In Russia, there are about 45,000 general petrol stations. The filling station operator is called to monitor the uninterrupted operation of the gas station, to be responsible for its safety, to manage the reception of petroleum products. This is a serious job with lots of responsibilities.
Is the operator and the tanker the same thing?
A gas station refueling agent is an employee of the station who refuel the car while the customer pays for the purchase, and sometimes takes money from the driver on his own and then refuel the car. Works on the street, in the station. This employee is required to understand the issues of fire safety, labor protection, reception of oil products, refueling a car. Refueling is more physical. As a rule, this is a purely male profession.
The operator, in turn, is a cashier, a seller of petroleum products. He works indoors, taking money from customers and launching fuel to the speakers using a computer. The operator has more duties and responsibilities, therefore the salary is higher. The operator’s labor is mainly intellectual. It is noteworthy that most of the operators are women.
The profession of a gas station operator involves a daily shift schedule. As a rule, this is a day / three, that is, a day of work, three - to rest. Most companies provide their employees with official employment in accordance with the Labor Code of the Russian Federation with social guarantees (sick leave, vacation).
The operator must stay at the gas station all his working day.
Requirements for candidates for the position of operator
The experience of using the cash register will be an undoubted advantage for the development of this specialty. Mandatory requirements can also include:
- the presence of secondary vocational education;
- competent speech;
- confident PC ownership;
- the desire to work with people.
It is worth adding that the qualities of attentiveness, accuracy, responsibility, stress resistance, and the ability to peacefully resolve conflict situations are welcomed in the work of a gas station operator. As for professional skills, many companies offer free training for gas station operators in employment.
Necessary knowledge for work
The operator should know:
- device and principle of operation of refueling equipment, safety rules during its operation;
- measurement methods, purpose and rules for the use of instrumentation;
- name, main characteristics, grade and brands of petroleum products sold;
- the procedure for obtaining and the procedure for filling out documentation for accepted and sold fuel;
- principles of safe storage of petroleum products and fueling cars;
- methods of providing first aid;
- basic fire fighting methods.
The workplace of the operator of the gas station is located behind the cash register in the station building. In addition to coordinating the work of the station, it is the responsibility of the operator to fill out documents and conduct all paper work. In some cases, operators manage refueling stations.
In the event of emergency situations at the station, the operator should be ready to solve the problem on their own, and if necessary, provide assistance to the injured.
Conditionally, the obligations of a gas station operator can be divided into three periods:
- intercession on duty;
- duty hours;
- change change.
Arriving on duty, the operator must:
- check the serviceability of the cash desk and tools, the availability of necessary materials (cash register tape and more);
- make sure that the workplace has documentation on the approved list;
- issue a cash receipt at the checkout;
- check by counters and accept the amount of fuel available in the tanks;
- make sure that there is order at the gas station and at the workplace.
From the moment of taking over the shift, the operator until the end of the duty is responsible for everything that will happen at the station.
During the shift, the duties of the cashier operator of a gas station include the following.
1. Providing uninterrupted supply of fuel to customers.
2. During the reception of fuel, the termination of trade with the notification of customers with an information plate, upon completion of the operation, the resumption of sales.
3. Reception of incoming petroleum products. This includes:
- study of cargo documentation;
- checking the fuel level in the fuel truck and the capacity of the gas station before draining;
- tracking the discharge from the fuel truck in the tank;
- visual inspection of the fuel truck to make sure it is empty;
- level measurement after draining in containers.
4. Fixation of all measurements and events in a shift log.
5. Maintenance of cleanliness and order on the territory of the gas station.
6. Preparation of cash statements.
7. Transfer of funds to collectors at a set time, in accordance with the transfer rules.
During duty, it is forbidden to leave the workplace empty without the permission of the boss.
Refueling of vehicles is carried out using a mixture of oil, and fuel dispensers.
Petroleum products are provided to consumers with special coupons, for cash or non-cash form of payment using plastic cards. The procedure for accounting for fuel coupons is regulated in the instructions.
