How to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment? Many beginner housewives are interested in this question. The main recommendation in this case is regular wet cleaning using cleaning compounds and the spread of pleasant aromas.
Even if you create the atmosphere in your room as if you were in a salon, select furniture and interior items with taste, an unpleasant smell will still make a bad impression. Persistent aroma can soak into upholstered furniture and curtains. In addition, often such a stench is able to remain on clothing and hair. How to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment? We will look at ways to get rid of this review.
Description of the problem
The longer your house smells bad, the more difficult it is to get it out. In difficult cases, a thorough washing of all things and processing of furniture with household chemicals will be required. If you can’t get rid of the unpleasant odor, you will have to make repairs in the apartment.
If there are unpleasant odors in rooms such as a bathtub or kitchen, the reason, as a rule, is a high level of humidity. You can get rid of excess moisture by placing a glass of coarse salt in the room or by spreading tablets of activated carbon. If the stink has appeared in a pantry or closet, you can try hanging bags of coffee, peels of citrus fruits, cinnamon, vanilla or flavored tea.
Owners of dogs and cats are also worried about the question of how to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment from a pet. We will consider the answer below.
Unpleasant aroma in the kitchen
When you cook, various smells often spread throughout the apartment. The most difficult thing is to get rid of them directly in the cooking zone. What to do in this case? How to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment?
First, if you do not already have a hood, be sure to install it. Every time you cook something, turn it on. Secondly, after each cooking, try to open the windows in the kitchen. The room should also be aired in the morning and evening. If you haven’t cooked anything for a long time, and the smell of food has remained in the kitchen, then most likely the curtains have absorbed it. They need to be washed. When cooking, try moving them to the side. So the fabric will not absorb odors.
Unpleasant aroma in the bath
Many housewives are interested in how to eliminate the unpleasant smell of sewage in the apartment. Due to the increased humidity, viruses and bacteria can actively multiply. In some places, mold can still form. You can overcome an unpleasant aroma if you wipe the walls with a mixture of water and soda. It is recommended to add 2-3 drops of essential oil to such a tool.
If you have a cat toilet in your bathroom, it can also be a source of bad smell. From the stink of urine, activated charcoal helps well. It is enough to arrange the tablets in different places in the bath. They should be changed every month.
How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke
If there are smokers in the family, then a persistent smell of tobacco may appear in the apartment. Usually it is absorbed into the upholstery, curtains and carpets. Many housewives in this case are interested in how to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment. The methods may be different:
- When washing floors, add 2-3 drops of ammonia to water.
- Lay out wet towels in different places in the room. They will absorb the smell of tobacco smoke.
- If you want to remove the tobacco smell from upholstered furniture, use a special tool. It should be diluted in water and applied to furniture with a brush.
- To quickly get rid of bad smell, use scented candles. They will absorb the smell of smoke.
- If family members have a habit of smoking in the kitchen, lay out skins from tangerines, oranges and grapefruits there. You can throw a few skins in a saucepan with hot water. The aroma emanating from it will help quickly hide the smell of smoke.
- The coffee smell is masked by light coffee beans. With such smoking incense, it is enough to simply walk around the rooms.
- To prevent things from smelling of tobacco, you can try to lay out canvas bags with dry lemon or orange peels, cinnamon, vanilla and coffee. To enhance the aroma of this collection, just add a couple drops of essential oil. Bergamot or citrus oil is suitable.
- Black tea tea eliminates the smell of tobacco. It must be hung at the windows and doors. At the same time, try to ventilate the room often.
- If you want your clothes not to smell like smoke, try turning them inside out, folding them on a flat surface and laying wet towels on top. When they dry, the clothes will smell normal. You can just wash clothes and dry on the balcony.
- To kill the tobacco smell indoors, use bay leaves. You just need to set them on fire and walk around the room with such a mixture. The smell will easily kill the tobacco. However, not everyone likes the scent of bay leaves.
- You can also use conventional flavors in the form of sprays and scent balls. Depending on their type, they can remain effective from a couple of hours to a couple of days. The aroma should be chosen to your taste.
The stink of damp
How to eliminate unpleasant odors in an apartment with folk remedies? A common problem is the unpleasant odor of mold. It may appear in the kitchen, toilet or bathroom. Sometimes such a smell can occur near animal drinkers.
There are several simple folk methods to combat dampness:
- Activated carbon is an excellent absorbent. It also helps to disinfect indoor air. For the bathroom will be enough 20 tablets.
