The modern world is full of stress, illness, exhaustion and a feeling of imbalance. Once, in the midst of daily hustle and bustle, a person stops and realizes that he has already gone so far from the world in his soul. And then the search begins for a means that can return the feeling of the happiness of being. Many seekers find a way out of the situation in Eastern practices. Yoga has long been perceived not just as a gymnastics system, but as a profound philosophy leading to the harmony of body and mind.
What does hatha yoga mean?
Translated literally, “ha” means the sun, “tha” means the moon. The sun and moon are opposites, just like heaven and earth, man and woman, activity and passivity. That is, that which is significantly different, but cannot exist without each other. These are opposites that, when merged, give a harmonious whole. “Yoga” - “union”, “unity”. Thus, hatha yoga is a process of fusion of opposites, which leads to harmony.
In practice, it looks like this: each of us has good intentions and evil inside us, the desire to be together with someone and at the same time to be alone, to have employment and to be free. Opposite desires literally tear us apart, the mind becomes restless, a lot of energy is wasted. And to stop this endless round dance of thoughts and desires, it is enough to practice yoga.
Hatha yoga - this does not mean just freezing in the reach of an ordinary mortal pose. This is a whole range of practices. It allows you to heal the body with the help of asanas, and pacify the mind with the help of breathing (pranayama), and begin spiritual growth (meditation), and learn to live in the "here and now" (concentration).
Benefits of Hatha Yoga Practice
Yoga classes can be very beneficial.
- First of all, the benefits of doing yoga can be assessed for health reasons. The spine becomes flexible, and the pain in it goes away. Joints and ligaments also become younger and more mobile. Hatha yoga asanas restore the normal functioning of the endocrine, respiratory, circulatory, and also digestive systems.
- Emotional balance. The body and emotions are very connected. Undergoing stress, the body tenses in response. Chronic stress is the guarantor of chronic clamps. But the reverse mechanism also works. The body relaxes - anxiety, fear, depression disappear. Heavy emotions go away, and quiet happiness, balance, the ability to enjoy every moment, enjoy shades and tastes fill the soul.
- Hatha yoga for beginners promotes the interaction of the hemispheres of the brain, which means they increase mental abilities, contribute to the development of creative thinking, perception of the world not through stereotypes.
- Beauty. Not only internal, but also external. Hatha yoga asanas make even posture and elastic muscles, improve blood circulation and intestinal function, which means they help to reduce excess weight. Yoga slows down the aging process in the body.
Are there any contraindications?
Despite all the likely benefits of practicing yoga, there are many contraindications for performing asanas. However, if you start classes under the supervision of an experienced instructor, then some of these diseases can be treated with practice. Take care of yourself, especially if you have:
- mental disorders or borderline states of the psyche;
- problems with heart;
- spinal injuries ;
- history of traumatic brain injury;
- blood diseases;
- malignant tumors.
Preparing for Hatha Yoga Practice
It’s not such a simple thing - hatha yoga for beginners. The very first poses should be preceded by preparation and basic knowledge. Since hatha yoga is not just a set of exercises, but a holistic philosophy of life, the following rules are mandatory.
- It is worth abandoning the use of alcohol and drugs, as well as meat, not only before yoga, but in general.
- The perfect start to the morning is hatha yoga. Exercise is best done after taking a shower and going to the toilet.
- Having breakfast before yoga practice is not recommended. You can eat only an hour after the asanas.
- Preventilate the room. In summer, you can do yoga in the lap of nature.
- Clothing for classes should be made from natural materials.
- Use a non-slip mat for bedding.
The philosophy of yoga is a harmonious combination of all four components in practice: asanas, pranayama, meditation and concentration. Hatha yoga for beginners is, first of all, the practice of conscious, full, purifying breath. Here are some basic pranayama exercises:
- Abdominal breathing. Exhale completely air and at the same time draw in the stomach. On inspiration, we bulge out the stomach very much. Important: the chest is motionless. (Such breathing reduces pressure and improves intestinal motility.)
