The need for a street toilet arises quite often. After all, not every country house is a small piece of land and a capital house, in which there are all amenities. Sometimes even with water there are difficulties. Therefore, on the street you can equip the toilet and use it for its intended purpose. If desired, it can be combined with a shower - all waste will be merged into one pit.
Carefully examine your site to determine which place you can install a toilet on. After that, you can proceed to the choice of design. You can buy a finished house, but it is better and cheaper to do it yourself.
Types of toilets
Even if your summer cottage is ennobled, there is a convenient toilet in the house, but the toilet will not interfere on the street. There are several types of designs:
- Powder Closets.
- With a cesspool.
- Backlash closets.
- Dry closets.
- Peat systems.
- Chemical toilets.
The main thing when choosing a street toilet is to take into account the level of groundwater. If they are at a depth of over 2.5 m and do not rise even in the rain, then it is allowed to install any of the listed toilets. But if groundwater is high, a cesspool cannot be made. And now let's take a closer look at all the designs of street toilets.
This is the oldest and most proven street toilet design for years. This is a simple pit with a depth of about 1.5 meters. On top of this pit is a house. An accumulation of sewage occurs in the pit, which gradually decomposes. With frequent use of the toilet, sewage can not be fermented quickly, filling takes place. If the territory is large, then the problem is solved simply - a new hole is dug up and a house is transferred to it. An old hole is being buried.
But if the territory is small, then you have to pump out the waste using a cesspool machine or by hand. In this article we will look at how to build a street toilet with your own hands and what requirements you need to follow when doing this.
Powder closet and backlash closet
Powder-closet is the ideal toilet design for use in areas where groundwater is located very close to the surface. The difference is that instead of a cesspool, a container is used (barrel, bucket, box). This container is placed directly under the toilet seat. To get rid of the unpleasant odor (as you know, it is especially strong in the warm season), sewage should be sprinkled with dry peat, ash or even sawdust. The process is similar to dusting, hence the beautiful name.
Backlash closets are distinguished by the fact that the cesspool is completely tight. It sometimes needs to be cleaned with a scavenger machine. As a rule, such structures are installed next to one of the outer walls of the house from the inside. But the cesspool is located outside the house, waste enters through the pipe. It is difficult to call such a toilet street, as, in fact, it is inside the house.
Chemical, peat and dry closet
Everyone, probably, is familiar with such a miracle of engineering as a dry closet - this is a blue cabin, inside which there is a tank. Microorganisms are poured into it, which actively process sewage. This is the simplest design, since you don’t have to build anything - the structure is ready and you just have to fill the tank with bacteria. There are many types of dry closets, there are both street and home ones. Waste after treatment with bacteria can be thrown into the soil, they are good fertilizers. You can put a toilet in the cottage for a summer outdoor toilet - instead of water, put peat in its tank, which will be sprinkled with sewage.
The chemical is not much different from the dry closet, discussed above. Chemicals are not used to get rid of sewage. For this reason, waste products must be disposed of in a special way, it is simply impossible to throw them into the garden. Of particular note are peat toilets. This is a simple toilet, but in the tank it does not have water, but peat. It is allowed to install such a design inside the house, since there is a ventilation system in the toilet - this avoids the appearance of extraneous odors.
Where to put the toilet?
Please note that toilets must be installed in accordance with all the rules. There are a large number of restrictions, we highlight the main ones:
- The distance to the nearest water source must be at least 25 m. Wells, rivers, lakes, and other objects are meant as a water source.
- Between the house, basement, cellar, you need to maintain a distance of at least 12 m.
- From a summer shower, sauna or bath - over 8 m.
- From sheds to the toilet - 4 m.
- To the bush - more than 1 m, to the tree - 4 m.
- Consider the direction of the wind so that there is no unpleasant smell coming to your house or neighbors.
- If the groundwater is below 2.5 m, it is allowed to install a toilet with a cesspool. If above water, then a cesspool cannot be made.
- The door should never open to the neighbors.
Pay attention to the fact that when choosing a place you need to look at objects that are located not only on your site, but also on the neighboring one. And this applies to fences, shrubs, wells, etc.
Simple Closet Powder
Everyone can make a toilet on their own - after all, everyone was taught in schools to work with a carpentry tool. If you have not skipped labor lessons, then even with a minimal set of tools you will assemble a good toilet design. A simple powder-closet can be made in just a few hours, if you have everything you need.
Such toilets can be placed next to the house, as there is no cesspool. The construction technology is very simple, and the likelihood of groundwater pollution is extremely small. Such outdoor toilets for summer cottages are very useful, because they are easy to operate and build.
Construction should begin with a blank sheet of paper. It depicts a drawing on which all the elements are marked out. Do not do everything by eye, otherwise the design will not be very smooth. You only need to make a house - all sewage is collected in a container. The size of the cabin should be such that it is convenient to use the toilet. Most often they make a square design of 1.5 x 1.5 m, 1 m deep, 2.2 m high. If necessary, the dimensions can be increased. The most popular materials are wood, metal profiles, slate, brick.
Support and toilet foundation
When building a toilet, there is no need to make a strong and heavy foundation. If the toilet is wooden or from a metal profile, then it is enough to bury a few pillars, supports, on which to put the entire structure.
Moreover, you can use both concrete poles and a wooden beam. Wooden street toilets are very popular. The procedure for their manufacture is approximately the following:
- Mark the area - determine the angles of the future building.
- 4 asbestos pipes must be treated with bitumen-based mastic. The diameter of the pipes is not less than 150 mm.
- At the corners of the house, you need to dig wells and deepen the pipes by 50 cm. If necessary, you can lay pipes to a greater depth. It depends on the type of soil.
- At a third of the depth, the columns are poured with a solution of concrete. Get rid of all air bubbles.
- Install pipes made of wood or concrete inside the pipes. To fix, pour them with a cement solution.
If you drive out supports 2.3 meters above ground level, then they can be used as the basis of the frame. But you can make the frame yourself from pipes or beams. From this material, you can make a street summer toilet literally in a matter of hours.
We will consider how to make a toilet from a bar measuring 50 x 50 mm. It is allowed to use material with a size of 80 x 80 mm.
Quite sturdy structures can be made from a metal corner or a profile pipe. Brief description of the design:
- The main bearing supports in the amount of four pieces.
- Harness for the upper part (roof). The bars must protrude approximately 30 cm beyond the front and back of the toilet. Ahead will get a canopy that will serve as a visor. And in the back due to the slope rainwater will be diverted away from the frame.
- Harness in the area of the toilet seat. The bars are fixed to the vertical supports. The stool should be about 40 cm from the floor.
- To make a strong frame, diagonally set the bars on the side and back walls. Photos of street toilets of this design can be seen in our article.
- Frame for installing the door. Two supports are installed with a height of not more than 1.9 m. A jumper is placed on top.
Calculate at what height the toilet seat should be located. If the seat is positioned too high, it will be inconvenient to use it.
Housing and roof sheathing, door installation
Then the whole frame needs to be sheathed. For cladding, it is best to use wooden boards (thickness 15-25 mm). The use of lining, metal sheets is allowed. Fastening is done using nails or self-tapping screws. It is as simple to work with corrugated board as it is with wood - in addition, the cost of the material is much less. You will need only three sheets for covering the back and side walls. A fourth sheet is required for roofing. But you can make a roof from any other material - tiles, slate, etc.
A hole is made on the roof, on which the pipe is installed, it is carefully sealed. If you decide to make a roof of wood, then cover the roof with a roofing material on top to protect the material from moisture. As you know, you can make a street toilet with your own hands from any material. The main thing is to collect everything correctly.