It happens that one person searches for a job for months, and another poisons several resumes and receives several offers. Why is that? The reason lies in the ability to present oneself. A properly structured, concise and competent resume is the first step towards obtaining prestigious work, career growth and high salaries. His role is very important, since through him, in fact, the first correspondence meeting with the candidate passes, and if it is professionally drawn up, be sure: a personal meeting with the employer is not far off ...
"Biography" of the applicant for the vacancy
A resume is a document that a jobseeker provides to an employer to obtain the desired position. It describes the education, seniority, achievements of a person, his basic skills, as well as additional information that is suitable for the proposed vacancy.
The transfer of the aforementioned document to the company is one of the prerequisites for modern business etiquette when looking for a job. The manager spends only 2-3 minutes to study it, and during this time he should have a good impression of the applicant for the position. An important role is played by the design of the resume. The main goal of the potential candidate is to present the data in such a way that the employer has a desire to meet with the person, and the content will determine the style and form of the future conversation, as the interviewer will be guided by the information provided.
Correct execution of the resume allows you to quickly get information about the applicant, think through the conversation, make a list of additional questions, and this significantly saves time when holding a personal meeting.
Non-standard statement of professional activity
In some cases, the abbreviation CV can be found. What is this and how does this document differ from the above? Translated from Latin by Currikulum Vitae (CV) means "biography." This type of presentation is suitable for representatives of creative professions, since, unlike a resume, it does not contain a chronology of labor activity, but a description of a person’s career path and more serves as an occasion for an invitation to an interview.
Types of Resume
Depending on the purpose of creation and the resume form , the following types of this document can be distinguished:
- professional (most universal). Suitable for those with continuous work experience. Here, all the information is presented in semantic blocks, and this affects the design of the resume.
- Functional: used in cases of specific work experience. This form can be used if the candidate had breaks in work or there is a need to change his profession. Here the emphasis is on education, special skills and abilities.
- Chronological: provides a summary of professional experience in chronological order.
- Target: compiled when knowledge and skills are important to obtain the desired position.
- Academic: used by teachers. It contains a list of achievements: scientific papers, titles and awards. The design of a resume (example) of this type can be viewed on specialized sites.
Before writing, you need to consider the type of presentation, depending on what information will be most valuable to the employer.
As a rule, analysis and selection of resumes in companies is carried out by recruitment managers, secretaries, department heads, etc. When selecting candidates, two factors play a role: the subjective opinion and professional skills of the applicant.
In the first case, the employer focuses on the personal impression of the information received, and then carefully considers the merits of the candidate. He also draws attention to whether the rules for filling out a resume are followed. If an invitation to an interview did not follow, then the applicant was not interested in the company. The only chance to be invited to a personal meeting is to make the indicated information impress. For this, they use the standard form of the document.
Data in the universal description of labor activity is placed in blocks and arranged in a certain order. The structure proposed below can be used as an example of resume writing.
1. The name of the document.
2. Personal Information:
- Name of person who offers his candidacy;
- marital status;
- Contact Information.
3. The vacancy claimed by the applicant (the purpose of the compiled resume).
5. Key skills.
7. Additional information (language skills, driver’s license, use of a PC, etc.).
8. Date of compilation of the resume (optional).
Making a resume provides for a photograph of the applicant, made in a simple style (size 30x40 mm or 40x60 mm). In this case, it is necessary to consider how the document gets to the office: if by e-mail or directly from the applicant, the photo will not change its parameters, and if by fax, it is better to refuse it so that the distorted quality does not frighten away the employer.
In order for the biography of the applicant’s work path to be readable, certain rules must be adhered to:
1. The document must be concise. Excessive information will lead to a loss of interest in the candidate.
2. The size of the resume should ideally not exceed 1 A4 page, if more, then the main information should be on the first sheet, and if less, the text should be formatted so that it fills the page.
3. Making a resume for work requires the use of standard fonts: Times new Roman or Arial (size 12).
4. The best option for page layout: top, bottom, right margin - 2 cm, left margin - 2.5 cm (for binder).
5. Information should be structured in blocks. (For the correct location of the text, you can take any sample resume design for work).
