In everyday life, situations often happen when you just need to know how to glue plastic as reliable and accurate as possible. Although modern material is especially popular with manufacturers of many attributes, there is no single method and means for restoring integrity in case of damage. Therefore, to extend the life of a broken, but not completely spoiled thing, it is worth learning a few secrets regarding gluing plastic.
A thorough analysis of the situation is the key to success
In order to reconstruct the plastic correctly and restore the material to its former strength, you need to fully think through each step. Therefore, before gluing plastic, you need to pay attention to such nuances:
- Determine the type of material. To do this, you need to understand the markings that are applied to the product.
- It is worth carefully considering the place of failure. If there is an oblique chip, then gluing the surface is easier. In case of rupture of a part with even edges, repairs may not always be possible.
- It is necessary to determine what functional load the damaged section of plastic can withstand. With maximum impacts, conventional bonding may become useless.
- If the connection of plastic with another type of material is required, it is necessary to determine the features of such a repair.
Sometimes there are additional conditions and circumstances that you should also pay attention to before you complete the work.
How to glue plastic
Choosing a fixing agent to restore the integrity of the plastic is quite simple, if you correlate the type of material and the marking on the packaging of the substance. Usually, reaction glue is used for this kind of repair. Such a product is divided into 2 types: one-component and two-component.
The first is a substance that is already mixed in production. In this case, it is enough to apply the product to the material. Bicomponent formulations require mixing, which is done exclusively before work.
In order not to look for a long time, which option is suitable for repairing the most simple and common things, you can determine exactly what means to glue the plastic. The best option is the well-known “Moment”, which has a definitive name - “Plastic”.
Bonding option for plastics with other types of material
Often there are problems with bonding plastics with other types of materials. Repair usually ends in failure when you need to mount to metal, glass, wood, concrete. But such a problem can be avoided if you choose the right tool.
Which product bonding plastic with other materials should be selected by composition:
- Such types of fixators will help to connect a thing with metal surfaces: epoxy, polyurethane, phenol rubber.
- There is a universal glue that can connect plastic with glass, ceramics, gypsum.
- The cyanoacrylate component helps make the fixing agent suitable for bonding with wood, rubber, and other plastics.
Typically, manufacturers indicate the features, characteristics and operating principles of their product. Therefore, before buying, you should carefully read not only the composition, but also the recommendations, the instructions themselves.
What methods can be used to eliminate material breakage other than glue
In addition to glue, other methods can be used for repair, correction and reconstruction. Thermal exposure options are especially popular in this situation.
In everyday life there are a huge number of types of plastics. Some of them are easy to weld. Thermal effects of this type bring very positive results, thanks to which the details look like brand new.
Almost all types of plastics lend themselves to cold welding. You need to perform this action carefully to get a positive result. It is advisable to have experience in such work, it is better to practice on such material.
If the breakdown is not visible, then you can use the "barbaric" method - to solder the parts. In this situation, it is very simple to determine how plastic can be glued. You need to take a piece of the same material and melt it into a chip, press the parts. This option is a temporary substitute for a stronger connection.
How to make glue sticking plastic yourself
The best option for processing plastic parts that are damaged and require reunion will be homemade glue. To prepare the product is quite simple, if you stock up with only two components, which are taken in a 1: 1 ratio.
Making homemade glue with maximum effect:
- In a metal, but better glass container, pour the solvent.
- You need to make plastic shavings that require repair, or similar material.
- Pour the workpiece into the solvent and mix well. Wait about 1 hour until the chips are completely converted to a homogeneous mass.
Knowing the recipe for home glue, dealing with the repair will be very simple. It is only necessary to understand the process itself of how to glue plastic, taking into account the mechanical principle.
The principle of bonding plastic with home glue
Having prepared the home composition, you need to know exactly how to glue the plastic at home. The principle of this action is a simple chemical reaction. Since home-based adhesive is prepared on the basis of a solvent and plastic shavings, the following changes occur:
- After applying the substance, the solvent evaporates in a few hours.
- The plastic, which was part of the paste, becomes viscous and solders the fracture.
- Within a day, the dissolved mass will harden and finally connect the fault.
In order not to spoil the appearance of the product and the composition has solidified, you need to apply glue in small portions. It is also worth making sure that no extra drops or smudges appear on the surface of the material.
Bonding agents for plastics
Depending on the type of plastic, a substance is also determined that is suitable for bonding debris. Do not use trial and error. Having determined the composition by marking, you can precisely choose how to glue the plastic tightly:
- Polystyrene is well bonded with plastic cement, an epoxy product.
- A mixture of plastic resins is bonded with a cyanoacrylate.
- Polyethylene or polypropylene is bonded with super glue.
More experienced craftsmen use thermal and technological methods for adhesion of plastics, which are distinguished by mechanical action, without the use of adhesives.
How to glue correctly
Sometimes it’s difficult to figure out how to glue plastic tightly at home so that the material can withstand heavy loads and the product looks decent. In this matter, it is important not only to choose the right fixing substance, but also to make the work itself qualified.
How to glue plastic at home:
- Determine the type of material and select the correct adhesive according to it.
- Remove debris from the surface and handle sharp chips. If the material is divided into layers along the fault, it is advisable to cut off the weak points.
- It is necessary to pre-wash the area, removing dust, dirt and fine specks. Dry the material completely.
- After cleaning, degrease the plastic. For this, ordinary acetone is used.
- Apply a small amount of glue to the problem areas and hold for several minutes so that the substance thickens a little.
- Further, the composition is re-applied to the cleavage sites, after which the parts are compressed. Better put them under the press.
- Maintain the material under the weighting agent for 1-3 days. It is not necessary to check the clutch before the set time. Due to the loss of the press, the procedure may not bring good results.
If all the steps and preparation are followed correctly, then the material will fasten for a long time and efficiently. At the time of compression, excess glue may come out from under the faults. It is imperative to immediately remove the residues, since after drying it will be impossible to remove the defect.