What to do if I woke up in a cold sweat? Let's figure it out.
Situations when a person suddenly has a cold sweat can indicate the presence of serious pathologies, among which are also quite dangerous infectious diseases. However, they are not the only cause of constant sweating. In adolescents and infants, such manifestations can be triggered by a group of some age-related causes. Therapy for attacks of cold sweat should be aimed not only at eliminating unpleasant symptoms, but also at the reasons that provoked this condition.
So the man woke up in a cold sweat, what does this mean?
Causes of cold sweat
It is known that the process of sweating allows you to cool the body in case of stress, tension, after heavy physical activity, at elevated temperature. However, in some cases, the presence of cold perspiration can indicate serious violations in the functioning of the body. It is important to determine the cause.
“Waking up in a cold sweat” is a frequent complaint of patients. Doctors tend to associate the regular occurrence of cold sweat with the presence of the following conditions and pathologies:
- Cervical osteochondrosis. This pathology is accompanied by increased secretion of cold, sticky sweat and weakness in the legs.
- Vegetative-vascular dystonia. With the appearance of weakness in the lower limbs, dizziness, nausea, it is worth thinking about the state of the vessels.
- Stressful situations. Under stress, hormones are released into the blood, provoking the instant appearance of sticky sweat.
- Medicines Some drugs for fever, insulin, antidepressants can provoke severe sweating.
- Abstinence. Nausea, dizziness, and cold sweat are frequent companions of withdrawal symptoms when a person stops using alcohol and drugs. In some cases, so much sweat is released that a person has to change underwear and bedding.
- Heart attack, stroke, sharp fluctuations in blood pressure.
- Diabetes. With a sudden release of insulin, a sharp decrease in the amount of sugar in the blood occurs. As a result, hyperhidrosis develops (increased sweating).
- Migraine. Pathology is characterized by the development of severe headaches, nausea, weakness. When an attack occurs, a significant amount of adrenaline enters the bloodstream, which provokes severe sweating.
- Viral, bacterial infections (flu, mononucleosis, tuberculosis and others). Cold sweat in such diseases is often accompanied by nausea, fever, dizziness, trembling.
It is very important to determine as quickly as possible the reasons why I woke up in a cold sweat in order to determine the necessary therapy.
Causes of Cold Sweat in Men
In men, increased cold sweat separation in a dream can occur for several reasons:
- Hormonal disbalance. This problem is often found in adolescent boys, in men with impaired sexual function.
- Idiopathic hyperhidrosis. Idiopathic hyperhidrosis is understood to mean a pathology in which men develop severe sweating without any reason. That is, increased sweating occurs by itself, and not under the influence of any factors and pathologies. Such a phenomenon very often occurs after severe emotional overload, stress, conflict in personal life or at work. Over time, hyperhidrosis itself can cause feelings in a man. For example, constantly cold and wet palms can interfere with normal work and life. When a man wakes up in a cold sweat, the reasons should be determined by the doctor.
- Headache. With regular migraines, a significant amount of adrenaline is constantly released into the blood of a man, causing increased sweating. The cause of a headache can lie in a wide variety of pathologies - starting from a common cold and up to severe systemic diseases.
- Excessive alcohol consumption. Alcoholic beverages can provoke increased sweating in men during sleep, in particular with a hangover syndrome. When using even a small amount of ethanol, its adverse effect on the thermoregulation of the body may occur, causing hyperhidrosis or chills.
- Low blood pressure, blood loss, impaired heart function, vascular functionality.
Often women complain that they woke up in a cold sweat.
Causes of cold sweat in women sleep
The female body has its own characteristics. Most often, excessive sweating in a woman has a physiological character, for example:
- The period before the onset of menopause. Before menopause, the female body undergoes multiple hormonal changes, as a result of which hot flashes can occur - unexpected and causeless attacks of increased sweating. This usually happens in a dream. In this life period, they are often very worried, they often have stresses, which provokes an increase in sweating.
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, women often sweat during sleep, especially in the first three months. Pregnancy causes global changes in the female body, and severe sweating is considered normal, which should not bother a woman. If sweating is excessive and interferes with sleep, you can consult a doctor. Why do I wake up at night in a cold sweat, the woman asks. We continue to understand.
- A certain period of the menstrual cycle. Most often, sweating in a dream increases in women a few days before the onset of menstruation. This phenomenon can be explained by the fact that during this period the amount of estrogen in the blood increases, weakness, fatigue appears, at night the body begins to unpredictably respond to the slightest loads suffered by a woman during the day.
However, a woman can wake up at night in a cold sweat against the background of some pathological changes:
- Intoxication of the body.
- Long-term use of drugs such as phenothiazine, antipyretics, and drugs that lower blood pressure.
