Soldering can be successful only if the master adhered to all requirements and recommendations. For work, it is necessary to prepare a high-quality flux, which is most often represented by ordinary rosin. But this material is not always at hand. Because of this, every owner should know how to tear a wire without rosin at home.
If a beginner wants to figure out what it means to “tear a wire," then he needs to learn the basic characteristics. Tinning is the preliminary application of a thin layer of solder to the surface of two joined sections. This procedure is necessary if you want to improve electrical contact or improve the quality of soldering. Modern technology allows you to tin wire without the help of a soldering iron. To achieve the desired result, you need to prepare a small metal container in advance. It is best to use a carbonated drink cap. It is necessary to place several small pieces of tin-lead solder into the container.
The ends of the wires must be removed. The container with solder is heated until completely melted. For these purposes, you can use a candle, an electric stove. The exposed end of the wire is immersed in the flux so that it covers as much as possible the entire surface of the product. All excess should be removed with a quick movement of the hand with a rag. A uniform tin layer should remain on the wire. If the master needs to process a section of a flat part, then a little planed solder is poured on its surface. The source of fire is brought from below the product. After melting, the solder is rubbed on the surface with a steel rod. Metal parts can be treated with soldering acid.
If you prepare all the necessary devices in advance, then you can tuck the wires with a soldering iron much faster and better:
- Braid to remove excess solder. This element consists of flux-treated thin copper conductors.
- Convenient stand. This element is designed to provide comfortable and safe operation. You can make a stand with your own hands from a thin metal sheet.
- Original fixtures with enlarged glass and clamps. Work with small details will be better.
- Pliers, clamps, tweezers. These elements make working with hot parts easier.
The wire can only be tinned if the flux is selected correctly. Any modern solder is designed to remove oxide deposits on metal products, as well as prevent oxidation. Rosin perfectly copes with all the tasks set, but in some cases it is just necessary to know how to properly wire the wires with other means. The selected material must necessarily meet a number of requirements:
- Maximum dissolution of oxides.
- Low melting point.
- Uniform distribution over the entire surface.
- Low density.
- Quick dissolution with a soldering iron.
- The flux should not crack outside the working area.
- Lack of reaction with solder and metal parts.
- Easy removal at the end of work.
Amber, Animal Fat and Resin
To tear the wires from the headphones and other products, you must first melt all three components. Of course, a very unpleasant odor will come out during operation, but the result is worth it. The mixture must be constantly stirred. The composition of the product is as close as possible to rosin, so this is an ideal option for replacing it.
If the master has to process the iron parts, then the wood resin must be dissolved in food vinegar. Essence will not work. As a flux, you can use ordinary amber.
Batteries and aspirin
This option is considered the most affordable and reliable when you need to tin a copper wire. It will not be possible to replace rosin with flat effervescent tablets, so it is better to give preference to traditional aspirin. The drug should be ground to a powder and dissolved in water or wine-vodka alcohol. The only minus is that the procedure should be carried out under the hood or in a well-ventilated area. Otherwise, the master may breathe in harmful fumes. To achieve the desired result, you can also use electrolyte from used batteries.
To tin wire without rosin, you can use any alkaline tool. In order to avoid undesirable oxidation of the metal, it is necessary to carefully clean it and the solder itself, after which it should be coated with stearin. In this case, an ordinary candle is ideal. Before use, stearin must be melted without overheating. The protective layer will necessarily exclude the possibility of contact with air. Soldering is carried out under a stearic layer.
If there is no traditional rosin at hand, then you can use a universal tool for rubbing bows. Savvy craftsmen, who have flux with solder available, prefer to soak the product in pure alcohol. The component should completely dissolve. The reviews showed that rosin can be successfully replaced with just such an extract. The alcohol will gradually evaporate, and the wire processing itself will meet all the requirements.
Electric soldering iron
To qualitatively tin the wire, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- Soldering iron preparation. To sharpen the tip, you need to use sandpaper. The master should have a perfectly smooth and shiny surface of the product. A hot sting is placed in a flux and solder. The tip is applied to a small wooden plank. Manipulations are repeated exactly until the product acquires the desired form.
- Wire processing. They must be cleaned of the braid (at a distance of 1.5-2 cm from the edge) and covered with a prepared flux. The soldering iron tip is placed on top. Only after reflow can the wire be removed.
- The final work. The tool tip is treated with solder, the required area is heated to the optimum temperature. After covering the wires with tin, unnecessary movements should be avoided. To speed up cooling, you can use the fan.
Many beginners may encounter certain problems while working with a soldering iron. Most often, difficulties are associated with the processing of stranded wires. Reliable and durable connection is as follows:
- the wires are carefully cleaned from the insulating layer;
- bare veins should acquire a characteristic metallic luster;
- all places of the proposed connection are treated with solder;
- the parts are fastened together by a twisting method;
- sanding paper can be used to clean the soldering place; there should not be any burrs on the product that could impair the fastening strength;
- the compound is coated with molten solder;
- for reliability, the bonding place is wrapped with insulating tape.
The traditional soldering of wires using flux differs in such features:
- It is better to choose the tool that maximally dissolves and removes films from non-metallic materials that appear on the surface of products.
- The melting point of solder is higher than ordinary rosin. This condition must be taken into account to obtain the most durable grip.
- Flux should not come into contact with molten tin. Each tool always forms a separate coating, due to which maximum fixation of parts is achieved.
- The flux should always be maximally flattened on the surface so that there are no thickenings.
For complex and refractory materials, finding a substitute for a classic rosin is simply impossible. In another situation, in the absence of classical material, improvised tools with similar characteristics will be useful to the master. But this approach is only relevant at home, when you do not need to adhere to certain technologies. In the absence of rosin, you need to remember that the quality of soldering is reduced, because of which you need to be prepared for additional manipulations.