Tinnitus is an ailment familiar to many. And it is especially unpleasant when something squishes in the ear. The reason may be that water has entered the organ of hearing. But it can also be a symptom of the disease. It is not always possible to independently determine the cause of extraneous sounds. It is better to immediately contact the ENT for an accurate diagnosis and treatment.
It happens that a symptom can pass without medical intervention. And it may happen that squishy sounds in the ear are a signal of the development of the disease. Without proper treatment, this symptom can go into the inflammatory process. It is possible that this foreign body or sulfur clogged the ear canal. In any case, only ENT decides what treatment will be, but only after a reliable diagnosis is established.
Sulfur cork formation
When gurgling sounds appear in the organ of hearing, this does not always mean that water has got into the ear and does not come out. Most often here are completely different reasons. Let's look at them.
For example, the formation of sulfuric cork often occurs. It is because of it that extraneous sounds appear. It is possible that even a sensation appears that something is squelching in the ear. Hearing impairment is also possible. Discomfort may appear, similar to a stuffy ear canal. The sulfur plug itself is not very dangerous. The bad news is that it can interfere with the removal of water from the ear, which could get into the hearing organ while swimming. Cork can also create a favorable environment for the development of pathogenic bacteria.
The beginning of the inflammatory process
It may be accompanied by a sensation of water in the ear. But over time, pains appear. The temperature rises. One of the main organ diseases are:
- otitis media (here, this is an internal inflammation of the ear);
- eustachitis (this is an inflammatory process of the auditory tube and tympanum);
- otomycosis (when damage to the ear canal is due to mold or yeast).
With these diseases, a sensation of fluid in the ear occurs due to the accumulation of pus behind the eardrum. It irritates the receptors and the auditory bones, accordingly a sound appears, squishes in the ear as if water had entered the ear canal. The inflammatory process is the most dangerous cause of the appearance of extraneous sounds. It is accompanied by inflammation and other symptoms:
- Body temperature rises. And you can bring it down only after the treatment of the auditory canal begins. The temperature is kept at high levels, above 38 degrees.
- In the auricle there is a feeling of discomfort, pain, which can be, as with pressure on the ear, or constant.
- Headache and dizziness.
- Hearing loss, feeling of stuffiness. The reason is the presence of pus and loss of elasticity of the eardrum.
- When the disease is neglected, discharge from the auricle appears. It can be just a liquid, as well as pus.
Presence of water in the auricle
Why squish in the ear? The reason for this is the presence of water in the auricle. She can get in any way. When swimming (at sea, in a river, in the pool). Children can simply play with water, and it can accidentally fall into their ears. Trouble often happens when washing your head, ears. If there are no pathologies, then water can flow out on its own, without medical intervention. Although, the structure of the ear canal is individual. When there are strong bends or other structural features, water can easily flow further (from the outer ear to the middle). Here, the ENT should be involved in water removal.
There are several other reasons that provoke the feeling that something is squelching in the ear.
- Hearing loss. Congenital or acquired. The sensation of water in the ear occurs due to malfunctioning of the hearing organs.
- Damage to the auditory nerve due to illness or injury.
- Heart diseases. It so happens that there is a sensation of water in the ears simply with increasing pressure.
- A foreign object has entered the ear canal. It may even be that a fly just crawled into the sink while a person took an evening walk.
- Sometimes this is a signal that a tumor is developing in the body.
- Ear injury. No matter how funny it sounds, cotton buds are a common cause of such an injury.
If you experience any discomfort in the ear region, you should definitely consult an otolaryngologist. After identifying the cause, treatment will be prescribed. If it turns out that the problem is much more serious, then the ENT will send the patient for examination to specialists of a narrower profile.
Even a child understands when there is a feeling that something is squishy in the ear. Treatment should be prescribed by a doctor. Unfortunately, there are adults who are trying to solve the problem on their own. At home, it is impossible to determine the cause correctly, and even more so to choose the right treatment. For example, even with inflammatory processes in the ear, completely different drops are prescribed.
Drug treatment of otitis media
Treatment is prescribed depending on what stage the disease is at and where the inflammation is located - the outer, middle or inner ear. If there is purulent discharge from the auricle, then treatment will occur under the strict supervision of a physician. Inpatient treatment may be prescribed. Medicines for otitis media:
- Antibiotics for the destruction of microbes that provoked the inflammatory process. They are prescribed for the neglect of the disease. Or when it is revealed that the cause of inflammation is microbes (Amoxicillin, Amoxiclav, Ciprofloxacin, Cefolexin).
