Balance board (undo board) - a sports simulator popular recently both among youth and children, and among adults. It represents a board and a roller on which the first element is placed. Balance-bordists for a long time keep balance on this device, do spectacular tricks on it. The ability to balance will not only help you stay on your feet in a crowded transport or walk without falling along a narrow curb, but it will also greatly affect your skills if you are doing, for example, surfing, cycling, skateboarding, longboarding or snowboarding. You can easily make your first balance board with your own hands by reading this article.
Board: pay attention
If you want to get a high-quality, convenient and durable simulator as a result of your work, then you need to responsibly approach the choice of materials. The most important and most important of them will be the board. Before you make a balance board with your own hands, pay attention to the following:
- The best material for the board is moisture-resistant and high-quality plywood 12-15 mm thick. Most professional craftsmen stop at the birch.
- The standard length of the balance board is 75 cm. With a width, each is determined according to your taste - from 35 to 45 cm.
- The shape of the board can be very diverse - the main thing is that you feel comfortable and convenient on it. The most popular are the ellipse, the "egg", the "swallow's nest".
- At first, you will probably need stoppers - stops for the roller at the bottom of the board. Professionals do without them - they believe that stoppers interfere with training more than they protect against falling. Just in case, put stoppers not on superglue, but on self-tapping screws - you can always unscrew them if the need for these elements disappears.
To make a roller-roller for a balance board with your own hands, you need to decide what it can be. Some athletes do not bother - they take an old skateboard, fill a regular plastic bottle with water - and voila! Someone uses a natural material for this purpose - a stump of a round log.
However, for the right endo board it is still better to use a metal pipe. No need to be lazy to polish its sharp edges. The most optimal diameter for your future simulator is 110-170 mm.
Once you have decided on the best material options for yourself, it's time to move on to making a balance board with your own hands. We will present the instruction of your choice in three versions.
You will need:
- polyethylene pipe;
- two types of “sandpaper” - coarse-grained and fine-grained;
- self-tapping screws (35 mm);
- wood glue;
- varnish or paint;
- small paint brush.
We begin to make a balance board with our own hands:
- Draw the outline of your future simulator on plywood - use improvised materials, a balance-board of a friend as a template, or apply school knowledge of geometry.
- Strictly cut along the contour with a jigsaw.
- Be sure to wear protective gloves, carefully sand the board - first with a large, and then with a fine “skin”.
- Saw the stoppers out of the remaining pieces of plywood. Screw them to the bottom of the board with screws.
- At this stage, you need to carefully paint or varnish your creation. Try to use non-slip matte dyes. Alternatively, cover the upper part with a thin layer of glue and cover it with an even layer of fine sand sifted through a sieve.
- The last thing is the movie. It must be sawed off from the pipe and also sanded. In the absence of such an element, you can use a shank of the shank from a shovel, a rolling pin or, at worst, a plastic bottle filled with water.
The balance board is ready!
Do-it-yourself balance-board can be done a little differently:
- Make a template in Paint or any other editor. Print the image and transfer to the board. Saw the balance board along the contour, polish all the irregularities with an “emery cloth”.
- Cut out the guards. Instead of self-tapping screws, stoppers can also be attached to the board with pins from a pneumatic gun.
- Do not use a fragile sewer pipe for a roller. The best option is HDPE or asbestos pipe. With sandpaper, also smooth out any irregularities. Some additionally process the roller with paraffin.
- If you are afraid that the pipe may bend beneath you, cut two wooden plugs along its inner diameter.
- At this point, paint both the board and the pipe in your favorite color. This will not only give them an aesthetic appearance, but also protect them from quick damage.
The easiest way to make a balance board with your own hands:
- Get the old skate, free it from all that is superfluous, so that in the end one board remains.
- Take appropriate for the width of the plank strips, fasten them to its bottom with screws - make stoppers.
- Now is the time to search for the desired pipe segment. If you have not found anything but sewer, then a bottle of water placed inside will help to add stiffness to it. That's all!
It’s quite possible to make a balance board popular and useful for leg muscles. The difficulty is only finding suitable materials.