Each resource has a semantic core, which is a webmaster using keywords, phrases and links. A competent specialist knows before saturating the site with content, you need to understand what to include in it, namely, what the user is looking for through the search engine, in other words, to analyze the search query. To give step-by-step instructions for its implementation, you need to understand what constitutes a search query.
Key phrase and search query
A keyword or phrase is what we type in the search bar on Google or Yandex. Using this key, the search engine ranks the semantic core of sites and gives those that are most relevant, that is, match the search criteria. The position of a resource is determined by its regular updating, linking, the volume of the link mass, and many others. But the key role, of course, here is the content of the site with literate relevant texts with popular key phrases.
How to understand what, where and when the user is looking for, and which keys to use in text content? You can take a notebook and write out the most suitable options, in your opinion, that the user can “drive” into the search bar, or you can simplify this step and use the keyword generators from leading search engines:
- For Google, adwords.google.com
- for Yandex - wordstat.yandex.ru;
- for Rambler - adstat.rambler.ru;
- for Mail - webmaster.mail.ru.
Analysis of search queries and competitors of the site begins with this step - making a list of keywords.
Having determined for yourself the search engine where you want to move forward, you need to go to one of the services mentioned above. For example, if you are analyzing search queries in Yandex, then you need to go to wordstat.yandex.ru, specify the region that interests you (a specific city, country or select all regions) and enter a keyword in the search bar. Yandex Analytics will display 2 lists for us - the first will show everything you searched for with the entered word, the second will show synonyms and queries similar to the ones you are looking for. Plus, each line will indicate how many times such a request was entered during the month. You select the most popular and closest in meaning to your key and on their basis make up the semantic core of your site, that is, write texts using these key phrases.
The analysis of Google search queries has the same principle of operation, except that to view statistics here you need to register as an advertiser. But you will be able to view not only the most popular queries, but also the level of competition for the keys you are looking for, as well as the estimated cost per click for advertising.
It is important that the analysis of the search query is carried out for each product, if it is an online store. For example, on a site with a building theme, it’s not enough to track statistics only by the word “hammer”. This must be done for each item in the assortment.
Compilation of the semantic core
It is important to correctly enter the received keys into the text:
- they should be found quite often in various word forms, including in direct and diluted occurrences, in the changed case, using synonyms;
- Images must contain a signature for a key request;
- the key should appear in headers and listings;
- there are phrases highlighted in bold or italics from the text.
The items listed indicate that the text is adapted for the average user who will read it. This means that a site with such content will cause more confidence on the part of the search engine, which will allow it to occupy the top lines of the search query.
Work with search
So, we have a site filled with quality popular content. Is it possible to stop there? Of course not. Statistics of search queries is extremely dynamic and constantly changing under the influence of factors such as demand, seasonality, trends, etc. Therefore, analysis of search queries requires regular assessment of traffic and work with search.
So, you should evaluate how the position of the resource changed after the keys were turned on. To do this, they turn to monitoring services - LoadImpact, Energoslon, etc. They will show what place the site occupies in the search results for a particular keyword. For example, at the request "building store Moscow" - 5th place, for "buy building materials Moscow" - 3rd place. And so it is advisable to do for each selected key. Only in this way will you understand what is in demand and what texts you need to refine.
The most effective way to analyze search queries and an advertising campaign is Yandex.Metrica. What can we learn with her help?
- Direct summary. From it we will find out which keyword (product, service) the user searched most often in percentage terms. For business development, you can put more emphasis on a popular position, and not waste your efforts on promoting unnecessary one.
- Your audience. Using Yandex Crypt, a thorough analysis of site visitors is carried out - their gender, age, social status (we often fill out these data in registration forms), what sites they visit, what they are interested in in the search.
- Work with regular visitors. By installing the Yandex.Metrica counter, you can track certain users, for example, those who have reached the basket, made a purchase or spent at least 3 minutes on the site, etc.
