Why brings legs together in a dream? This phenomenon can be uncontrolled and quite intense. The condition is of varying duration. Pain can also be of varying degrees. In this review, we will consider how to independently deal with this problem, as well as what complications arise.
Why does a person have legs in a dream? We describe the approximate stages of the occurrence of seizures:
- Under the influence of various adverse factors, the body begins to feel the lack of such an important compound as adenosine triphosphoric acid.
- As a result, lactic acid accumulates in the tissues.
- The increased content of metabolites leads to insufficient muscle relaxation and the appearance of spontaneous seizures in the lower extremities.
The appearance of the considered night phenomena can also be associated with a violation of the nervous regulation of muscles. This can lead to a decrease in the threshold of excitability and muscle contractions even under the influence of weak nerve impulses.
Let’s take a closer look at why he brings his foot together during sleep. Convulsions can occur suddenly, for no particular reason. In some cases, these sensations pass independently and do not require medical intervention. Doctors say that spasms of the lower extremities can be caused by certain factors:
- a change in the nature of motor activity;
- exacerbation of chronic diseases;
- psycho-emotional overload;
- prolonged stay in adverse climate.
Very often, night cramps appear in people leading a sedentary lifestyle. As a rule, the cause of the development of spasms is the situation when, after a long stay in a sitting position, a person begins to move actively. Often in a dream brings the feet of athletes after forced inaction.
The cause of seizures also, as a rule, is increased nervous excitability. The contraction of muscle fibers in this case can be triggered by unrest, anxiety and stress.
The development of seizures can provoke many exacerbated chronic diseases. The diseases causing the convulsive syndrome include varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, endocrine pathologies. These disorders have a negative effect on the entire body, including muscle tissue. As a result, the patient may develop spontaneous muscle contractions at night.
The appearance of the syndrome in question is also caused by a prolonged stay in the cold. The situation is aggravated in the presence of the above factors. If cramps in the legs appear regularly, it is necessary to establish the exact cause of the pathology and undergo a certain course of therapy. Pathology in the absence of proper treatment can lead to such unpleasant consequences as osteochondrosis, flat feet, degenerative processes in the lower extremities.
Why do cramps occur at night?
This aspect should be given special attention. What to do if it takes your foot while sleeping? The first thing you must do is deal with the causes of this phenomenon.
Consider the most common factors:
- Deficiency of minerals and vitamins (potassium, magnesium, calcium, vitamin B6): a lack of these elements occurs due to improper nutrition. As a result, disturbances in the functioning of the nervous and circulatory systems occur. Cramps and cramping are the most characteristic manifestation.
- Physical overload: very often in a dream brings legs after serious physical activity. Also, cramps can occur with an uneven alternation of physical activity and rest. The appearance of this condition is also associated with the absence of intervals between muscle contractions and relaxation.
- Non-compliance with the drinking regime, dehydration: with the loss of large volumes of fluid by the body, the withdrawal of salts responsible for the normal functioning of muscle tissues can be accelerated. Cramping in the lower extremities occurs if active fluid loss has not been offset by drinking. For normal functioning, the human body must receive 20 ml of fluid per kilogram of body weight.
- Sudden changes in temperature: with thermal shock or hypothermia, muscle spasm begins to develop. Changes can cause sudden temperature fluctuations - more than 10 degrees.
- Nervous strain and stress: negative emotions can provoke disturbances in the body, including convulsive contractions of muscle fibers. Also, stress causes the release of hormones that cause potassium deficiency.
Why does it bring legs together at night, during sleep? Some diseases can also cause similar symptoms. Violations of metabolic processes, various injuries, toxic and food poisoning lead to the development of convulsive syndrome. Leg cramps often signal the occurrence of pathologies of the lower extremities. One possible cause is varicose veins.
Cramps in the calf muscles
So what do you need to know about this? Why in a dream reduces calves? Cramping in this area is usually associated with wearing uncomfortable shoes during the day. Also, unpleasant conditions occur with flat feet or thrombophlebitis. Seizures can still occur due to excessive enthusiasm for diets. In this case, the body lacks minerals and vitamins.
One of the causes of seizures that extend to the toes is serious diseases of the musculoskeletal system such as arthrosis or arthritis. In this case, muscle cramps can be accompanied by pain and numbness. Toes often reduces after hypothermia. The cause of the unpleasant symptom is still poorly selected shoes, overweight, frequent stress, malnutrition and pregnancy.
