The area of the apartment does not always allow you to arrange all the sleeping places so that there is still free space. In our article we will look at how to make a bunk bed with your own hands from improvised materials. This design is an excellent way out if the apartment is small. You can make a bed of this type from any material, but the best is wood - durable, environmentally friendly, and working with it is much easier than with iron. Of course, if you want, you can make a bed of metal pipes, but it will be too heavy. And when working, you will need either a large number of self-tapping screws, or electric welding.
Advantages and disadvantages of bunk structures
In stores you can find a large number of models of beds of this type, but they are quite expensive. In addition, they are standard, so the features of the room in your apartment will not be taken into account. You have to fit the bedroom to the bed, and not vice versa. For this reason, it is best to do the self-made bed. It can be combined with other interior items - a cabinet in which you can store things, a table for classes. You can also integrate several drawers into the bed. The quality at the height of this design, you can easily make a bunk bed with your own hands. Step-by-step instructions will be given later in the article.
If you have experience working with wood, then you can do the simplest design in a couple of days of hard work. Of course, for this you will need a minimum set of tools. We will talk about him further. As for the place for installing a bunk bed, they are most often located in children's rooms. For children, this is a huge plus - free space for classes and games.
But there is a drawback to the bed - a very high degree of injury. Therefore, when installing a bed in the nursery, it is necessary to ensure that the child is safe on the second tier - install a reliable side. Be that as it may, children under three years old cannot sleep on the second tier. It is desirable that the age of the child be at least 4-5 years.
Designs of cribs
The size of the berths depends on what dimensions the mattresses have. As you know, they are all standard, so when making beds you need to focus on them. Usually, during the construction of such a design, mattresses with a size of 160x70 cm are chosen. It is worth examining the drawings of bunk beds. With your own hands you can sketch a sketch if you need to make an original design. There are so-called transformer beds - the berth can be extended. This is the best design option, as the child is constantly growing, and buying a new bed or doing it yourself is an expensive pleasure.
Let's look at the designs of children's bunk beds, which can be made independently:
- The classic type of design - ideal for two children.
- Classic, but for 3-4 children.
- An angular structure in which the lower and upper places are located at right angles to each other.
- The loft bed is ideal for one child. The sleeping place is upstairs. At the bottom there is a place for classes.
- Folding bed type.
- With extendable lower tier.
But not only for children, you can make such beds. Even for adults, they will be very welcome, especially if you need to save space in the room.
Bunk beds for adults
In the case when you need to place a lot of people in a small room, you can use beds with two tiers. It is most convenient, as you understand, to make such a design with your own hands. Such beds will fit just for small apartments. For example, in one-room apartments, you can install combined designs in which there will be a children's berth on top and an adult on the bottom.
If you look at the assortment of furniture factories, you can see that there are a large number of different beds with attics on sale, which are suitable not only for children, but also for adults. If necessary, a bunk bed with two beds is installed. Such designs can be used to accommodate a large number of guests.
Materials for the manufacture
Of course, the most popular material for making beds is wood. But you have the right to choose any other:
- Particleboard (chipboard).
- Metal profiles and pipes.
- Polypropylene pipes (yes, and such materials are successfully used in the manufacture of beds).
- Plywood is a good material that can last quite a long time.
If there is little experience in the manufacture of furniture, it is best to choose plywood or particleboard. They are very easy to saw with a jigsaw (it is best to use a power tool, it’s working faster with it). When processing, there is no need to purchase additional special equipment. In addition, the material itself is very cheap. Please note that the sides of the bunk beds made of particleboard should be made of solid sheets. Even small cutouts on them can greatly weaken the entire structure.
Features of working with various materials
Now let's look at what features of work are available in various materials. After all, you must be prepared for everything, even for the most unexpected situations. So, what are the features of the most popular materials:
- If you decide to work with wood, it is advisable to have a wealth of experience in the manufacture of furniture. Without enough skills, you cannot make a quality bed. But there are pluses to wood - the furniture is durable, environmentally friendly, and this is very important, since children will use it. And natural wood weighs less than a particle board or metal. Please note that making a bunk bed with chipboard yourself is much easier than using any other material.