- "Metric" provides a complete analysis of revenue, both general for a certain period, and private (a specific user or a specific region). So you can understand who is more profitable to target search queries.
- Analysis of statistics of search queries must be carried out in tandem with an estimate of the budget that you spent on advertising. Using "Metrics" you can evaluate the conversion of clicks and advertising campaigns.
- Targeted calls. With this function, you can carefully monitor which advertising channel brings you more visitors, which means that you will optimize your budget and use only effective means of promotion.
- Approximately the same criteria can be used to analyze search queries in Google.
Simple competitor analysis
A fully optimized resource, analyzed up and down with the help of metrics and other assistants, filled and regularly updated, can, contrary to all efforts, not bear fruit and not fall into the TOP of search queries. Why is this happening? Perhaps because there is someone better than us. Is it possible to track such sites and without their consent to conduct a thorough analysis of competitors' searches? Of course yes.
There are two ways - easy and difficult. The first is very simple, but sometimes effective and does not require large time and financial costs. According to your keyword phrase, you need to search through the search engine for the 5 first TOP sites and evaluate them according to 2 criteria - quality of content and usability. Content involves interesting, readable, informative, useful texts, high-quality images or multimedia and other things that fill the site. Usability is the general view of the resource, the convenience of the location of the keys, an understandable site map, feedback, the ability to pay on the site, the buttons for connecting to social networks, the mobile version, that is, everything that says the user: “We want to provide you with a convenient pleasant shopping experience” . Even the readability of fonts and the background of the page can affect whether the user remains on your site or goes to competitors.
If you rated your competitors by these criteria and came to the conclusion that everything is fine with you, you need to move on to the second, deeper way of evaluating someone else’s site.
Deep assessment of competitors
To do this, you will need special services and scripts, for example Inserp, Yazzle and others. With their help, you can evaluate all the qualitative and quantitative results of competitive sites - TIC and PR sites, the number of pages in the index, domain age, backlinks, link budget, and much more. Knowing this data, you can carry out the same analysis as for your own site, and also understand whether you can compete with this resource.
Take a look at yourself through the eyes of the user
Analysis of the search query will be finally successful if you are able to adequately evaluate your own resource. First, forget that you are the owner (webmaster) of the site, and try to evaluate it according to the following criteria:
- Does the resource load quickly when accessing it?
- Do you like the design, is it convenient to use, it is clear where to click?
- Is there a favicon (icon on the browser tab) that makes the site more visible and more solid than the rest?
- How is the site displayed in other browsers, on different monitors?
- How is the site displayed in the mobile version?
- Read all texts. Are they understandable, do they carry an informative load? Are you interested in reading? Is the font comfortable, readable, contrasting with the general background of the page?
- Is it easy to find your contacts, terms of delivery and payment? Is the site map clear?
- Is there any navigation? Being on the same page, will the user be able to return to the root directory?
- How to ask a question, leave a review? Is there a feedback system?
- Are product benefits highlighted? Do you want to buy them?
- Are high-quality images enough? Do they reflect the appearance of the product?
- Are prices shown? Often users leave the site because they cannot evaluate whether it is more expensive here or cheaper.
- Have news about stocks, new arrivals been added, or are they out of date long ago? Maybe then it’s worth removing them so as not to create the impression of a dead site on the user?
Having looked at yourself through the eyes of the consumer and appreciating all the capabilities of competitors, you can fundamentally change your position in the TOP of search results. How to do it? To get started, make a list of what the revealed analysis of the search query showed imperfect. Try to fix this as completely as possible. Write down those sides of competitors that seemed to you virtues. Try putting them into practice. For example, change the design, change several texts, add images or prices.
Within a month or two, analyze your own resource again in its place in the search, using metrics, evaluate how much user growth has been achieved during this time. See how the result changes.
Instead of a conclusion
Search query analysis for seo optimizers is the surest way to promote your site in the TOP. Only by understanding how popular and demanded keys, texts, links, images and other content are “pumped” the site, how convenient it is for the user, how different it is from competitors, you can achieve successful results.