Both professional athletes and table tennis enthusiasts regularly face the problem of choosing the “right” equipment for their favorite sport. Rackets for table tennis - this is a purely individual tool, which is why when buying, you must focus on the style of play, and the level of training, and the age of the athlete. Of particular note is the pad for table tennis. It is she who often determines the course of the game. Only in this case can you achieve the highest results in this sport.
Racket Classes and Reviews
According to professional reviews, it’s best for beginners to start learning one-star racket skills. Fans of table tennis are recommended two- and three-star models. Experienced players choose rackets designated by four or five stars. Professionals use prefabricated rackets, independently selecting the base and pads for table tennis rackets. The latter option is the most expensive. After all, it is necessary to separately purchase not only the base and pads, but also special glue. The cost of such equipment is several times higher than the finished table tennis rackets, sold in any sports department of the store.
The base of the racket should be placed as conveniently as possible in the hand, not slip in the palm of the hand while swinging, while the racket for table tennis should not be heavy and unnecessarily strain the wrist. The strength and speed of the rebound directly depends on the tree species, the number of layers at the base (traditionally from 3 to 9), as well as the presence and sequence of graphite interlayers. The weight of the base without pads ranges from 75 to 110 grams, pads increase it to 200. This should be taken into account when choosing a base. For example, it will be difficult for a child or a fragile girl to control a hand that quickly gets tired of the weight of a racket.
Selection of rackets and pads: reviews
In order to navigate the selection of equipment for table tennis, it is worth listening to the reviews of experienced athletes who advise the following:
- Prefer a defensive play style with twists and trims? You need to choose linings that promote quality torsion.
- Do you attack the enemy more often than defend yourself from blows? Then you need rackets with pads that allow you to increase the speed of the rebound and the force of the blow.
- When buying, it is worth trying several types of pads to find out which one will become your companion in competitions and training in the gym.
Types of overlays in the manner of the game
A table tennis pad glued to the base with spikes inside is used today by most professionals and amateurs. Short spikes are preferred by attacking athletes who are little interested in spinning the ball. Their goal is speed and confidence in the game. This type of linings is also preferred for those who find it difficult to cope with twisted feed. Anti-backs and long spikes help confuse the opponent, however, they can interfere with independent productive attacks.
In fact, the thinner the layer, the easier it is to control the racket. A racket equipped with an overlay with a thickness of 1.7 mm or less is preferred for players playing defense. Attacking athletes choose pads thicker than 2 mm, and the spread for station wagons is from 1.5 to 2.1 mm.
Attack, use punches and top spins? Choose your linings with the highest speeds. Do you protect yourself using rotation elements? Your choice is high-speed linings. It is worth remembering that high speed complicates the handling of a racket, and a high rotation rate can make you susceptible to a twisted ball sent by an opponent. That is, beginners should opt for rackets with low rotation and speed characteristics. Only true professionals who perfectly master the basic secrets of playing table tennis can cope with high scores.
The characteristics of the pads for table tennis are especially important for professionals who should make the game more difficult for the opponent, for which you should regularly change the style of play. It is for this that combined pads are used. It:
- On the base with the help of special glue fasten the same type of overlays with different characteristics. For example, two smooth pads, one of which accelerates the rebound, and the second - rotates the ball. Usually athletes play without turning such a racket during the game.
- The second option - one side is smooth, the second pad for table tennis - with spikes. At the same time, the racket is turned over solely when serving.
- The third option used by professional athletes is antispin or long spikes on one side, and a smooth surface on the other. This racket actively works and turns over during the whole game, allowing you to qualitatively attack and suppress the opponent’s attack.
Having perfectly mastered the combined racket and having studied the advantages of all the pads, the athlete will be able to confuse his opponent and at the same time maintain control of the game for himself.
The best table tennis pad manufacturers: reviews
A good pad for table tennis is the key to the success of an athlete in any competition. That is why, with special attention, you should approach the choice of the manufacturer of this equipment. According to reviews of equipment for table tennis, such manufacturing firms have proven themselves well: Adidas, Stiga, Cornilleau. Table tennis pads Butterfly, Donic, Joola are also revered by the world's best athletes and amateurs. The name of the manufacturer in many respects determines how satisfied you will be with the purchased equipment and how comfortable you will feel during training.
- Just starting to learn how to play table tennis? The bases, overlays can be the simplest and inexpensive. However, if you want to achieve success in this sport, it is better to opt for a racket from a well-known manufacturer with several stars, leaving a one-star racket to those who play tennis a couple of times a year.
- As professionalism grows, the racket needs to be changed to a more complex version of the inventory, which will help to master not only the basics, but also the main secrets of the game.
- Do not immediately choose a professional racket. So you can’t learn to control the ball and find your way of playing.
- The pad for table tennis should also be selected based on the experience of the athlete.
- Do not forget about the cover, which will keep the inventory safe and sound.
- For competitions, it is worth purchasing an additional racket with the same overlays in case your main tool fails at the most inconvenient moment.
- When choosing a racket, you need to listen not only to the advice of your trainer or sales assistant, but also to your own feelings. The number of future victories depends on how much the racket “grows together” with the hand.
- The racket must not only be stored correctly (in a case) and washed regularly, but the pad must be changed on time. It retains its full working properties up to one hundred game hours, after which, due to contact with the ball, air and dust, its control, speed and rotational functions weaken, rubber loses its density. Untimely replacement of the lining can lead to unexpected defeats even for an experienced athlete.