Although the human voice is not the only accessible way of communication, it is still one of the most expressive and important. Each sound is unique in its own way - from pitch to cadence, from tone to timbre.
For example, some voices are soft and gentle, while others are coarse and lower. These discrepancies in timbre make each person special, but they can also create some preconceived ideas about the character of the carrier and his intentions during the conversation. In this article we will tell you how to make the voice soft and what affects the color of the sound.
Voice - a reflection of character?
Many people associate a naturally harsh voice with a cruel and rude person. And, while most appreciate a low timbre, they would rather have a smooth and sweet tone, especially singers. The tips in the article below will help you learn how to soften your voice.
Take care of your health
You cannot have bad habits and expect your voice to be soft. Those who want to get rid of hoarseness should consider following these tips on how to change your voice in life:
- Make a balanced nutrition plan and stick to it.
- Exercise regularly with aerobic exercise, such as jogging or swimming.
- Drink at least 2 liters of water every day, excluding soups, broths, drinks, tea or coffee.
- Avoid dairy products that can cause phlegm in your throat.
- Avoid bad habits such as smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.
Following these basic instructions will not only give a person a healthy lifestyle in general, but will also serve as a platform for switching to other methods of changing voice.
Once you have made a personal plan to keep your body as healthy as possible, you can focus on the voice itself. The practice of vocal exercises is especially important for those who want to turn their sharp tone into something softer. Let's find out how to change the voice in life:
- Always stand with your back straight, without slouching, the tip of the chin should face up. Imagine that someone mentally pulls you by the ears to the sky, not allowing you to relax your back and bend.
- Breathe deeply from the diaphragm, not just from the chest.
- Begin each practice session by gently massaging the jaw with your tongue from the inside.
- Always keep your tongue near the front of your mouth to avoid the occurrence of sonorous sounds (pronunciations through the nose).
- Using lip vibration, you can vary the pitch.
- Mimic the owl's voice for a minute or two.
- Sing softly, concentrating on shaping your tone at will.
Try herbal remedies
Many singers use the gifts of nature to make their voices softer. Typical ingredients are ginger, dill, marshmallow root. Some more tips for those who don’t know how to make their voice soft:
- Get rid of cough. To do this, you can use licorice root, thyme, plantain, elecampane, wild rose. It is important that you get rid of sputum and mucus.
- Relieve a sore and scratchy throat. Mix honey, cayenne pepper and water to get rid of the inflammatory process and eliminate the infection. You can also dilute a bee propolis pea in a glass of water, and then gargle.
When people try to learn how to make a gruff voice softer, they inevitably encounter an alternative method. So, nodules and polyps can be removed surgically under general anesthesia. But this method always has a risk of complications: in addition to the standard surgical consequences, there is a possibility that after the operation the voice can recover for a long time.
So different exercises
Let's learn how to make the voice softer and softer with the help of professional exercises:
- You should start with the main singing workout - Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si, Do. Accompany each sound you make with the piano key, trying to mimic the note correctly. When you're done, you can repeat the octave in the opposite direction, starting with the final Do. Gradually you can sing this warm-up several times “round-trip”, without pauses and breaks. If you don’t have a synthesizer or a piano, you can turn on the electronic instrument on your computer via the Internet.
- Sing the standard combination with tightly closed lips - Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si, Do. When your mouth closes, you strengthen your vocal cords and improve articulation.
- Now try to open your mouth wide and sing a combination with long “aaa” sounds. Say an octave from Do to Si. Open it as wide as possible to make it more convenient for you to sing.
How to train your voice
If you still want to learn how to make your voice soft, then follow these tips:
- Always use a large amount of air for both loud and quiet sounds.
- Prefer songs that fit your natural range.
- The tunes you use to set up and practice your voice should be comfortable. It is important to feel comfortable while singing.
- Do not forget to reflect the emotional side of the composition on your face, do not stand like a statue.
- When you sing or speak, never inhale through your nose. Imagine how it will sound if you have to speak with a microphone in your hands. It is best to divide phrases into measures, between which you can take a "safe" breath. This will not break the song or monologue, which gives the listener the impression that you are suffering from a lack of air.
- Pronounce all consonants and vowels as clearly and clearly as possible. To do this, practice reading tongue twisters.
- When you sing or talk a lot, drink as much water as possible. Pay attention to all the speakers - they always have a bottle full on the counter.
Speaking in public, it is best to lower your voice so that it sounds better. If your timbre has a natural creakiness, avoid piercing and screeching sounds that can cause mixed reactions in the audience.
Try to speak more slowly, relax and don't be nervous - there’s nowhere to rush. Pause between sentences and phrases to emphasize and control the pace of your speech.
Some more useful tips:
- The length and volume of the topics you will be talking about are important. Pronounce each word clearly, with appropriate pauses each time they are needed for emphasis. Practice in front of the mirror. Speak each word literally, making exaggerated movements, because this exercise will allow you to make your speech more clear and clear.
- Yoga is all about connecting with yourself and the nature around you. You can use voice exercises during yoga to soften the timbre. Repeat Sa Re Ga Ma several times. You can also say om for 5 minutes every day.
What determines the timbre of the voice
The vocal folds or ligaments are an important tissue of the larynx that supports the vocal muscle. It is its density, size, tension and elasticity that create that unique timbre that distinguishes you from others.
Many people wonder how to increase the elasticity of the vocal cords. According to experts, such folds are muscles, which means that, like any others, it is important to train them regularly.
Never start singing without a good workout. Speak the sounds "a", "o", "y" and their derivatives to the sounds of notes, read tongue twisters, do exercises for the lips and tongue.
How to make your singing better using proper breathing
Here are the most popular techniques for developing the lungs and diaphragm:
- Stand, place one hand on the chest and the other on the stomach. Inhale through the nose to increase lung size. Exhale through the mouth.
- Inhale through the nose and hold your breath for 5 seconds. Exhale as long as possible.
- Inhale through the mouth and when exhaling you need to sing all the vowels.
- Inhale through the nose. When you exhale, you need to pronounce the numbers from 1 to 5. Gradually add one number each time you repeat this exercise.
No less important for the development of voice power is the ability to correctly pronounce all sounds:
- Gymnastics. Reach your chin and then your nose with your tongue. Repeat exercise 5-6 times. Chew your lower and upper lips for 30 seconds. “Clean” your cheeks, that is, blow them in turn.
- Read tongue twisters.
- Pronounce the sound "m". First you need to make a quiet voice, and then gradually increase the volume.
- Inhale the air through the nose and say abruptly: "Ha!" Repeat this exercise for 1 minute.
Everyone knows that the female voice is often much higher in timbre than the male voice. But it is interesting that the fair sex is extremely rare to take the highest notes. But the female voice is universal. With his regular training, you can achieve both low and high timbre.