It is inconceivable to imagine the work of any organization without business communications. Properly built communication between employees allows you to smoothly and quickly solve tasks.
There are many types of meetings in organizations, and each of them has its own characteristics and tasks. Knowing such nuances will help facilitate discussion of business issues. This article will tell about the types of meetings, help to understand why they are held and how they are fixed in the paperwork.
Business meeting objectives
The main goal of holding any kind of meetings is the development of specific constructive solutions to pressing problems and consideration of pressing working issues. And also during the collective gathering, the staff has the opportunity to share their opinions, ideas with top managers or make suggestions on the best solutions to problems.
Any kind of service meetings allows you to see a comprehensive picture of what is happening in the organization of the situation, to determine its weaknesses and strengths. It is worth noting that with the participation in this format of business communications, the quick adaptation of new employees of the company or enterprise takes place.
The following tasks of all types of meetings can be distinguished:
- solving current problems and issues;
- integration of the activities of units in accordance with the strategic goal of the company;
- assessment of the company and its individual structural divisions;
- maintaining and developing company policy.
In order to understand in what format to hold such a business event, it is necessary to decide which of the above tasks will correspond to it, and after that you can understand which classification it will relate to.
Types and classification
A meeting, as a type of business communication, can have a different form of conducting, on which its subject matter and the list of officials present depend.
The main classification of meetings should be highlighted:
- Area of affiliation. Here you can distinguish such types of meetings as administrative (which include discussion of problematic issues), scientific (seminars and conferences, the purpose of which is to discuss current scientific issues), political (involving a meeting of members of any political parties and movements) and mixed types.
- Scale. It distinguishes international, where experts from other countries or foreign partners, national, regional, as well as urban, are involved.
- Regularity. In any format, meetings can be ongoing or periodic.
- At the place of deployment - local or field.
And also all types of meetings can be divided as follows:
- Instructive, providing a prescriptive format of the event, where a superior leader reports directly to his subordinates, which then diverges and is transmitted vertically to the authorities. Most often, in the course of such business communication, the instructions of the CEO are heard, which can significantly affect the course of work of the enterprise, and also it can be standards of behavior or important innovations.
- Operational (dispatch). The purpose of this type of meeting is to obtain information about the state of affairs in the organization or enterprise. The flow of information in this case is directed from subordinate subordinates to the heads of departments or to the general director. Mainly at operational meetings, questions are considered on the implementation of roadmaps, planned activities, strategic and operational plans. An important difference between an operational (dispatch) meeting and all others is that they are held regularly and have an unchanged list of participants. It is also worth noting that during the course of the meeting there may be no agenda.
- Distressed. Such a meeting is convened in case of urgent need to make a decision to complete tasks in a short time or to solve a global problem for the enterprise.
In addition to all of the above, we can separately single out one of the most popular type of production meeting - planning meeting. As a rule, such an event is held daily or once a week, at which the head of the unit and direct performers are present, who receive tasks for the day and discuss the progress of their implementation.
The topic of an enterprise staff meeting for a meeting can be any kind of issues that arise in the course of the enterprise’s activities, and the discussion can be devoted to changes in the external environment in which a particular organization operates.
Organization of the meeting
Any type of meeting, regardless of its format, requires careful preparation for it, since its effectiveness depends on this moment. Initially, it is necessary to determine the following points:
- issues under discussion;
- setting tasks for staff (based on functionality and subordination);
- stages of completing tasks.
To date, most meetings are held in a very mediocre manner, which is why their meaning is lost, and the tasks set can be performed poorly. Therefore, it is extremely important to think over the entire course of such business meetings and build a working discussion in such a way that it does not just take time, but has a backlash from the team.
It should be noted that large firms and organizations seeking to gain a certain share of the market and develop their company in order to make big profits make a big bet on discussing important issues through meetings. From the practice of successful managers, the following set of rules can be formed on the topic of how to prepare for the meeting:
First, a list of participants is defined. It should be clearly understood who to invite to the meeting and what role he will play at it. It often happens that the invited persons may not understand the issue, and invited “just in case”, but at that moment they could be engaged in their official duties and not waste time in vain.
It is important to prepare an agenda. If the meeting is planned, then an agenda is developed in advance, which indicates the issues discussed, as well as identifies keynote speakers. It is important to remember that this document must be sent to those responsible for preparing the information and to those who will be present so that all participants can prepare reports, suggestions and additional questions. If necessary, the agenda may be adjusted.
Main and strategic issues should be brought to the forefront of the meeting. Rapporteurs of such issues must surely falter people (heads of departments, sections, workshops) who are personally responsible for the implementation of any strategic activities of the company.
It is important to remember that any meeting has two main stages - this is the preparation for it and its conduct. The first stage includes determining the relevance of the business gathering, identifying tasks, main and secondary goals, compiling a list of participants and speakers, preparing reports, presentations and a report according to the topic or a previously defined agenda. The second stage involves the implementation of the previously planned course of the meeting, listening to reports and discussion of current and strategic issues.
If during such a business communication it is necessary to decide what and to whom to make employees, then we can distinguish the third stage - decision making. As a rule, decisions are determined by the chairperson who chairs the meeting, based on his own discretion or through discussion or collective voting.
Meeting Plan Example
Having a clearly defined plan, any leader can hold a meeting in a high-quality and efficient manner, which will allow him to get a backlash from the staff and set the right tasks for them. This plan may include the following aspects:
- greeting word ;
- hearing reports and summarizing for a certain time period (quarter, week, half year, month);
- coverage of current issues relevant to the company;
- hearing suggestions for troubleshooting (brainstorming);
- evaluation of the proposed options and discussion of their implementation;
- accumulation of options;
- voting for the adoption of a particular option;
- definition of boundaries during the solution of problems (determination of responsible, terms, methods and ways).
Most types of meetings need to be fixed on paper (document), which is called the protocol. Keeping this kind of documentation allows you to legitimize your decisions. And also, thanks to the protocol, you can always track the progress of activities, and in case of failure to complete the tasks, determine who is responsible for this.
The puncture, as a rule, is conducted by the secretary of the head who is the chairman of the meeting. However, often this function can be performed by other employees.
Functions and Tasks of the Secretary
Before starting business meetings, the secretary should be familiarized with the list of invitees and the list of issues discussed. However, it is worth noting that if the meeting is held on a regular basis, then it is this official who collects all the documentation (lists, plans, agenda, etc.) and helps the leader prepare for the meeting.
At first, and if necessary, the secretary may ask those who appear to fill out the registration sheet, where their full names will be indicated. and position. This will be needed when compiling the protocol. Next, the secretary announces the agenda, which marks the beginning of the meeting. Further, when those present begin the discussion of issues, the secretary records the progress of this event. At the end of the meeting, this official prepares a ready-made version of the protocol, after which he signs it with the chairman and sends it to all involved.
The Secretary is extremely important when drawing up, to pay due attention to the appearance of the minutes of the meeting. It must include a hat, a venue, a list of attendees, issues discussed and decisions made.
From the above information, it becomes clear that holding meetings at enterprises is extremely important. However, it is always worth remembering that high-quality preparation for such events carries more than 50% of the key to success in covering information, setting goals and their high-quality implementation.