Children's ears (more precisely, the Eustachian tube of this organ) are arranged so that any slightest effect can have a negative effect on them. According to statistics, 75% of children under the age of three years at least once encountered unpleasant sensations in this body. The child’s ears are 2 years old. A manifestation can express itself sharply and unexpectedly - at night, during a trip, in nature, at a party. If in a normal situation the parent immediately turns to the pediatrician, otolaryngologist, then here first aid should be provided independently. What is worth doing and what is not worth, how to really help your child, we will tell you further.
Possible external causes of pain
Does a child have 2 years old ears? First of all, remember what the baby was doing the last day, what he had been ill with recently. Pain may very well be an echo of a recent illness.
Most often, there are external reasons:
- If water gets into the child’s ear, this can easily cause pain. Especially if the liquid was cold or dirty.
- There is a foreign body in the ear. It could be pushed as the child himself, and it could get there on its own - flew in, crawled by an insect.
- Injury. From a simple bruise to a burn, hemorrhage, rupture of the eardrum.
- Sulfur plug in the ear (how to remove, we will tell you further).
- A recent walk in cold weather, with a strong wind without a hat or in a light cap.
When the ears of a child of 2 years hurt, sometimes the reason may be the use of low-quality children's hygiene or cosmetic products. In particular, shampoos for babies. Components in their composition, such as Sodium lauryl / LaurethSulfate, parabens, Coco Sulfate, dyes, PEG, MEA, silicones, DEA, TEA, can irritate the internal cavity of the abalone, getting there. This becomes the cause of pain.
Possible internal causes of pain
Why does a 2-year-old child have a sore ear? It can be not only external, but also internal factors:
- The most common ear diseases in children are otitis media and otitis media. The first type of disease often occurs as a result of colds or infections of the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx and oropharynx. External otitis media is inflammation of the external auditory canal. Often develops after damage to the latter, the formation of a boil in it, wounds.
- Otomycosis. A fungus that affects the auditory organ. Odor from a child’s ear can indicate both otitis media and this lesion.
- Inflammation of the Eustachian tube (Eustachitis).
- Viral infection.
- The consequence is not completely cured catarrhal disease. Or, on the contrary, the harbinger of its beginning.
- A number of diseases, painful sensations in which may well give into the ear. In particular, these are toothaches, tonsillitis, mumps or sinusitis.
- Inflammation of the auditory nerves.
- The development of tumor processes.
- Pathologies affecting nearby organs and systems - the brain, pharynx, neck, nose, eyes, nearby capillaries and blood vessels.
- High blood pressure - intracranial or arterial. Hypotension or circulatory disorders in the brain.
Does the ear hurt?
Young children still do not know how to accurately determine what is happening to them, what is bothering them. How to understand the parent that it hurts the ear? We give the following instruction:
- The child himself talks about it. He can cover his ear with his hand, rub it, try to clean it with his finger, pull back the lobe. Some guys strive to lie on a sore ear in order to somehow relieve pain.
- Temperature. With inflammatory processes in the ear, it is quite high - up to 39 °.
- The skin around the ear is peeling, it is swollen or has changed color. Lymph nodes near the auditory organ may also swell or redden.
- The child cries, is naughty, does not want to play. He has poor sleep and appetite.
- An alarming symptom is leakage of biological fluid (blood, pus) from the ear. In this case, you should immediately contact the doctors!
- A great danger to the life and health of the baby if pain in the ear is accompanied by dizziness and vomiting. This is a symptom that the inflammatory process has reached the inner ear.
The child has a sore ear and fever. Of course, with such a serious problem, you need to contact a pediatric doctor as soon as possible. But if, due to circumstances, it is not possible, then parents need to conduct diagnostics on their own in order to figure out what's wrong with the baby and help him.
The child has an ear pain - what can be done? We recommend that you first follow this algorithm:
- Carefully inspect the baby’s auricle in good light. It is possible that there is a foreign object. If it is not deep, then removing it is simple: tilt the child’s head down with the affected ear and gently pull its lobe. If the method does not give results, in no case do not use cotton swabs and tweezers! So you push the subject even deeper. It remains only to wait for qualified medical care.
- Is the ear inflammation in a child accurate ? Lightly press on the tragus (external protrusion-cartilage in front of the auditory meatus). If the child does not react in any way, then the pain in the ear only gives back. Its cause is another localization.
- Apply a thermometer. If the child has a sore ear and fever, it means that there is a place to be an inflammatory process. Most often it is otitis media and eustachitis. Only a dose of antipyretic according to the age and weight of the child will save the situation. Further treatment is prescribed by the doctor.
- Does the ear hurt without fever? The reason, most likely, is in external factors. Also, an increase in blood or intracranial pressure can manifest itself in a similar manner.
- Purulent discharge and their characteristic smell from the ear indicate the onset of inflammation.
- Is your ear swollen, unnaturally reddish or bluish in color? Most likely, this is an insect bite, a strong blow or bruise.
- If the child complains of itching, scratches the ear, then this is a fungal infection.
Ear pain in children is akin to toothache - they are naughty, screaming, worried, unable to sleep, refuse to eat. The baby himself and all those around him are tormented.
How to help a child? A few recommendations for parents:
- Call the local doctor at home. If the situation requires it, an ambulance crew.
- How to relieve a child’s ear pain before doctors arrive? It is enough to give the baby an analgesic suitable for his age, in the required dosage.
- A special alcohol compress will help alleviate the condition. The first layer is covered with gauze-impregnated gauze (you need to make a cutout for the auricle in it), then a layer of film or cellophane with the same hole. On top is a warm scarf, which wraps a sore ear and head.
- If the child has pain in the ear and high fever, then the antipyretic agent will ease the condition. Additionally, you can soak cotton wool with boron alcohol and plug it with a sore auditory canal. It is also important that the child in this state consume as much fluid as possible.
