Alternative energy is developing very rapidly today. For example, a vertical-axis wind generator is no longer a novelty. In the near future, renewable sources can significantly replace standard stations. They have a lot of advantages. For example, it is not difficult to make a vertical wind generator with your own hands, it is not very expensive. Moreover, for its production you can use improvised materials. As for the installation of such a unit, then you should already think about where to perform it. Perhaps, in your case, the installation of the structure will be inappropriate.
What is a product?
The presented design is a special generator for generating electrical energy by moving air currents (wind). In appearance, the device resembles an ordinary mill with blades and a high mast, at the base of which is the generator itself. Naturally, such an apparatus should not only be properly designed, but also correctly equipped.
The movement of the "wings" is provided by the wind, so the energy source is renewable. The higher the mast, the more electricity will be more stable and higher. Naturally, the manufacture of such a device will require certain materials and devices for converting alternating current into direct current. How can you make a vertical wind generator with your own hands, you will learn later. The main thing is to be patient and willing to work.
Basically, such a unit is installed during the construction of power plants. However, sometimes frugal owners use it at home. You can use this unit both in the city and in the village. In order to build an entire power plant, you need a fairly large area and many windmills.
The energy generated in this way can be supplied to meet the needs of private consumers or industry. Naturally, in the latter case, it is necessary to consider the economic feasibility of using such a source of electricity.
Before you make a vertical wind generator with your own hands, you must definitely find out its advantages. Among them are such:
- Low maintenance, easy installation and maintenance. You can do all this yourself. You do not need much time or money for this.
- You can design a vertical wind generator with your own hands.
- Quick installation. The main thing is that the device should be fixed firmly, so that the wind does not break it.
- Safety for the environment, since the generation of such energy is not accompanied by harmful emissions and does not require the disposal of waste materials. In addition, the source is renewable, so you should not be afraid that the resources will run out.
- The possibility of using sufficiently large areas occupied by such a power plant for growing agricultural products.
- Saving money. Firstly, the cost of such electricity does not depend on the dollar exchange rate or market prices for standard fuel. Secondly, you do not need to extract and process raw materials. Thirdly, the design is installed close to the consumer, so there are no additional costs for the transportation of electricity. In addition, the wind does not need to be bought from other countries that can inflate the price.
Before you make a wind generator, you also need to consider all the disadvantages that accompany its use:
- The considerable cost of the structure, which was produced industrially. This drawback is easily fixed, since you can build a mast and blades from improvised means. Naturally, the quality of the result in both cases may be different. Therefore, it is worth determining whether you can construct the unit yourself.
- Low prevalence of products, which gives rise to a lot of speculation regarding their work and efficiency.
- The design emits a fairly high noise level, and can also affect the transmission quality of television or radio signals. Much depends on how far away the windmill is from the house.
- The wind is an unstable source of energy, as the weather can be quiet. In this case, the generator will be simply useless.
- The only negative impact on the environment is that birds can get into the blades and die.
- In some cases, when installing a windmill, the aesthetic appearance of the landscape suffers, although for minimalists this is not a problem.
- To install a power plant will require a large area.
Before you make a wind generator, you should understand how it happens. The following types of structures can be distinguished:
1. With cylindrical blades. This unit has a high torque, although quite large in size. The disadvantage of the device is considered not too good productivity. In addition, such a device is quite heavy.
2. Vertical axis. They have a large number of blades that are located vertically to the surface of the earth, while they are parallel to the mast. Such devices are productive and efficient, but they are quite expensive.
3. Helicoid rotary wind generator. Its feature is the shape of the blades: they are curved diagonally. Due to this, they rotate evenly. The disadvantage of this installation is its high cost, as well as strong noise. It is very difficult to build the blades of a vertical wind generator of this kind on your own, as this requires special equipment.
4. Multi-blade. They are quite effective in generating energy, but are expensive. They have two rows of blades and an impressive size.
The wind generator, the photo of which you can see in the article, is a fairly good energy producer, if you choose its design correctly.
Is it possible to make the device yourself?
Naturally, many masters are interested in whether it is possible to build such a construction with their own hands. Of course you can. First you need to decide on the type of product, as well as the tools that you will use, and the corresponding materials.
It should be noted that you can assemble a homemade vertical wind generator from what you have at hand. For example, an old gas cylinder or a metal barrel. And you also have the opportunity to apply old steel sheets or even fabric. It all depends on what kind of apparatus you want to build.
What materials are needed to work?
