The problem of where to attach spinning during fishing is known to any fisherman. And if it is not very difficult to solve it when fishing from the shore, you can use a simple forked branch in the form of a slingshot, then when fishing from a boat such an inconvenience causes a lot of trouble.
Therefore, beginner anglers acquire various devices that help to keep the rod in a fixed position. But experienced fishermen, using their knowledge and imagination, try to make do-it-yourself spinning holders for the boat. This is the opportunity to make a device that meets the individual requirements of any person, as well as a decent cost savings on its purchase.
Types of Holders
There are mainly two types of spinning holders:
- belt devices;
- boat equipment.
The former, as the name implies, involve fixing the fishing rod on the thigh for a short time, which is often relevant when replacing the bait or removing the caught fish from the hook. Belt spinning holders are most often used during sea fishing.
Boat equipment is used when fishing with floating equipment. It is possible to use holders for spinning on a small PVC boat, as well as on marine watercraft.
The main purpose of the PVC spinning holder is the ability to facilitate the work of the fisherman when fishing and pulling prey. Therefore, when fishing from any floating means, such devices can be conditionally divided into the following types:
- Trolling devices, which are considered an integral attribute of the active type of fishing. During such a hunt, the angler can often use up to ten or more spinning gear. Upon entering the fishing area, the spinning player has to unwind the fishing-rod rigs one at a time, while strictly adhering to the required amount of fishing line, after which the fishing rod is installed in the spinning holder. Further, during the bite, it is necessary to carry out the process of drawing the prey.
- Holders for pulling have a fundamentally different type of fastening to allow the spinning player to more successfully deal with large trophies.
Often, holders for spinning rods are used as an auxiliary temporary device if the angler needs to fish with one tool, and the rest are on supports.
Pros and cons of using holders
Of course, like any other device, boat spinning holders have many advantages and disadvantages. Positive are:
- The ability to free your hands while changing bait, removing prey from the hook, which is very useful if fishing alone.
- Tackles are not confused and do not cling, while it is possible to easily insert and remove them from the device.
- Safety gear is guaranteed, since there is no spin and loss of spinning.
- The absence of extraneous noise, and in a lateral position.
Of the negative sides, one can single out only the possibility of the tip of the rod catching when moving near coastal vegetation. And not every fisherman wants to drill his boat to strengthen equipment.
All holders must meet certain requirements based on the type of fishing (from the shore, from the boat). Thus, the specificity of fishing from a boat implies the availability of free space for rowing.
The following requirements are required for such fishing:
- The diameter of the spinning handle should correspond to the thickness of the holder in order to freely enter it, providing strength and reliability of the installation of gear.
- The attachment of the device must be versatile for use on various models, while ensuring the possibility of its easy movement inside the boat.
- The holder must be installed quickly and reliably in the required place of the floating means.
- The materials from which the fixture is made must have high resistance to corrosion.
And, of course, creating comfortable fishing conditions is one of the main requirements for using this device.
Mounting methods for holders
Reliable fastening of the holders is the key to the success of fishing, in this case nothing will distract the fisherman from doing what he loves. Basically, there are three main ways to mount this device:
- using a clamp;
- screws or bolts;
- using adhesive materials.
The choice of how to install the holder for the spinning rod depends not only on the desire of the owner, but also on the material of the boat.
It is most convenient to mount the spinning holder with your own hands using a clamp. This installation method is universal, as it allows you to easily attach the desired device on any hard surface, which is even in inflatable boats.
Clamp manufacturing can be done independently, but many people purchase these devices at any hardware store.
One of the main advantages of fixing the holders for spinning with a clamp is its mobility, that is, the ability to quickly and efficiently install and remove the device.
But experienced fishermen advise against using holders with a clamp on small boats, because installing them on a bench significantly reduces the internal space, which is detrimental to rowing. And on the transom, this device will interfere with engine management.
Bolt Mount Holders
If the design provides for fixing the PVC spinning holder with your own hands on a bolted connection, you will have to make holes in the sides. Therefore, this type of connection is used more often on ships with hard sides (wood, aluminum). It is possible to install such supports on a seat or transom, while taking into account that the surface size is larger than the base area of the device.
The fastening process itself is quite simple: holes are marked, material is drilled, and bolted. At the same time, be sure to put washers on the larger mounting surface.
On wooden boats, the holder can be installed with screws. This process is much simpler than bolts, but a significant disadvantage is the relaxation of the mount during operation, which can lead to loss of equipment.
The most common way to install a spinning holder for a PVC boat with your own hands is to use glue. Modern manufacturers offer a wide range of various adhesive materials, but their use requires exact observance of the work technology.
The procedure for the work below.
- We carry out preliminary preparation of all consumables (solvent, glue, hair dryer, masking tape).
- We make the marking of the attachment point, for this we apply the base of the holder and draw a contour.
- We carry out surface treatment of the boat and the holder using a special solvent. Reliability and durability of the connection largely depend on the quality of the cleaning.
- Next, glue is applied to the surface. It is expected to dry completely (20 minutes). For a better result, it is recommended to apply more than two layers of glue.
- We heat up the places of processing with glue with a building hair dryer. Especially you need to pay attention so that the glue does not bubble.
- After connecting parts are pressed tightly and the docking points are carefully dried with a hairdryer. Air bubbles must be removed during compression.
Such a connection is completely non-separable, which is considered to be its significant drawback.
Of course, modern industry offers a lot of models of boat spinning holders, but often anglers prefer to make such devices with their own hands. At the same time, the fisherman gets the opportunity to fully choose the functional design to his preferences. And the question of cost reduction has not been canceled either.
With the independent manufacture of the holders, the fastening of the device to the boat with the help of a clamp is most often used.
To create the simplest design, you may need:
- metal tube;
- clamp for plumbing;
- a pipe whose diameter corresponds to the thickness of the handle of the spinning rod;
- faulty meat grinder.
First you need to saw off a clamp from a meat grinder. To fix the tube in the arc, two holes are drilled, which are necessary for the holder rack. The stand itself is selected from a suitable pipe diameter, the end of which is flattened. Three holes are drilled in it. And then the clamp is fixed, in which a piece of pipe for the spinning handle will be attached.
This is the simplest design, but experienced anglers create products of varying complexity that are not inferior in functionality and factory products.
Remember that successful fishing largely depends not only on high-quality equipment and good bait, but also on the ability to effectively use gear during your favorite hobby. It is for these purposes that various spinning holders are needed.