- In the manufacture of metal structures you will need a tool for cutting, welding. In addition, you can not do without enough experience. Not everyone can work with metal. But designs of this type are durable, they are able to withstand colossal loads. And since they are installed in dry rooms where there is no moisture, corrosion is unlikely to touch the metal. Therefore, if you make a bunk bed of metal with your own hands, you will get a reliable design. But the appearance will have to work.
- And the last material is polypropylene pipes. It is those from which the water supply is made. Of course, such beds cannot be distinguished by beauty and attractiveness, but it is very simple to make them. In the manufacture of you will need the presence of pipes, hacksaws and fittings. Of course, you should make a drawing or sketch of the structure in advance.
Now that you have considered all the features of the materials, you can begin to manufacture. But let's look at the most popular designs that home craftsmen make in practice.
A bit about bedside stairs
It is on the stairs that the safety and convenience of using the bed depends. After all, with its help, a child (or an adult, depending on the purpose of the furniture) will rise to the second tier.
You can make a ladder for a bunk bed with your own hands. Designs can be:
- Vertical - are made of two levels and a bar. They are connected using crossbars made of wood or metal pipes. Most often, built-in structures are used, but sometimes you can also find add-ons. True, they are not very convenient to use.
- Marching is a simple staircase with steps. They make it from boards, the cross section of which is 30x80 mm. Such a ladder takes up much more space than a vertical one, but it is more convenient to use it. Please note that the steps should have a width of more than 35 cm. Between the crossbars, a distance of 20 to 30 cm must be maintained, and the angle of inclination of the stairs not more than 70 degrees.
Since the space under the stairs will be free (it will not be possible to organize a place for games in it), you can make cabinets and drawers in it. It will be convenient to store the things of the child in them. Drawers are mounted on the sides of the stairs.
But on which ladder to choose? It directly depends on who will use the bed. If adults or adolescents, it is best to produce the first or second option.
But for small children it will be more convenient to use the marching stairs. After all, it is safer, it is more difficult to fall from it. If a child will use the stairs, then make a railing and correctly calculate the step width. Only in this case, the baby will be able to safely and conveniently climb the upper tier. But now let's talk about how to assemble a bunk bed with your own hands.
Create a design drawing
Before proceeding with the manufacture of the bed, make up, if not a drawing, then a sketch of the entire structure. With a simple image, you can calculate how many fasteners and materials you need. You do not need to have any special knowledge, it is enough to take into account such moments:
- An optimum distance must be maintained between the lower and upper tiers. It should be such that an adult can sit on the lower bed, and there should be no risk of hitting the upper part.
- There should be sufficient space between the ceiling and the upper tier. The child should feel good during sleep. Consider the fact that warm air tends to the ceiling, so in case of insufficient space the child will not be able to breathe normally.
- When you are designing sleeping places, be sure to consider the standard dimensions of the mattresses that are commercially available.
In the event that you yourself can not make a drawing, you can use ready-made schemes. You can even take as an example some model that is produced by industry.
What material will you need?
Let's now look at a simple two-tier bed design. And now about what materials are needed for making a bunk bed with your own hands. We will also indicate the sizes of all elements and their total number.
You will need the following materials:
- Wooden blocks measuring 50x100x3000 mm in an amount of 4 pieces.
- Wooden blocks of 50x100x2400 mm in an amount of 4 pieces.
- Two boards measuring 20x100x3000 mm.
- One in size 20x150x3000 and 20x200x3000 mm.
- Plywood 1200x2400 mm 12 mm thick - two sheets.
- 40 mm screws for drywall.
- 75 mm screws.
- Screws for hexagon 6x150 and washers for them - 8 pieces.
- 6x75 bolts with washers and nuts - ten sets.
- Two bolts measuring 6x150 mm, nuts and washers for them.
- Sandpaper and wood putty for leveling surfaces.
- Power tool - circular saw, screwdriver, jigsaw, milling cutter, drill.
- Measuring tool - tape measure, ruler, corner, building level.
Only after all the tools have been prepared can bed production be started. This is a rather complicated matter, but anyone can cope with it if there is patience and skills in working with tools.
And now about how to make a bunk children's bed-house with your own hands. You need to perform several manipulations to make a bed with two floors.
Follow this sequence:
- Cut out all the material based on the data in the drawing.
- Please note that the size of the frame for the berth should be slightly larger than the size of the mattress. And more precisely, it is 8 cm wide and 10 cm long. In that part of the bed where the stairs are fastened, it is necessary to add another 4.5 cm.
