In the article, we will consider what this means - the eardrum is pulled in.
Hearing for a person is one of the main abilities, with the help of it we actively learn the world. For accurate transmission of sound vibrations to the auditory ossicles at the border of the outer and middle parts of the ear, there is a tympanic membrane, which also performs protective functions: it covers parts of the hearing organ from various bacteria, dirt and infections.
In a healthy state, the membrane is slightly stretched, but due to a number of pathological problems, its tension can change. What can cause such a violation as an inverted eardrum? How to determine and treat this condition, as well as return to its previous position? Let's try to deal with these issues.
The involvement of the eardrum is a painful deviation that needs to be eliminated as soon as possible. Since the disease creates discomfort, it is possible to recognize a violation of the membrane by sensations. Most often, symptoms of tympanic membrane involvement are manifested:
- hearing impairment;
- a feeling of fullness in the ear;
- extraneous noise;
- pain when swallowing.
An otolaryngologist will help to make an accurate diagnosis, determine whether the eardrum is pulled in, and also to prescribe the correct course of treatment. He will conduct an examination using an otoscope and determine the exact location of the membrane. Identify additional signs of a retracted eardrum associated with:
- turbidity or discoloration of the membrane;
- thinning of the membrane;
- tissue hyperemia;
- development of perforation;
- the presence of fluid in the middle ear;
- change or lack of a light reflex.
Doctors note several reasons for an eardrum:
- Eustachitis, or most often it is called tubootitis. For any disturbances in the functioning of the auditory tube, problems arise with normal ventilation and drainage of the middle ear cavity. When tissue swelling occurs, the channel is blocked, due to which the pressure changes, and the membrane is absorbed into the cavity. A severe runny nose and other diseases of the nasopharynx can lead to such consequences. What are other causes of an eardrum?
- Otitis. Inflammation resulting from eustachitis can cause a worsening of the situation. Other symptoms are added to the retraction of the membrane, which may develop perforation over time.
- Barotrauma. With large pressure drops in the external environment, a large negative effect on the state of the membrane is exerted. Abrupt exposure creates excessive stress and pushes the membrane. Concavity is mild to moderate, with severe rupture occurs.
Inverted eardrum: treatment
In order to cure pathology, a comprehensive course is required associated with:
- Blowing the Eustachian tube. This method restores ventilation and drainage function, equalizes the balance between atmospheric pressure and pressure in the cavity.
- Therapy of inflammation. If there is an inflammatory process that is provoked by a violation of the patency of the Eustachian tube, stop its focus and restore the healthy state of the tissues. For this, anti-inflammatory drugs are used, and in the case of a purulent process, antibiotics are prescribed.
- The use of vasoconstrictors. They relieve swelling and open the auditory tube.
- Vitamin Therapy. To strengthen immunity, restore the eardrum and eliminate the consequences of taking antibiotics, it is necessary to fill the body with vitamins and minerals. Nutrition should be adjusted, multivitamin complexes are prescribed.
- Paracentesis, i.e., an incision of the membrane. The operation is used, if necessary, to equalize the pressure and remove fluid from the ear cavity.
Eustachitis and its symptoms
Acute tubootitis can become a complication after the flu or ARVI. It manifests itself with the following symptoms:
- Congestion in a sore ear.
- The audibility of his voice in a sore ear.
- Noise and buzz in the ears.
- Impaired coordination of movements.
- The feeling of "transfusion of fluid" in the ear.
- Hearing impairment.
- Slight discharge from a sore ear.
Patients did not experience a rise in temperature and severe pain. If the inflammatory processes are not treated, then the disease becomes chronic, which is further difficult to treat and may result in hearing loss.
Clinical signs of the disease
The clinical signs of chronic tubo-otitis include:
- mucosal changes;
- discoloration and mobility of the eardrum;
- narrowing of the lumen of the Eustachian tube;
- the appearance of redness on the mucosa;
- bursting and pressure in the ear.
During remission, the working capacity of patients is preserved, their health is satisfactory.
How is eustachitis treated?
In order to prescribe the correct treatment, it is necessary to establish the cause of the disease. After determining the exact diagnosis, the doctor prescribes the following therapy:
- Antibacterial in case of infectious tubootitis. To do this, prescribe an antibiotic for instillation into the ear: Normax, Otof, Tsipromed; for oral administration "Amoxicillin", "Ampicillin", "Azithromycin"; antibacterial drugs for the course of injections - "Cefazolin", "Netilmicin." Self-administration of any drugs is unacceptable, as this can worsen the general condition of the patient.
- Treatment with antihistamines, if the disease is caused by allergic tubootitis, in this case, "Cetrin", "Diazolin", "Loratadine" are prescribed.
- To relieve the symptoms of eustachitis, vasoconstrictive drops are used for the nose, which reduce swelling of the mucous membrane (Naphthyzinum, Rinonorm, Xylometazolinum).
- Immunomodulatory drugs that increase immunity are Polyoxidonium, Immunorix, Bronchomunal.
- To reduce inflammation and thin the transudate, a hydrocortisone is introduced through the catheter into the middle ear region.
For the treatment of inflammation of the Eustachian tube, the elimination of the focus of infection is of great importance. To do this, carry out such procedures as: adenoidectomy, tonsillectomy, removal of neoplasms, septoplasty.
Symptoms and treatment of eustachitis are interrelated.
Physiotherapy with eustachitis
Physiotherapeutic procedures are an indispensable element for the treatment of the disease:
- Pneumatic massage of the tympanic membrane will increase its elasticity, reduce stress and will be able to normalize the mobility of the auditory ossicles.
- Laser therapy will help to cope with inflammatory processes, reduce swelling, cleanse the body of toxins and reduce the allergic reaction.
- Ural federal district has an immunostimulating, analgesic and general strengthening effect.
- UHF-therapy stimulates lymph and blood circulation, accelerates the work of internal organs.
To prevent the development of pathologies, patients are recommended:
- Avoid sudden changes in pressure, hypothermia, drafts and exclude diving and mountain climbing.
- Pay special attention to the blowing process. The procedure should be carried out carefully, first holding the left nostril and open your mouth, then repeat on the other side.
- It is mandatory to use antihistamines in case of an allergic reaction, and vasoconstrictor drugs for respiratory diseases.
- Use hardening procedures that will help avoid SARS and reduce the risk of developing eustachitis.
- Limit prolonged travel on airplanes.
The consequences of pathology
If treatment is not carried out for a long time, this can lead to unpleasant results.
- The patient may experience discomfort, there is a risk of developing hearing loss. Hearing is reduced due to loss of sensitivity, the amplitude of its oscillations during the passage of sound waves decreases.
- Due to the stress to which the membrane is exposed, its structure is disturbed. And if there is a lack of vitamins in the body and collagen production is slowed down, the situation is even worse. As a result, the membrane becomes thinner and its sound conductivity deteriorates. There is a greater risk of breaking it. Most of all it is dangerous for children, as they often suffer from this ailment. Therefore, treatment should be started immediately, as soon as the first signs of pathology appear.
If the symptoms of an inverted eardrum were detected in time and correctly diagnosed by a specialist, then the treatment will not take much time and labor. The recovery processes of the ears are very fast, so do not worry even when prescribing surgery.