- Systemic pathologies of connective tissue - arthritis, rheumatism and others.
- Colds accompanied by fever.
- Disturbances in the activity of the endocrine system, for example, hyperthyroidism.
Sometimes a lady complains: "In the morning I wake up in a cold sweat."
Other pathologies and conditions
In addition, cold sweat can occur due to pathologies such as cancer, pneumonia, granulomatosis. In some cases, hyperhidrosis can be explained very simply - a woman wears very warm clothes, or her room has a very high temperature. In some women, a similar problem may occur as a result of eating spicy or hot foods. If sweat occurs for no apparent reason, it is important to seek the advice of a specialist.
When to go to the doctor?
Contact a doctor in the following cases:
- Excessive sweating begins after a long stay in rooms where there is a high temperature, or in the sun.
- There is a possibility of the presence of the diseases described above.
- Often there is anxiety without any reason, in particular in women, which is accompanied by increased sweating.
- Cold perspiration appears every night.
Currently, there are enough methods to combat excessive sweating. These include the use of special medications, Botox injections, surgical techniques, and antiperspirants. Features of therapy will depend on the severity of the pathology and the causes of its occurrence.
The most difficult is to diagnose the causes of excessive sweating. Moreover, for physiological and psychological reasons, it is not always possible to isolate a provoking factor. When sweating develops against the background of the use of medications taken by a person, the therapy will consist in their cancellation or replacement with analogues. If the cause of hyperhidrosis is a psychological problem, for example phobia, then its elimination will allow you to get rid of the disease and cope with unpleasant manifestations.
Which doctor should I go to?
In the case when cold perspiration is a symptom of a disease, the doctor should deal with the therapy. Seek help from a dermatologist. He will examine the skin, advise you to pass certain tests. Then the doctor determines an acceptable treatment regimen and prescribes the necessary medications to eliminate night sweats.
If a person complains that he woke up in a cold sweat after sleeping, he is shown the use of physiotherapeutic procedures. Electrophoresis can be done at home and in a medical facility. During therapy, you should periodically visit a doctor to monitor the result. After curing the provoking disease, cold perspiration will cease to appear on its own. In some cases, treatment of provoking diseases is not possible. Then the medical effect is aimed at eliminating external manifestations. In this case, cold sweat may periodically return.
If it is impossible to determine the cause of the appearance of cold perspiration, then the struggle against the manifestation itself is also impossible. In this regard, it is sometimes necessary to direct therapy not only to the cause, but also to the manifestation of the disease.
Why you wake up in a cold sweat is now clear.
To eliminate the manifestations of hyperhidrosis, you must first determine the cause of its development. In accordance with the diagnosed disease, complex therapy is prescribed:
- If the cause is an infection, then the specialist will prescribe drugs that have a detrimental effect on the pathogen.
- In case of migraine, the use of such medications as Acetaminophen, Aspirin, Ibuprofen is indicated.
- Women during menopause are shown therapy with hormonal medications.
- With stress, increased anxiety, the patient may require treatment by a psychotherapist.
- For the treatment of sweating itself, medications are prescribed that reduce the activity of sweat glands. If there are indications, sedatives may be used.
- Physiotherapeutic procedures, for example, iontophoresis, are considered effective. With this procedure, the galvanic current acts on the sweat glands, as a result of which their activity decreases.
- In some cases, patients are recommended the injection of special drugs, for example, botulinum toxin. This substance blocks the nerve connections responsible for the functioning of the sweat glands.
Therefore it is so important to find out the reasons.
Waking up in a cold sweat at night is rather unpleasant. Learn how to avoid this.
Hyperhidrosis is not a sentence; it is very successfully treated. However, such an unpleasant and delicate problem can be prevented if some preventive measures are observed:
- Hyperhidrosis can be triggered by metabolic disorders, so doctors urge to stop eating meat and fatty foods at night.
- Before going to bed, a walk in the fresh air is recommended. This will calm down and enrich the body with oxygen.
- In winter, you should regularly air the bedroom, especially before bedtime.
- It is necessary to take seriously the choice of antiperspirants. With a tendency to allergic reactions, it is necessary to give preference to hypoallergenic antiperspirants and deodorants.
- Some medications can cause cold perspiration. Therefore, it is important to consult a doctor before starting their use.
- Relaxation before bedtime is facilitated by meditation practices. It is also recommended to reduce physical and mental stress for some time.
After reading the article, it should be clear what it means to wake up in a cold sweat and how seriously you need to take this problem. With the development of hyperhidrosis, it is important to seek the advice of a therapist in order to conduct a comprehensive examination, identify the cause of the unpleasant phenomenon and eliminate it.
It is important to remember that such problems should be resolved immediately to avoid unpleasant consequences.
We examined why people wake up in a cold sweat.