6. The headings of the subsections must be marked with a font or underlining.
7. You must carefully check what is written for errors.
If during the preparation of this document these rules are followed, the statement of the applicant will make a good impression on the management of the company.
Candidate's professional biography style
A resume is a document whose main characteristics should be:
- brevity (without unnecessary words and obscure terms);
- selectivity (all information should correspond to the desired position);
- specificity (written in essence);
- clarity and simplicity of presentation (should be easy to read);
Additional information about yourself
Making a resume is not only a statement of the professional experience of the applicant. In some cases, information that makes a candidate competitive and indicates the possibility of fulfilling certain duties of an employee helps to occupy the desired position. This may be: a description of qualifications, information about social activities, about the willingness to do overtime work, go on business trips, data on military service, or who can get a recommendation about the applicant’s previous work.
Additional information may vary. In any case, it should be directly related to the vacancy, otherwise its mention will be simply meaningless.
Personal qualities of the candidate
In analyzing the resume, the employer, in addition to the professional capabilities of the applicant, wants to get an idea of what this person is by nature?
In this case, we are talking about the components of the personality. When drafting a document, it is necessary to indicate the qualities that characterize the candidate from the best side, for example, determination, responsibility, attentiveness, learning, diligence, sociability, friendliness, ability to work in a team, etc. It should be noted that a whole list of qualities should not be indicated, 2 -3, and the information must be true.
For those who really need to write a resume correctly, you can use these recommendations:
1. Clearly structure and state information.
2. Use as much professional vocabulary as possible - this will create the impression of a good specialist.
3. Try not to use the common words "I", "WE", but give preference to active verbs: directed, created, introduced, controlled ...
4. Do not provide false information in the resume, as the employer may want to verify it.
5. Do not send your photos (unless otherwise provided by the requirements of the company).
6. To print your resume, use good quality A4 paper, structure the information and highlight important headings.
7. For each new vacancy, create a new resume, as its task is to make you competitive among applicants.
Typical errors in the preparation of the document
Some unemployed do not attach particular importance to the preparation of the resume, therefore they make mistakes in it, for example, indicate information that does not matter for the position, make up one (universal) resume for several job offers, which demonstrates the inconsistency of the candidate for the proposed vacancy, do not follow specificity in the presentation, allow the presence of grammatical, spelling and stylistic errors, obscure or inappropriate terms.
These and other blunders should be avoided in applying for a resume. A sample of the correct document can be found in our article, and if necessary, you can use the help of a specialist or a specialized company.
Sample job resume
|MIRONOV VIKTOR SEMENOVICH|
age 37 years;
Marital status: Married;
+7 (495) 718-15-02, e-mail: email@example.com
|Goal:||interesting well-paid job in the oil industry (metrology) with career opportunities|
2001 - 2004 LLC “NoyabrskNefteGazAvtomatika” electrician of the 4th level fire alarm system.
Responsibilities: repair, calibration, certification of testing, auxiliary equipment of physical and chemical, chemical and analytical laboratories; installation, adjustment and calibration of analytical scales; calibration and calibration of tanks and pipelines.
2004 - 2010. NoyabrskNefteGazAvtomatika LLC - a fitter of instrumentation and automation of the 5th category (metrology workshop).
Responsibilities: verification of electronic equipment and its repair, adjustment of relay control circuits for equipment, maintenance of electrical installations.
2010-2017 IC-Yamal Corporation - instrumentation and automation engineer.
Responsibilities: diagnostics of malfunction of electrical control panels, commissioning and commissioning of new equipment.
1997-2001 - November Oil and Gas College. Academician V.A. Gorodilova, specialty "Automation of technological processes and production", qualification - technician
2001-2006 - Agrarian and Technological Institute of the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia, specialty "Standardization and Metrology", qualification engineer of instrumentation and automation
Adjustment of equipment, instrumentation, commissioning, installation of engineering systems
2005 - advanced training at the FSUE VNIIR "Academy of Standardization, Metrology and Certification of the Kazan Branch;
the presence of a driver’s license;
readiness for long business trips.
responsibility, diligence, training.
In a word, a resume, like any paperwork, has its own requirements for compilation. A well-written resume will surely bring you closer to getting the desired position!