- On all edges from the outside, it is necessary to cut off the chamfer. You can use a manual plow for this. All elements must be sanded and sanded.
- On all structural elements, you need to make markings for the installation of fasteners.
- Make the lower and upper frames from the bars that were cut at the initial stage. Fasteners with screws. It is recommended to make at least one partition - it will significantly strengthen the design. If possible, then make 2-3 partitions, they will not be superfluous. You can make a bunk bed out of timber yourself faster if you prepare all the elements in advance.
- Using self-tapping screws, it is necessary to screw boards 20x150 and 20x200 to the frame on both sides. They subsequently perform the function of the sides.
- To make corner legs-supports, you need to connect along the length of the bars 50x100 mm at a right angle. As a result, the end face should be in the form of the Latin letter L.
- Then in the support it is necessary to make a hole in the place where the upper tier is attached. Similar actions need to be done in a frame with a side of 200 mm. Holes need to be drilled, made larger so that the inside of the top of the screw, nut and washer can be hidden.
- Use screws to connect frame and stand. Please note that making a bunk bed with your own hands takes a little time, especially if you have at least a little experience in this matter.
- Fix the structure to the wall. In the event that the wall is made of drywall, the fasteners must pass through the profiles. Otherwise, the screw will pop out. Mark the places where you need to make fastenings, for this lean the bed as tight as possible. Be sure to use the level to set the frame clearly in horizontal and vertical planes.
- Then you need to drill through the holes through the frame. They must match those in the wall. Screw the hex head screws into them. They must be fixed in profiles.
- In the event that the wall is made of brick, the holes will have to be made with a puncher or hammer drill. Then in these holes you need to insert the anchor.
- Repeat the same steps with the second frame.
- Now you need to assemble the fence for the berth located on top. It must be screwed to the wall and frame.
- Collect the stairs - for this you take two bars and crossbars. The assembled ladder is mounted on the supporting frames. The staircase can be of any design - attached or built-in. In the second case, it is necessary to make cutouts for fasteners.
- To the lower and upper frames you need to fasten the sheets of plywood. You will continue to lay mattresses on them. The base must be made of wooden battens. Making a bunk bed for children with their own hands is not difficult, but you need to look around at the size of standard mattresses.
- On the level of the supporting frame, it is necessary to fix the bars between which the rails are stacked. It is recommended that they be nailed to the bar - this will achieve maximum structural strength.
- At the last stage, all self-tapping heads are covered with a layer of putty, which is processed with sandpaper after drying. After that, the entire bed is varnished or painted.
When making a bed from chipboard, it is best to use Euroscrews (confirmants). They hold sheets of chipboard much better. But the slats that fit under the mattress, as well as the crossbars of the stairs must be made of wood.
Do not install boxes on the top floor - the chipboard is heavy, the design will become much heavier. Such a bunk bed for children (you can make it with your own hands in just a couple of days) will be very convenient - it is heavy and will not fall, even if the child turns the whole room upside down.
How to make two from one tier?
If you have a single-tier bed, then you can upgrade it a bit and complete the second floor. The frame of the finished bed will be the basis for a new design. The upper frame needs to be made clearly sized for the bed. For greater stability of the frame, you need to make the frame fasteners to the supports as strong as possible. Similarly, you can make a two-story bed, which has a sofa on the first tier.
The frame of the second tier should be made according to the size of the lower part of the sofa. Thus, you can quickly make a bunk bed with your own hands from wood.
Retractable Model Assembly
For a children's room the most convenient and safe will be a pull-out bed. The upper berth is located at an altitude of about 70 cm. For the day, the lower tier can be pushed, which will free up space in the room. And at night the tier extends, supplementing the bed with another berth. These beds are not connected to each other, so they can be used separately.The manufacture of such furniture is quite simple, all structural elements can be made of chipboard or chipboard. When making a bunk bed with your own hands from wood or chipboard sheets, such manipulations must be performed:
- You make the base of the bed - for this, a solid shield is used, its thickness should be more than 18 mm. Fix it on the sidewalls using dowels or minifixes.
- Fasten the structure with a metal corner around the perimeter - in the head, side, at the bottom.
- For four minifixes or dowels, fasten the sides to the bottom of the frame.
- . . .
– , . – . , , . - .