So, before you make a windmill with your own hands, consider the question of what you will build it from. You will need such materials:
1. Plywood sheets (its thickness depends on the height of the structure, as well as on the number of blades and can be 0.5-1 cm). It is from this material that the part of the installation that will rotate is most often performed.
2. Thin sheet steel, duralumin, flexible plastic (fiberglass and fabric can also be used, but the latter option will be the least reliable).
3. Durable metal rod, the diameter of which must be at least 10 mm. At the same time, its height is about 60-70 cm. This rod will be the base of the turntable.
4. Fasteners (nuts, bolts, rivets).
5. Wooden blocks or metal corners for fixing the structure in a vertical position.
In principle, this is the main list of materials necessary for work. In the process of performing the action, you may need some other blanks.
Before you make a windmill with your own hands, you should collect what you will work with. You will definitely need these tools:
- Electric drill and drill for it.
- Scissors for metal.
- Electric jigsaw with blades for wood and steel.
- Wrenches or rivet.
- Shovel and other tools for earthwork (if the structure will be fixed on the ground).
- Ruler, pencil, compass.
In addition, a wind generator circuit is needed, but it is no longer difficult to find. You can even do it yourself, but for this you need to make some calculations.
Features of the manufacture of blades
When the wind generator circuit is ready, you can begin to manufacture it. First, let's start the production of the rotating part. The blades of a vertical wind generator are made of plywood. Before cutting them, try to draw a cardboard template. To do this, use a pencil, ruler and compass. The blade length for the wind generator is 19 cm, and the width at the edge is 9 cm. You will need to cut 6 parts, which will then be connected in pairs. The shape of the blades is drop-shaped.
Use a jigsaw to cut the workpiece. The cut must be neat and even. To connect the parts and form the wings, you need wooden planks, 53 cm long.
The blades of the vertical generator must be at an angle. Usually it is 9 degrees to the center of the turntable. Naturally, this indicator can be adjusted after the design is completely done. Next, the blades should be assembled and attached to the connecting strips. In this case, self-tapping screws are used as fasteners. You need to drill a hole through the parts and the bar at the same time. If necessary, you can use glue. In addition, the strips must not extend beyond the edges of the parts. Try to align them as much as possible. The quality of the design will depend on this.
Next, the blades for the wind generator and all wooden parts should be wrapped with metal. This is necessary so that the wood does not deteriorate under the influence of external conditions (rain, snow). rivets or bolts can be used to secure the metal.
Now you can fold the vertical axis generator.
Features of the manufacture and assembly of the entire structure
We proceed to fix the wings on the central axis (steel rod). For this, circles cut out of plywood are used. In order to draw them correctly, use a protractor. The diameter of these circles is 20 cm with a disk thickness of 1 cm. In their center, you need to make a hole into which you can pass the rod.
Next, the finished wings should be attached to the axis. To do this, on both sides of the shaft, it is necessary to tighten 2 nuts at a distance of 6 cm from the edges. Then circles are put on it and also screwed with a nut. Drives should be locked tightly enough. As for the wings, they should not be tightened very loose, but must be able to rotate. Naturally, at this stage of the assembly you need to set the correct angle of rotation of the blades.
In principle, a home-made vertical wind generator is almost ready. It is only necessary to make a frame rack on which it will be mounted and rotate freely. For its manufacture, you can take the metal corners of the required height. Naturally, you can apply and wooden bars. Keep in mind that wind power can be large, so you need to try to ensure maximum stability of the frame. Before connecting all other devices, the wind turbine must be checked and necessary corrections made.
Note that the pitch of the rotor can be dynamic or static. In the first case, the range of operating speeds is higher. However, it will have to be equipped with specially shaped blades. It is quite expensive and technologically difficult. With a static rotor pitch, you have only one specific speed. Faster than a wind turbine can no longer spin. Although in this case, the reliability of the device is higher, and the frequency of breakdowns decreases.
In addition, when the windmill rotates, it is necessary to balance the structure. In this way, you can maintain its integrity. In addition, the wind can be very strong, and revolutions will have to be reduced. For this, a special centrifugal regulator is used. It slows the progress of the blades if it exceeds the permissible norm. If the wind is weak, then the efficiency of the unit can be increased using a chain mechanism.
A vertical wind generator, the price of which is about 200-300 dollars and above, can be done independently. To generate electricity, you can connect a conventional car device to a wind turbine. A small generator is enough for you to provide light in the house, connect chargers, power a laptop or other small appliances. In addition, you will also need a converter that will turn direct current into alternating current. And you also need a voltage stabilizer, which will make the work of the mini-station safe.
That's all the features of the construction of a home-made installation to generate electricity through the movement of the wind. Good luck