Often, cramps in the toes bother those who are on a protein diet. This diet leads to the elimination of calcium from the body. As a result, involuntary contractions of the muscles of the foot in various departments may occur.
Leg cramps during pregnancy
Often in women, while carrying a child, it brings legs together in a dream. The reasons are as follows:
- Lack of magnesium, calcium, potassium and glucose in the body.
- Compression of blood vessels by a growing fetus. The uterus begins to put pressure on the veins, thereby reducing the outflow of blood.
- Iron deficiency anemia: leads to a decrease in hemoglobin and iron levels in the blood.
The cause of cramping in the legs can also be the use of diuretics. Often cramps in the calf muscles appear due to lack of motor activity. As a rule, this symptom is observed during the active growth of the fetus (2-3rd trimester). Spasms in the lower extremities in early pregnancy can be caused by toxicosis.
Leg cramps in children
Often children complain about having a leg cramp in a dream. Why can this symptom appear at such an early age? Experts believe that these manifestations are a consequence of the immaturity of the central nervous system. The inhibition processes in the child's body are not yet sufficiently regulated. As a result, muscle tension occurs.
Doctors confirm that the development of a convulsive syndrome in a child can be caused by some factors that influenced the fetus while it was in the womb. These include the intake by the future mother of specific drugs, as well as various diseases that she suffered during pregnancy. Birth defects and viral diseases contribute to the development of the disorder. In addition, leg cramps can occur even in absolutely healthy children before the age of 1 year.
Types of Cramping
If at night in a dream he brought his foot together, and even more so, if this happened repeatedly, it is necessary to understand what kind of convulsion is.
In medicine, the main types of spasms are distinguished:
- Tonic: with their development, dysfunction lasts from 4 minutes or more. Man cannot control a limb. Any movements are accompanied by the appearance of severe pain.
- Clonic: short-term cramps, accompanied by pulling of individual muscle groups.
- Localized: pain and convulsive syndrome cover a specific muscle and do not affect other parts of the legs.
- Generalized: pathology extends to the entire system of limb muscles. Such cramps are most often a symptom of a serious illness.
Why brings legs together in a dream? Frequent protracted convulsions may indicate the presence of serious violations in the functioning of the body.
What to do if in a dream brings legs together? Night cramps cause a lot of concern. Therefore, it is extremely important to know how to cope with this condition:
- First of all, you need to give the body the correct position. To do this, the patient should lie on a flat horizontal surface.
- Try to unlock the reduced muscles. To do this, you can try to stretch the affected area.
- If you have severe pain, take a painkiller. The easiest way is to drink Paracetamol.
- After first aid, the patient should be provided with complete rest. It is advisable not to do any leg loads during the next day.
What to do if legs cramp and nobody is nearby:
- Take a sitting position.
- Stretch your legs forward.
- Grasp the fingers of the problem leg.
- Pull them toward you with effort.
Try to put your foot on the floor, get up and walk. In some cases, it helps to relieve spastic muscle tension with a pin into a cramped limb, due to which the nerve endings switch to a new stimulus, and the muscles relax.
If all the actions are performed correctly, then soon the discomfort will pass.
If cramps occur in a dream regularly, you should think about undergoing a comprehensive examination. First of all, you should consult a phlebologist. To detect varicose veins, the doctor may prescribe an ultrasound scan of the veins. You will also need to take tests to determine the amount of magnesium, potassium and calcium in the blood.
To assess the condition of the lumbar spine, you will need to consult a neurologist. Additionally, an endocrinologist may still need to be consulted.
What experts say about the problem
To get rid of cramps at night, doctors recommend a comprehensive treatment. To eliminate this pathology, you need to take special medications, do exercises. Alternative medicine is also highly effective.
Women with leg cramps are prescribed a course of taking such drugs as Diazepam, Phenytoin, Valproate, and Benzonal.
If convulsions were triggered by a deficiency of potassium and magnesium, you will need to take a course of taking vitamin complexes.
To eliminate the convulsive syndrome, it is also recommended to do special exercises.
Here are just a few of them:
- Raising the legs up the wall (the same movement can be used to combat sudden night cramps).
- Raising legs while sitting on a chair, circular movements of the feet.
- Sharp flexion and extension of the toes.
Training is advisable to do before bedtime. This significantly reduces the likelihood of night attacks.