Many housewives carry out canning of vegetables, berries, fruits, meat, fish at home. For the preparation of blanks for the winter, a special unit is often used - an autoclave. With their own hands, every man can make such household equipment. It can be constructed from a conventional gas cylinder or milk can.
DIY autoclave from a gas cylinder
For the manufacture of an autoclave for home use, a small gas cylinder, which was in use, is quite suitable. The production technology of the unit for canning at home is as follows:
- make a hole with a diameter slightly larger than the diameter of a three-liter can on top of the cylinder;
- by welding, attach a flange to the hole;
- make a cover of metal with a thickness of at least 5 mm. The size of the cover should match the size of the flange;
- mount a pressure measuring device inside the cover. Such a device will also serve as a thermometer;
- mount the fitting near the thermometer in order to pump air into the autoclave for canning;
- fasten the cover using eight bolts. Attach parts hermetically to the flange;
- install a rubber gasket between the metal cover and the flange;
- weld two handles to the body of the unit in order to facilitate its transportation;
- to make a wooden lattice of a collapsible design at the bottom of the autoclave.
DIY autoclave from a milk can
The device for canning products in the domestic environment can also be made from a conventional 25-liter milk flask. A home autoclave constructed from a can requires some capacity upgrades:
- bottom reinforcement. In order to avoid arching the bottom of the can under pressure, it is necessary to strengthen the bottom with a steel flat circle;
- fixing the cylindrical part of the flask with clamps;
- reconstruction of the lid clamping device, since the standard fixing latch will not withstand the pressure. In this regard, it is necessary to make a clamping plate of high strength with six screws;
- installation of the necessary instrumentation (instrumentation): thermometer, valve for the pump, pressure gauge, safety valve to relieve pressure.
A home autoclave made according to these recommendations is easy to manufacture. It is only necessary to have a grinder and a drill at hand. The stainless material of the case makes it possible to preserve some products without the use of glass jars. In this way, canned food for animals is prepared using, for example, calf heads. In this case, the head bones are well softened.
In addition to these advantages, a do-it-yourself autoclave is a unit that is light in weight and convenient for transportation. The design of the apparatus is collapsible, which is very convenient when replacing parts, if it becomes necessary to improve the design. And in the end, an autoclave with your own hands - saving money. Industrial designs purchased in the distribution network will cost much more than a self-made autoclave.
Work on a home autoclave requires following the steps of the process:
Stage 1: Checking the tightness of the unit and the operation of the safety valve.
Stage 2: Heating the unit.
Stage 3: Sterilization.
Stage 4: Cooling.
Stage 5: Backpressure.
Stage 6: Final cooling.
Stage 7: Unloading the autoclave.
Any owner can make an autoclave with their own hands. You just need to get acquainted with the recommendations of the production process of such a simple device. Autoclaves for canning must be technically competent in order to avoid an accident and harm. In addition, caution should be exercised during canning. It is advisable to familiarize yourself with industrial recommendations for the production of homemade canned meat.