- Ear drops. They are useful if the disease was detected on time. Or when the patient got better. Drops may be alcohol-containing, containing antibiotics. The choice is simply huge. Therefore, it is the ENT that prescribes drops and dosage. Drops containing NSAIDs - Otipaks, Otinum; containing glucocorticoids - "Anauran", "Polydex"; containing antibiotic - “Normax”, “Otofa”.
- If the pathogen is a fungus, then antifungal drugs (Candibiotic) will be prescribed.
- Drugs that help strengthen the immune system. They fit well with almost any treatment (Immunorix, Likopid, Polyoxidonium).
- Antihistamines. They help reduce swelling, accelerate recovery (Suprastin, Claritin, Zirtek).
From the listed drugs, it is clear that without a doctor there simply can not be understood. Moreover, improperly selected treatment will only aggravate the picture and can lead to hearing loss.
Disposal of cerumen
If there is a suspicion that the cause of gurgling in the ear is sulfuric plug, then not cotton buds will help to remove it. The treatment method should be prescribed only by a doctor, for example:
- If the cork is small and quite soft, then you can remove it using drops. The dosage and duration of therapy will depend on the size of the cork. The most important rule is that after instillation of the drops into the ear, it will be necessary to plug the ear canal with cotton wool, but so that it does not absorb the medicine. Lie down on your side (if the right ear is buried, lie on the left side and vice versa). After 15 minutes, open the auditory meatus and let the sulfur plug go out with the drops. After it is advisable to rinse the auricle with boiled water. The temperature should be 38 degrees. If the temperature is lower, you can earn ear inflammation.
- When the cork is already old, large, dry, the procedure will take place in two stages. To remove the cork, drops of hydrogen peroxide will be instilled into the auricle. The steps described above are repeated. After the peroxide is removed from the ear, the second stage begins. The ear is washed with saline or furatsilina solution.
- The most common way is to rinse with water. You can, of course, carry out this procedure at home, with the help of a pear. But it is better if the ENT does it. To do this, they have a special syringe (without a needle, which unknowing people are afraid of). It is the doctor who can calculate the desired pressure, and after the procedure will determine the plug has come out completely or only part of it.
Water has entered
When there is fluid in the ear, treatment is most often done on its own. If the water is in the right ear, then you need to tilt your head to the right side and jump on the right leg until the fluid flows out on its own. In this case, you must have a fulcrum, for example, with your hand to stick to the table. Otherwise, you may fall and injure yourself.
You can make a cotton tube (turunda), moisten it with oil and insert it into your ear. Vata absorbs liquid, and oil helps not to damage the skin of the ear canal. This method is convenient for removing moisture from the ears in young children. So that the child does not act up, you can feed him at this time. Swallowing food helps the movement of water, so cotton is absorbed faster in cotton.
The easiest way is to lie on your back and slowly, just slowly, turn your head in the direction in which the water has fallen and does not come out. Then the fluid will calmly flow naturally.
If water gets in and your ear hurts, what should I do? Boric alcohol helps well. It is necessary to drip a few drops into a diseased organ of hearing. It disinfects the auricle well (this is useful, especially if the water was dirty). Alcohol itself evaporates well.
It is better to prevent fluid from entering your ears when taking water procedures. For swimming, use rubber caps. When going to the bath, you can plug your ears with a cotton swab. If the child does not like hats and does not allow cotton wool to be inserted, then you can lubricate the ear canal with greasy cream. It will prevent water from entering. Since the oil film will repel fluid. Water itself, getting into the ear canal, carries no danger. But if the weather is cool outside, then it will cause inflammation. Here you already need to start treatment. You must immediately tell your doctor what caused the ear inflammation.
There are still reasons that cause gurgling in the ears, which do not carry any danger.
- When there is a sharp contraction of the muscles in the ear canal: sneezing, sharp cry. At this time, the bones rub against each other, and the hearing organs perceive this as squelching.
- Contraction of the larynx muscles and auditory tube. This occurs when swallowing.
But whatever the nature of the appearance of third-party sounds in the ears, gurgling, noise, crackling. It is always best to consult an otolaryngologist. Do not be afraid of doctors. Such a seemingly non-hazardous symptom can turn into a serious disease that may require serious treatment. And it’s good if everything goes without consequences. Moreover, unnatural sounds interfere with a normal lifestyle, interfere with full sleep, communication, do not allow you to fully delve into the work and so on. It is better to start treatment right away than to correct mistakes later.