The cashier operator of a gas station dispensing an oil product must:
- monitor the serviceability of the fuel columns;
- make sure that drivers do not overfill gasoline and comply with fire safety rules;
- in the approved order to establish the error of the column readings using exemplary instruments;
- track the presence and integrity of seals on the columns;
- carry out visual inspection of refueling places of vehicles for cleanliness, possible oil spills, and if necessary, take measures to eliminate them.
All vehicles are refueling in order of priority, with the exception of special vehicles (fire engines, police, ambulances, snowplows, shuttle buses), and cars with perishable products.
Refueling cars of foreign citizens is carried out according to service books and only in cash.
It is forbidden to sell fuel in plastic cans and glass containers. Payment for petroleum products is carried out through the cashier with the issuance of a check that contains information about the cost and quantity of the product.
1. After the end of the shift shift is transferred, according to the instructions of the operator of the gas station.
2. Comments detected during transmission are recorded in a shift log. The dealer signs in the journal in the change, and the intercessor in the acceptance.
3. After completion of the duty, the operator fills in a shift reporting document, which, together with the final check and the received receipts (coupons), is transmitted for control to the manager of the gas station.
At modern gas stations, sales of not only petroleum products, but also related and food products, and services have been organized. Customers can purchase the things they need on the road: windshield washer fluid, car brushes, hand wipes, coffee, fast food products. At some gas stations, it is possible to have a bite to eat, pump up tires, top up a mobile phone account and so on. The station operator must understand the proposed assortment, be able to offer goods and be friendly.
- In the event of a malfunction of the electrical equipment, dispenser or cash register, it is necessary to call the repairman and inform the manager or head of the gas station.
- When the power supply is cut off, it is communicated to the emergency duty service of the organization supplying food, and the manager (head) of the gas station is also notified.
- In the event of an emergency or situation (flood, fire, traffic accident, explosion hazard, etc.), it is necessary to inform the appropriate departmental service and the station manager. Then proceed according to circumstances, according to internal instructions.
- All abnormal events and situations occurring during the shift should be reflected in the journal.
- The operator shall notify the management in writing in an explanatory note of all errors and violations.
The operator of gas stations (profession code: 15594) is trained in certified training centers. Preparatory courses for a gas station operator last 1-2 months (60-80 academic hours). During the training, students get acquainted with the basic safety rules for the operation of a gas station and the processes taking place at it, the fundamental principles of customer service, the rules for receiving petroleum products, and the prevention and elimination of emergency situations.
The gas station operator’s training program includes the following topics:
- legal norms and legislative acts regulating the work of the operator of gas stations;
- types of petroleum products, their properties and characteristics;
- Description and principle of operation of refueling equipment;
- types of gas stations, options for their location on the ground;
- ways to control the movement of fuel, organization of acceptance, distribution and sale (vacation);
- making measurements using metrological instruments (measuring device, metrostock, cylinder);
- verification of instrumentation;
- requirements for cash and reporting documents;
- occupational safety and health, principles of energy, environmental and fire safety;
- operating rules of cash registers;
- professional ethics of service workers.
As additional disciplines, the following can be studied: identifying signs of forgery of banknotes, the procedure for accepting payments by plastic cards, protection against hypnosis, methods for determining the balance of oil products in tanks, filling out certificates for the return of monetary amounts, drawing up a protocol for damage to the company by buyers, practical exercises on receiving coupons for fuel, using a computer program for dispensing gasoline and others.
Form of study - full-time, includes practical training in paperwork.
At the end of training, a certificate of a profession of a standard form is issued.
The salary of a gas station operator depends on the type of gas station, its remoteness from the settlement, the owner company, the region of location and the functions performed (discharge).
The average salary for 2017 was 23-30 thousand rubles per month. The largest number of vacancies for the position is open in Moscow, Leningrad and Sverdlovsk regions. The highest paid profession of a gas station operator is in the Republic of Bashkortostan (40 thousand rubles), followed by the Kirov (31000 rubles) and Kaluga (29800 rubles) regions.