In the article, you will learn how to make a passage switch from a normal one. This is such a device with which it becomes possible to control the light source from several places at the same time. As a rule, such switches are mounted in long corridors, at passages or stairs. Their use is very convenient, you do not have to carry a flashlight or return through a dark room.
Where can I use switches?
Very often they are used in bedrooms. In this case, one switch is hung directly at the entrance to the room, and the second near the bed. They are quite convenient, because to turn on or off the light in a room or corridor you do not have to return to the main switch near the door. You can also use it in your office to turn off the main lighting and turn on the table lamp. And it’s much more efficient to use a switch through passage instead of the usual.
In this article, we will talk about how to independently make a through-type switch from ordinary ones. It is worth noting that the cost of walk-through structures is quite high, so not everyone can afford it. Therefore, the question arises whether it is possible to make a walk-through from a pair of ordinary switches, but so as not to disrupt the operation of the entire system as a whole.
Compared with conventional double switches, the differences in the number of contacts - at the walk-through there are three. Connections must be made using three-wire cables. It is allowed to lay both open wiring and closed. In the latter case, the wires are hidden in the wall, in a specially prepared for this strobe. This is a groove in the wall made with a chisel.
When connected, the wire through which zero is supplied goes to the lighting device. As for the phase, it is necessary that it goes directly to the switch, which will break the electrical circuit. Therefore, it is possible to simplify the design as follows: the phase goes to the input of the switch, zero goes directly to the lighting device through the junction box. As you can see, all control goes exclusively on a phase wire.
Two wires must be connected to the output of the device - a jumper, which is available in the design, alternately closes the electrical circuit. These cables, connected to the output, are connected to the second switch, but at the same time one core goes directly to the lighting device. Therefore, the through switch simply allows the transfer of electricity from one line to another.
To date, on sale you can find triple circuit breakers type. Of course, due to the complexity of the design, its cost is simply prohibitive. It is unlikely that someone will want to overpay for such a device, if it can be made from simple ones. And you do not need to have seven spans in the forehead, a special tool and diagnostic equipment. Manufacturing works are not difficult and can be performed strictly according to the instructions below.
Appearance of the device
The appearance of the passage switch is almost the same as that of a conventional switch. Moreover, the walk-through can also have one or more keys for switching lines. The difference is observed only in the internal structure. As a rule, homes use marching type switches, which have only one key.
But loop-through devices should be called switches rather than switches. The fact is that they are designed to switch electrical circuits between themselves. In the event that the room in which the switch is installed is large in area, you may have to use a device with two or even three keys. Therefore, you need to carefully read the wiring diagram of the passage switch. You can’t turn it on as usual, the system here is a bit different.
Alteration of the switch
Making from a conventional switch through passage is only that you need to add another contact. To do this, you will have to purchase two switches at once. They must be made by the same manufacturer, only one switch must have two keys, and the second one.
Using devices of the same size is also recommended. When you purchase a two-key switch, pay attention to whether it is possible to interchange the terminals so that the opening and closing of the electrical circuits is carried out independently.
Therefore, in one position of the key, the first circuit will be connected, and in the second you will close the adjacent line. And now let's talk about how to make and how to connect a passage switch. As usual, it won’t work out - there are more wires in the line that need to be switched. Simple switches cannot do this.
And now we begin to carry out work on the alteration of a conventional switch in the checkpoint. To do this, you need to perform the following manipulations:
- First loosen the clamps to connect a suitable cable. Be sure to strut the socket to loosen. This is necessary in order to safely dismantle the switch from the hole in the wall.
- As you know, it is absolutely necessary to completely turn off the electricity in the house. Using a test lead, determine which wire the phase is on before disconnecting power. Be sure to make marks on the wire. In this case, you will make installation of the device as easy as possible.
- Remove the switch and turn it upside down. After that, unclip the clamps on the body and remove the entire electrical part of the structure. Using a simple screwdriver, you will do it in a couple of minutes.
- Then, using a thick flat screwdriver, it is necessary to remove the springs that are inside the case. Using a thin screwdriver is not recommended, as it is unlikely to be able to remove the springs. Be careful, try not to rush, so as not to bend and break the structural elements.
- Using a flat screwdriver, it is necessary to pry two teeth at the ends of the removed part of the switch.
And now the final stages of the manufacture of a passage switch with your own hands. Of the usual switches, you can make it, but for this it remains to perform several actions:
- Perform the main stage of the procedure. To do this, find the contact groups on the main ceramic part. There are three of them: individual, general, mobile.
- One of the movable contacts needs to be rotated 180 degrees, after which it is necessary to cut off the contact area, which belongs to the common circuit, a little. You do not need to isolate anything.
- Once this is done, the entire dismantled part will need to be installed back.
- From the single switch, remove the key and install it on the new device. In the event that you do not have a single switch, then two keys can be glued together. It is very simple to do this with a glue gun.
As you can see, the manufacturing process is quite simple, it does not take much time. Of course, you have to tinker a bit with the switch mechanism.
What are the disadvantages of bushings
Let's talk about what disadvantages can be highlighted in a through-type switch. The specifics of using these devices are quite original, so there are small disadvantages:
- By the position of the keys it is impossible to understand whether the lighting device is on or off.
- It will not work from different places to turn off or turn on the light lamp at the same time.
But such disadvantages are insignificant, when the device is operating, they are unlikely to be able to greatly affect the decision regarding their installation or on their own production. But you must be prepared that immediately after installation you will be a little confused when turning on and off the lighting fixtures. But it quickly passes, the person gets used to everything.
As you can see, the through-passage switches, at least factory-made, at least handicraft, are quite convenient devices. Controlling lighting fixtures from various places will allow you to avoid having to return to turn off the lights. And you have to go back along the dark corridor.
This is especially true if the house is cool, and you lay down in a warm bed and so do not want to crawl out from under the covers to turn off the light. In this case, you need to install either a passage switch near the head of the bed, or mount a popping detector, which will turn off the light through sound.
And it is unlikely that anyone will think about how to make an ordinary two-key switch from a passage switch. This is simply not necessary - the cost of the passage is much higher than simple. Therefore, from an economic point of view, this is simply not practical.