- Middle breath. On inspiration, the ribs move apart like accordion furs, on exhalation, squeeze them as much as possible. (Blood circulation in the abdominal organs improves.)
- Full breath. We collect air with the stomach, expand the ribs, raise the clavicles. Inhale takes a wave-like motion. You should exhale in the opposite order - the clavicles relax, then the ribs, and only after that the stomach. (With full breathing, you can achieve complete relaxation, calm the mind and restore the nervous system.)
- Ujine. We take a full breath at the expense of 8, we hold the breath for 8 seconds. At the count of 8 we exhale, pronouncing the sound “C”. Then repeat the cycle without delay. It is important to focus on the thyroid gland when doing the exercise. (Thanks to such breathing, low pressure returns to normal, the thyroid gland is stimulated.)
- Cleansing breath. It is performed standing. Inhalation, as with full breathing, exhalation is performed through the closed lips, in jerks, with tension of the abdominal muscles, diaphragm, ribs. (It helps with headaches. It can be used as a prophylaxis of infectious diseases and their treatment.)
Hatha Yoga: Poses to Start with
The most accessible even for beginners is balance exercises. They do not require special training - this is the perfect hatha yoga for beginners. Poses almost immediately bring more calm, balance and harmony to your life.
- Vrikshasana - the pose of a tree. The legs are shoulder-width apart, arms are extended along the body, the spine is even, the gaze is directed forward. Bend the right leg at the knee and use your hands to press it to your stomach. Do not forget about full breath. Perform this exercise on the other leg.
- Tree pose. The second option. The starting position is vriksasana. Turn the right leg with the knee to the side, the foot rests on the thigh of the left leg. Hands extended up, palms connected. On inspiration - we reach upwards, on exhalation - we relax.
- Chaturanga Dandasana. Lying we rest on arms and legs. We bend our arms at an angle of 90 ° and raise the body parallel to the floor. Head stretch forward, legs - back.
These poses have a favorable effect on the spine, allow you to open the chest, develop the flexibility of ligaments and the flexibility of thinking.
- Uttanasana. Legs shoulder width apart, arms along the body, spine straight. Exhale - bend down and try to touch the knees with your forehead, and palms should be put on the floor. On inhalation we stretch, on exhalation we bend down.
- Adho Mukha Shvanasana. Starting position - previous pose. Palms on the floor, feet back. The back with respect to the legs is at an angle of 90 about . The tailbone is directed upwards. The back and arms form a straight line. The head is relaxed. Hold the pose for several cycles of complete breathing.
- Warrior Pose. Starting position - previous pose. Left foot - at an angle of 45 about the previous position. The left leg steps forward, the thigh parallel to the floor. Raise your hands up, fold your palms together. On inspiration - we reach upwards, on exhalation - we relax.
A fascinating and uncomplicated lesson is hatha yoga for beginners. The very first poses have already been mastered, then you can go to classes with the spine.
- Kakasana - Crow pose. Sitting on the floor, pull the heels to the buttocks. We put our hands behind our back, lean on them. Without lifting your heels off the floor, touch the belly of your hips. If not difficult, then put your hands in front of you, joining in the palms of your hands.
- Pashchimottanasana. Sitting on the floor, stretch straight legs in front of you. Inhale - raise your hands up. Exhale - lower and hug the palms of the feet. Inhale - pull your back up. Exhale - stretch chest to legs. Perform the exercise for a couple of minutes.
- Purvottanasana. Starting position - sitting on the floor. The legs are bent at an angle of 90 °, hands behind the back, rest on the floor. Inhale - the pelvis rises, the back is parallel to the floor, the stomach is pulled up. Exhale - go down.
Pose to complete
The complex of exercises ends with a deep relaxation technique. Lying on the floor, arms and legs are slightly spread to the sides. Consistently relax the body from the tips of the toes to the crown of the head. The breath is deep.
Hatha yoga is not just good plastic, but a practice that can transform your whole life, allow you to see the colors of the world and return the perception of the baby.