Universal dividing head (UDG) is used for processing metal workpieces on a milling machine. This element allows you to carry out several types of operations for finishing products, taking into account the peculiarities of their configuration, used for the production of complex parts. As a rule, the equipment is equipped with this device as standard. Otherwise, you will need to choose the right model according to the characteristics of the existing turning device.
The dividing head allows you to transform the workpiece into the desired configuration by moving the part relative to the axis of the machine equipment.
UDG is fixed on the bed of the unit by various types of fasteners, depending on the type of nozzle. The working position is adjusted using movable handles and a disk, which is equipped with holes for mounting the dividing unit.
Features of the tool in question:
- Milling surface grooves. This process does not require perfect accuracy, taking into account the correct control of the depth and width of the workpiece.
- Ability to create faces on parts. This operation is advisable in the manufacture of nuts with non-standard parameters, as well as working tools and workpiece shanks. Such manipulations require high precision.
- Milling work on the processing of grooves and slots. In this case, significant movement of the workpiece may be required.
The universal dividing head is used to increase the speed of work. However, it should not be subjected to constant reinstallation. Changing the position in relation to the milling cutter is done by placing the device in the desired position. Particular attention should be paid to this process when forming screw-type grooves. Their manufacture is possible exclusively with the use of high-precision modification of the site.
Before buying a dividing head, be sure to check its compatibility with your existing machine. Any home-made interferences in the design and unprofessional alterations can negatively affect the final quality of the product.
Taking into account the specifics of the tool in question, you should choose a dividing head for a particular milling machine. Elements are divided into several types and types, differing in the installation method, dimensions, operation principle and technical parameters.
Particular attention is paid to the accuracy of the implementation of the work. In addition, take into account the complexity and accuracy of the settings of equipment for operation. This approach allows you to choose a modification with high accuracy and permissible errors. Having certain skills and suitable tools, UDG can be done independently.
Dividing heads for milling machines have the following classification:
- Simple model. It is lightweight and easy to operate. The main part is the spindle, which fixes the workpiece and connects to the disk limb. This element has several holes that allow you to offset the workpiece relative to the milling axis.
- Combined options. Devices are adjustable using the handle. With a large number of clicks, the distance of the center axis of the workpiece from the torch increases.
- Universal samples are complex equipment that requires adjustment through the participation of a disk element and a handle. The process is carried out with the participation of differential gears.
Deciphering the marking of the dividing head will determine the model and the possibilities of its use. Using the modification UDG-40-D250 as an example, consider the following notation:
- UDG is a universal dividing head.
- 40 - gear ratio indicating the number of revolutions of the spindle handle when turning 360 degrees.
- D250 - the maximum permissible dimensions of the workpiece.
Samples of the category UDG are most often used to form edges and surfaces of increased complexity.
Setting up dividing heads
Possible tool transitions depend on the type of device and its technical parameters. The processing accuracy is determined by dividing the existing scale, the indicators of which correspond to the 7th (GOST-1.758) or 9th (GOST-1.643) calibration level.
The main tuning process is to determine the dimensions of the pitch circle sector. In addition, the diameter of the circle and the number of compartments into which it is divided are taken into account.
The process of setting up an element consists of the following steps:
- Transform 360 degrees of full diameter into the required number of divisions by sectors.
- The sine of the resulting calculated angle is determined.
- The fixture disk is set according to this indicator.
- The block body is fixed using a handle or a clamping mechanism, after which the working part of the tool is mounted.
The formula for calculating the required angle can be found in the manual for the UDG. The workpiece to be processed is fixed on the mandrel of the machine, a longitudinal displacement of the table is performed, and finishing is performed. The feed step is affected by the type of processing. To increase productivity, after the completion of the next working cycle, use the accelerated return of the table to its original position. Fixation of elements in the measuring holes of the disk is carried out by means of springs.
DIY dividing head
The disadvantages of the tool in question include high cost. In this regard, the dividing head for simple operations can be done independently. You will need a set of the following components:
- A worm-type gearbox that can be selected from the equipment of old machines or machined by hand.
- Lathe chuck with limb (suitable size - 65 mm in diameter).
- Restrictive screw.
Before the production process, you must configure the dividing part. This will help any standard part or machined figure of a certain format. After a comparative test with an analog, an additional calibration of the instrument is carried out. The cost of the dividing head with your own hands will be an order of magnitude lower than the factory analogue, the price of which starts from 40-50 thousand rubles.