- Against the stale air in the bath, coffee beans help well. They should be put in a pile and put somewhere in the toilet room. A week later, they can be thrown out and put fresh.
- Wet cleaning with a solution of vinegar helps well from the smell of dampness. For one liter of water, you need to take two tablespoons of the essence. In the resulting mixture, you can add any essential oil. To hide the smell of damp, lavender, pine and citrus oils are well suited.
- Absorbs aromas and ordinary rock salt. It must be poured into a glass and left indoors.
Sometimes it is useful to know not how to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment, but how to make sure that they do not appear.
Here are just a few recommendations:
- Try not to dry towels and linen in the bathroom for a long time.
- Clean rags immediately and dry thoroughly.
- After washing in the washing machine, leave it open for half a day. So the remaining moisture evaporates faster.
- If there is an unpleasant odor from the drain hole in the bathroom, pour half a glass of soda into it and pour two liters of water.
- If the washing machine smells of mold, fill it with a cup of whiteness and drive it in the washing mode.
- Use special baskets to store dirty laundry. If you are not going to wash right now, do not put dirty things in the basket.
- After the shower, it is advisable to ventilate the bathroom. You can use a special fan for this purpose.
- Wipe the drain area regularly with chlorine-based products.
- Keep clean in the bathroom, regularly air there.
- If you have a cat tray in the bathroom, keep it clean. Change the filler in the tray once every three days.
Stink of cat urine
If you have pets at home, you are probably interested in how to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment from pets. Non-neutered cats can mark territory.
In this case, the following remedies will help you get rid of the smell:
- special aerosols that clean the aroma of urine: can be found in supermarkets and pet stores;
- a mixture of liquid soap and soda: this mixture should be applied to the stain and covered with a rag on top, after a couple of hours, the rest of the product can be removed with a damp sponge;
- the composition of soda, lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide well eliminates the smell of cat urine - the resulting mixture should be sprayed on the place of the label.
In rooms where uncleaned or old things lie for a long time, a feeling of mustiness may appear. How to eliminate unpleasant odors in an apartment with folk remedies in this case?
Let's look at a few simple ways:
- rinse shelves in cabinets and chests with a solution prepared from one liter of water and a teaspoon of potassium permanganate;
- overtake all things in the closet;
- make some canvas bags, put citrus peels or coffee beans in them and hang them in the closet;
- do not put stale clothes in the closet, try to wash, iron and fold them in time;
- ventilate dressers and cabinets from time to time, do not keep them closed all the time.
Sometimes a bad flavor appears in their cabinets in the kitchen or breadbasket. Perhaps mold has formed there. How to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment by folk methods? The easiest way is to wipe the shelves and walls of the cabinets with vinegar or citric acid. A teaspoon will be enough for a liter of water. You can also try to grind 20-40 tablets of activated carbon, pour them into bags and fix on the walls of the cabinets. Instead of absorbent, you can take ground coffee. These funds are excellent absorbents.
Often sources of unpleasant odors in the kitchen are an oven or microwave. If the problem is the first, then first of all you will need to wash it. Then you should put inside the water with peels of mandarin, orange or lemon and turn on the device. Water should boil for about 10 minutes. To clean the microwave, coffee grounds are best. She removes dried pieces of food well. The walls and bottom of the microwave can be cleaned with regular toothpaste. After that, the unit should be washed and dried.
Unpleasant aroma in the refrigerator
So what do you need to know about this? Another problem for a modern housewife is the smell in the refrigerator. But if you know simple folk remedies, you can easily get rid of it.
Here is some of them:
- Try to spread the crust of Borodino bread on the shelves of the refrigerator. After 2-3 days, the unpleasant odor should disappear.
- Slice the lemon and place on the shelves of the refrigerator. The tool helps for 3-5 days.
- Put an open packet of soda in the refrigerator. It will absorb an unpleasant odor.
- Dip a piece of cotton wool in dissolved vanilla water and leave it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Instead of vanillin, you can use cinnamon or ground coffee.
What are they? In addition to folk remedies today, you can use modern means to refresh your home. Many housewives are interested in how to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment with the help of powder or aerosol. Here, everything is quite simple, just follow the attached instructions. However, it should be borne in mind that such artificial aromas only block the unpleasant odor. They do not fight the cause of the problem.
In this review, we examined in detail how to eliminate unpleasant odors in the apartment. Try to regularly ventilate the room and do weekly cleaning using special equipment. Hang aromatic bags of coffee, sea salt and citrus peels on the shelves of the cabinets. They will help create a delicate, pleasant aroma in the room.