Watching the fire has long been considered a pleasant and soothing experience. However, not everyone can install a real fireplace at home. Firstly, it is quite expensive, and secondly, a place in the house does not always allow you to do this. That is why the manufacture of biofireplaces with their own hands began to gain popularity.
The principle of operation of this device, as well as its design, is quite simple. The essence of the operation is that it burns liquid fuel - bioethanol. Since this composition is pure environmental alcohol, nothing is emitted during its combustion, except for steam and a small amount of carbon dioxide. This immediately indicates that it will not be necessary to equip the hood, ventilation, etc. It is also worth noting that such alcohol without any additives will burn with a blue flame. Since it is customary that the fire is yellow, bioethanol is mixed with special substances.
In addition, there are several variations of this device:
- There are wall biofireplaces for the apartment. The dimensions of such a device are usually slightly smaller than a conventional bio-fireplace, since it is mounted directly on the wall or installed in a special niche. It is also worth paying attention to the fact that the cabinet, for example, may well become the installation site.
- Floor versions of this device are considered the most traditional and common. They are installed most often along the walls. You can also make them of a specific design to install in the corner of the room. Such equipment can already be quite large, and maybe small, to install anywhere in the room.
- Do-it-yourself desktop biofireplaces are also made. This embodiment is a copy of the floor fixture, however in miniature design. The place of installation of such fireplaces is the bedside table, wardrobe, table and other interior items.
Features of the work of eco-fireplaces
Naturally, initially you need to determine the installation location of the device. Its design will depend on this. Next, you need to know that the area for one burner of this equipment should occupy at least 16 meters. To increase the safety of the device, you must pre-attend to the purchase of such a special lighter as a piezo. The use of matches, paper and other things is not allowed. The biofireplace device significantly increases its safety, as it is equipped with a special protective glass, which protects the environment from fire, accidental ignition, etc.
It can be added that there can be several burners at the device. It all depends on the design, as well as on the size of the biofireplace. In addition, bioethanol can be used both liquid and gel. However, experts recommend the use of liquid, as there are no combustion products left after it. For miniature models, the fuel tank can be 60 ml and reach 5 liters with large bio-fireplaces.
Fireplace with two screens
In this case, we will consider the process of assembling a bio fireplace with our own hands, which has two screens. Between them there will be a flame. In order to successfully assemble this option, you will need the following materials and tools:
- it will be necessary to make a panel of drywall, plywood or wooden beams with dimensions of 50 x 30 or 40 x 30 cm in order to install a container in it;
- self-tapping screws for fixing elements;
- you need to buy fire-resistant transparent glass for the arrangement of protective screens;
- need a fuel tank with a valve for adjustment;
- to fix the metal parts of the bio-fireplace with your own hands, you will need bolts, nuts, washers, silicone gaskets;
- metal or plastic legs are used as glass holders ;
- also for glass will need rubber gaskets;
- the last thing you need is a fire-resistant paint or refractory material, from which it is possible to make a gasket around the shield of the fuel tank to increase fire safety.
Build the model yourself
After all the necessary materials have been purchased, you can proceed to the practical part of the assembly.
- The first step is to draw up a drawing of the device with an indication of all sizes, so as not to forget or make mistakes during assembly.
- Making a bio fireplace with your own hands is best to start with assembling the base for the fuel tank. To do this, it is necessary to saw off two identical pieces of timber, then to fix a sheet of plywood on them.
- In the upper part of the panel, a hole of the required diameter is cut for a container. In addition, you need to prepare and holes on the sides. The framing for the biofireplace from all sides will be precisely glass, since, in addition to all other advantages, it is also much lighter, which will significantly reduce the weight of the entire structure.
- Next, you need to process the edges of all the elements well. If gypsum plasterboard sheets are used, putty is used to seal the edges. They are attached to the frame in its lower part.
- The next step is to drill holes for the bolts. Since glass will have to be drilled, it must be done very carefully or entrusted to a person who has experience in this. Although the element is heat resistant, it can still crack quite easily.
- In order to increase strength, it is recommended to thread the bolts together with silicone gaskets. They are threaded through the base and glass, and on the inside, the washers are put on the bolts, after which all this is tightened with nuts. It must be remembered that it is impossible to exert too much pressure on the glass.
- Next, the sides of the glass screens are attached to the base of the bio-fireplace with their own hands.
- The next step will be fixing the legs for the fireplace. First, they are equipped with rubber gaskets, and then fastened to the bolts in the same way as before.
- At this stage, we can assume that the device is almost ready. It remains to insert the tank with fuel into the previously drilled hole.
- It is also worth adding that the entire free surface around the burner can be laid out with decorative elements, attaching them to glue, for example.
This model also does not differ in complex assembly, but it looks much more attractive. To assemble a bio fireplace from glass and other materials, the following elements will be required:
- Medium-thick refractory glass or other material that is thick enough to not burn out too quickly.
- Silicone glue, which will be used for lubricating and sizing of all compounds, it is also used in the assembly of aquariums.
- You will also need a wooden or metal flowerpot of a square shape. If a tree is chosen, then it is necessary to cover it with a layer of flame retardant impregnation before starting to operate, otherwise it will burn. It is best to use a metal mesh for attaching to a flowerpot. You can also lay firewood or decorative stones on top of it. In this case, it will seem that the biofireplace is made of artificial stone. It is also worth adding that the size of the mesh should be 2-3 cm larger than the dimensions of the pot.
