One of the definitions says that the structure of an organization is a complex of internal stable connections between elements that ensure the integrity of the system and its identity to itself. These two properties give rise to organization-specific behavior and a qualitative state at any given moment. To put it more clearly, the structure of the organization is the principles that underlie its production activities, management, structure. It is the structure that determines the number and role of units, their relationship, “Table of Ranks”, interaction models.
Organization structure is a combination of factors
The architectonics of an enterprise or any organization is determined by senior managers taking into account the opinions of middle and lower management links. An ideal structure is one that allows the company to exist for a long time on the market. This is possible only when the configuration fully meets the general task, and the enterprise successfully interacts with the environment, takes into account external and internal factors, and allows rational use of raw materials and labor of people. The organization structure of the enterprise may be different. Usually the device is different:
- The complexity of the configuration and the degree of separation of the process into individual functions or units.
- The degree of formalization, i.e., predefined conditions for the implementation of rules and procedures.
- The number of levels at which decisions are made. Some enterprises may be centralized, others less or completely decentralized.
For the successful functioning of the enterprise, it is necessary to remember that the structure of the organization is a combination of three most important factors:
- The relationship between all employees.
- The powers of employees, their functional responsibilities.
- Management practices and management policies.
Organization system structure : types and features
Organizational structures can only be of two types:
1. The formal structure of the organization is a system strictly defined by management. It implies the official association and division of people into departments, workshops, groups, etc. It also officially establishes the rules of interaction, working relations, type of communication.
2. An informal organization is a structure that arises regardless of management. Example: a group of friends from different departments of an enterprise.
Both types always occur in any organization. However, if the former is subject to strict regulations and serves exclusively to achieve its goals, the latter is usually associated little with such goals.
Subtleties of building an organization structure
The structure of the organization must necessarily take into account:
- Specialization of the enterprise, division of labor.
- Differentiation and integration.
- The number of units, the relationship between them.
- The rights, duties, and responsibilities of each employee ("herringbone" or "nesting doll").
Ultimately, it is precisely on the correct organization of the organization that its competitiveness depends.