- If the baby has already had such cases, then you can drop in the ear drops that the pediatrician prescribed earlier. Most often it is Anauran, Otinum, Otipaks.
Important not only medical, but also moral help. Calm the child, try to distract him from pain. Turn on your favorite cartoon, do small whims. Such support is very important for a little man who does not understand what is happening to him.
What can be done?
If a child complains of severe pain in the ear, how can he help, and not harm? In any case, the following is acceptable:
- Give as much fluid as possible. Water helps the mucous membranes to function fully, removes intoxication products.
- Use antipyretic drugs. Especially when the temperature is high.
- Offer vitamins, herbal infusions to the child. For example, chamomile broth effectively helps the body fight inflammation.
What can not be done?
Note that the independent treatment of otitis media at home in a child is unacceptable! Incorrect therapy can lead to serious consequences.
The following cannot be done without an indication by a qualified otolaryngologist:
- Bury essential oils.
- Rinse the ear (if the child has perforation of the eardrum, then this can seriously harm him).
- Insert pieces of medicinal plants into the ears.
- To drip ear drops for adults or selected by you yourself, without the appointment of a doctor.
- To clean the ears from pus and other secretions with cotton buds. Pull out plugs, foreign bodies with tweezers or other tools.
- Introduce deep into the ear canal containing alcohol.
Treatment of otitis media in a child at home is possible only with the approval of the attending physician, using medications prescribed by a specialist. Amateur activities here should not be allowed. Remember that advanced otitis media or other inflammatory processes in the ear can lead to the development of abscesses in the brain, meningitis, mastoiditis.
We list the main tools that can help the baby with various pains in the ear:
- Antibiotics. Traditionally, children are prescribed penicillin injections. The course is 7-10 days. Such therapy is prescribed for inflammation, infectious diseases.
- Otipaks. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic. It is prescribed for children with otitis media. Keep in mind that the medicine contains lidocaine, to which the children's body often responds with an allergic reaction.
- Otofa. The medicine contains a powerful component, the antibiotic rifampicin. It is prescribed for acute infections, diseases of the middle ear.
- "Garazon". The drug has a general anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
- Otinum. It is applied since 1 year. It has a painkiller and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Sofradex Since the medicine belongs to powerful antibiotics, it is prescribed with caution to young children.
- Remo-Wax. Sulfur plug in the ear - how to remove? It is enough to use this drug according to the instructions.
- Hydrogen peroxide, Vishnevsky ointment, pine nut oil. They are prescribed for fungal infections. Rinsing is also used here (how to rinse the ear, we will analyze further). The event is necessary to disinfect the ear canal.
- Hydrogen peroxide, liquid paraffin. Drugs used to remove sulfur plugs.
And what if a sulfur plug in the ear is formed? How to remove it yourself? You need to turn to a simple procedure - washing the ear. It is indicated not only for sulfur plugs, but also for some forms of otitis media and other ear diseases. Note that with a number of inflammatory processes, such an event is contraindicated. Therefore, you need to contact him only with the permission of the attending physician.
The simplest washing procedure is using boiled water:
- Buy a syringe of the largest capacity in the pharmacy, remove the needle. It is important that the instrument is new and sterile! You can also use a special rubber bulb. It must be boiled (or doused with boiling water) before the procedure.
- If you remove the sulfuric plug in this way, then block the ear canal with a cotton swab for 10 minutes before the procedure. In the absence of air, the cork is slightly softened.
- Pre-boil and cool the water. It should be slightly warm at room temperature.
- Draw water into a syringe or pear.
- Pull the sick ear up and a few to the side so that water can drain from it during washing. To do this, pre-substitute the basin and or tray.
- Slowly, without sudden jolts and clicks, enter the fluid into the ear canal. Try to direct a trickle of water on the back wall of the ear, and not inland. This will protect the delicate eardrum from damage.
- The procedure is repeated 2-3 times. If you remove the sulfuric plug, then rinse until it comes out.
- If the procedure does not bring results (in the case of old, dried-up plugs), then you can drop a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide into the ear. She will soften education a little.
- Be sure to dry your ear after the procedure! If water remains in it, inflammation may develop. To do this, just plug the ear canal for a while with a cotton swab. Some moms use a warm (but not hot!) Airflow from a hairdryer.
Not all children calmly endure such a procedure. How to rinse your ear in this case? If you need to remove the sulfuric plug, then you can use special softening drops - "Aquamaris" and "Remo-wax." The drugs are instilled into the ear two to three times daily (course of treatment - 2-3 days). Sulfur cork after such use leaves the abalone on its own.
Parents sometimes use folk methods to remove plugs from the child’s ear. This is an instillation of hydrogen peroxide, heated vegetable oil, onion juice. However, these methods should be handled with caution - they are contraindicated in wounds, infections, and suspected perforation of the eardrum.
If your ears often hurt
If ear pain is a common occurrence in your child, then pay attention to the following tips:
- As directed by a doctor, purchase a vitamin complex for children with elements that help strengthen immunity.
- The key to health is a complete balanced diet. An individual nutritionist will help you develop it individually for your baby.
- After hygiene procedures, swimming in the pool, always dry the ear canals for the child.
- Protect the baby from drafts - do not open the front windows in the car, ventilate the room in its absence in the room.
- Even in warm weather, the child should wear a bonnet, a lightweight fabric cap covering his ears.
- Do not remove sulfur with cotton buds by immersing them deep in the ear canal. To prevent the formation of sulfur plugs, use special drops.
The ears of a small child hurt quite often, especially in babies 1-3 years old. Remember that it is better not to rely on self-medication, but to contact a specialist as soon as possible.