- In any case, you need smooth decorative pebbles for decor. Their number will depend on the area of the pot, as well as on the depth of installation of the grid.
- The peculiarity will be that here two containers are used for biofireplace fuel. In addition, one of the tanks should be slightly smaller and easily enter the other, which will be larger in size. The height of these containers should be less than about 3-4 cm than the base. A fuel tank is installed right in the center of the fireplace. If it is made of wood, then it is worth additionally wrapping the container with isover to improve thermal insulation.
- It is best to use cotton lace as a wick.
After all the materials have been collected, you can begin to assemble the product.
- A drawing with dimensions for a biofireplace is needed in this case, so as not to be mistaken in further work.
- The work begins with the fact that it is necessary to cut out walls of glass to frame the flowerpot according to its size.
- The edges of the glass walls are vertically smeared with silicone glue.
- All elements are interconnected so that a cube is formed without lower and upper walls.
- In order to better grip silicone, and the walls do not come apart, it is recommended to support all the corners of the base.
- Next, you just need to wait until the substance is completely dry. If surpluses appear somewhere, then after drying they need to be cut off.
- After that, in the center of the pot you need to place an iron container. To fix it more securely, it is best to smear the lower part with silicone.
- Next, a smaller tank is placed in a larger tank, into which fuel for the fireplace will be laid.
- The top of both containers must be covered with a metal mesh.
- The assembly is almost complete, and it remains to install a glass cube on the surface of the pot. To fix, the edges are smeared with silicone.
- Further, if you wish, you can do decorating the device.
It is also worth noting that you can make a bio fireplace from a pipe with your own hands, installing fuel tanks inside the pipe.
This option for making a biofireplace is most often used in small apartments where you need to save space. For this reason, such a model is built directly into the wall. In order to assemble it, you just need a drill, one sheet of drywall and self-tapping screws with profiles.
A step-by-step instruction for a bio fireplace, made by yourself, looks like this:
- Naturally, as in the other two options, the work begins with a drawing up with an indication of the dimensions.
- Further, according to the dimensions, it is necessary to fasten the drywall sheet to pre-installed profiles. In this case, you must not forget that you need to leave a niche in the wall for the furnace.
- Next, a frame is installed through which the wiring is conducted, and then it is brought out to connect to the network. Thus, you can make the backlight, for example.
- The next step is to putty on the walls of the structure. As cladding, you can use ceramic tiles, artificial stone, stucco, stucco, decorative plaster.
- The final touch is the coating of the entire inner surface with heat-resistant material. For better protection, it is best to coat in 2 layers.
General recommendations for work
When assembling any biofireplace, you should remember a few rules and recommendations.
Firstly, any work with such an aggregate begins with the development of its design and form. However, at the same stage, it is very important to take care of security, as well as to take care of the installation site of the protective screen. Here you need to know that to place glass, even heat-resistant, is necessary at a distance from direct fire. Experts believe that 15 cm is enough.
Secondly, the reservoir for the biofireplace, which will contain the fuel, is best made from metal, the thickness of which is 2-3 mm. If the metal is thinner, it is likely that it will simply burn out. If the biofireplace is large enough, then tanks for it are best to buy, so as not to risk safety.
Installing a do-it-yourself burner for a bio-fireplace is also a rather dangerous activity. It is important to know that they need quite a lot of space, and therefore such devices are best not to be placed in small rooms. If the room, for example, 25-30 square meters. m, then the presence of two burners in a biofireplace is allowed, no more.
It is also worth saying that the burner can be made with your own hands. If this method is used, then some rules must be remembered. For an open fireplace, for example, it is best to paint it from the outside. Naturally, it is impossible to paint inside, since the paint will necessarily burn out.
On top of the metal tank is reinforced with a metal mesh. If the mesh cells are too large, you can cut out a few pieces and arrange them so that they overlap each other. The strength of this element is quite important, since decorative elements are laid on it. At the bottom of the tank with the net there should be a connection to the wick. If he looks out a little, then it’s not scary. Subsequently, when decorative elements are laid, they will hide this defect.
Fuel for equipment
In fact, collecting a bio fireplace on your own is not a big deal. After its successful assembly, it will be necessary to constantly add biofuel to it. Here it is important to understand that he can work only on such fuel, which has the prefix “bio”. This prefix means that the fuel has plant or animal components in its composition.
The most important thing here is that when it burns biofuels, it does not emit toxic substances, and therefore its fumes are not dangerous. Moreover, only with the combustion of such a substance can an even and beautiful flame be achieved. After the fireplace is ready, you must adhere to certain rules for its operation.
- Fuel for a biofireplace is worth buying only from trusted manufacturers who have a quality certificate for their product.
- Before adding biofuel to the burner, it is necessary to wait until it is completely extinguished and always cool.
- For ignition, a special long lighter with a metal nose is used.
- Fuel tanks themselves should be stored in places away from open flames, as well as from hot surfaces.
An armful of firewood laid in the fireplace area, as well as various forged elements in a circle from the device, will look quite impressive. The combustion chamber of such fireplaces is almost always stacked with stones. This is done not only in order to give a more attractive appearance to the structure, but also in order to make the heat transfer more uniform. A rather interesting idea is the following. The fuel tank is made of metal, as usual, but the combustion process itself takes place in specially prepared and installed plastic dishes.
After all of the above, it becomes clear that answering the question of how to make a biofireplace is quite simple.