Often there are apartments in brick houses in which it is cold even in summer. In winter, people dress warmly and still freeze. Heating bills are growing every month. Apartment owners are starting to find out why the heat does not stay in their home. They decide to insulate the walls themselves. The question is how and how to insulate a brick wall from the inside. It is believed that this is nothing complicated. Many do not know that errors in the work can lead to the fact that the walls will freeze even more. Most often, the wall is insulated from the outside, but there are situations when it is possible to insulate the room inside. Such cases include insulation of the end wall of a brick house from the inside. Consider this situation in more detail.
Cases when you can start warming
Insulation of brick walls from the inside is carried out only in extreme cases, when there are no other alternative options. These situations include the following:
- When the chief architect of the city banned any changes in the facade of this house. It can be of cultural value.
- If there is a deformation seam between the houses just behind the desired wall.
- It happens that the apartment is located in such a way that the elevator shaft is behind the wall. Then warming from the outside definitely will not work.
In some cases, insulation from the inside is planned initially, it is prescribed in the design of frame houses. In them, if desired, it is possible to enhance the insulation with the same material that was used during construction.
When the walls of the building are wooden, then insulation is possible only with one more layer of wood. If the owners of the apartment still decided to warm the brick walls from the inside with their own hands, then this work must be approached with all seriousness. It is necessary to study the market of insulation, as well as to find out how installation works are carried out.
Features of the process of insulation from the inside of the room
It is necessary to study the problems associated with internal wall insulation. Increasingly, people are wondering how to properly insulate the brick walls of the house. The main problem is that the wall begins to freeze even more with insulation. This is due to an increase in the level of dampness, and due to the loss of thermal insulation properties of the material used. As a rule, brick walls suffer the most from destruction.
In order not to aggravate the situation with the walls, you need to opt for materials with low vapor permeability and with minimal moisture absorption. During installation work with insulation, joints and seams should not be visible. Wall insulation from the inside with your own hands of a brick garage or other room should take place according to a previously prepared work plan.
What materials should not be taken to work?
There are several limitations. To insulate brick walls from the inside, it is unacceptable to use several materials:
- Mineral wool. Its properties do not allow to be a good insulation from the inside of the house.
- Liquid ceramics and cork are also not suitable.
- Drywall as well as warm plaster should be used only at the final stage of insulation.
- Fibrous materials are also not suitable for insulation.
- Expanded polystyrene is not used in this type of work, since it does not fit well with walls without special solutions. Joints only reduce the tightness of the structure.
In order for the warming process to go well, adhere to such criteria:
- The wall should be dry at the time of work.
- First you need to complete the waterproofing work, as well as vapor barrier.
- The insulator must be moisture resistant.
- It is necessary to ensure that there are no joints or crevices on the heat insulator.
To ensure that all conditions are met, you can build another wall inside the room. It can be tightly joined to an external wall. Another option would be the presence of an air cavity and a layer of insulation. Due to these repair measures, the temperature in the room will become higher, but the area will be significantly reduced. You can lose from three to seven cubic meters.
What materials are suitable?
It is worth considering several types of building materials:
- Polyurethane foam is a material that creates an excellent barrier to moisture. It has good thermal insulation properties. The only drawback in working with this coating is its application. Polyurethane foam is a foamy liquid, it quickly hardens. In order to ultimately get a flat surface, you will have to use formwork in your work. The space is filled with foam in small portions. It is important not to go beyond the edges of the intended border, the foam is very difficult to remove from the surfaces. After completion of work, waterproofing is put. This will require a plastic film. It is fixed on adjacent walls, as well as on the floor and ceiling. Mounts are wooden slats and sealant. It is permissible to replace the sealant with mastic. To carry out the final cladding, you will need an additional wall of drywall.
- The second wall is made of drywall. In this case, a thermal barrier is created by introducing heating elements into the second wall. Mounted by analogy with a warm floor. It is recommended to include this system only in severe colds. The wall starts to warm up from the inside, and then the heat moves to the middle of the room. In order not to suffer the interior decoration of the house, a second drywall wall is being erected. A variant of the wall is laid out in a half brick. In this case, the heating elements are mounted on a false wall. This option well maintains the temperature in the room in cold weather, but has a minus. An example is the insulation of the bath from the inside. In this case, the brick wall will be the second wall to maintain the temperature. The downside is the large cost of electricity. It turns out in parallel with the house, the street space is heated.
- Penoplex. This material is rarely used to insulate a brick wall from the inside because of its characteristics that are not suitable for this type of work. Some still decide to use it. In this case, the installation should be carried out carefully. Expanded polystyrene is sold in the form of sheets, their size is 100 by 100, or 100 by 50 centimeters. With any layout, joints will appear. It is important when working to fit the sheets as tightly as possible to each other. A thin layer of sealant must be applied to adjacent sheets. The finished solution is applied with a spatula in the form of small "cakes". Insulation of brick walls from the inside does not imply the appearance of air voids. Condensation will build up in these air spaces. Over time, the wallpaper will be damaged, a fungus may appear on the wall. It is permissible to apply a special adhesive solution to the surface. It will provide maximum adhesion of the sheet to the wall. Before starting work, you must purchase a needle roller. It is great for perforating the material used. The solution will hold penoplex more firmly on the wall. This method is only suitable for perfectly smooth walls. It is better to level the walls with ready-made mixtures. They create a special layer that protects against moisture. Such material can subsequently be used to repair the bathroom.
It is possible to insulate a brick wall with foam inside. The required material is advised to be fixed with profiles, in the form of the letter "T". They are placed between the sheets of foam and attached to the floor, ceiling. It is not allowed to fasten the material with anchor bolts. They destroy the tightness of the coating. It is possible to insulate a brick wall from the inside with mineral wool, the technology of this process does not differ from other methods. However, as noted above, this is not the most successful material.
In what order is the insulation work carried out?
The first step to insulating a brick wall from the inside is to choose a method. After that, people count the amount of materials that need to be purchased. When everything is in stock, you can proceed with the installation work. After installation, cosmetic repairs are carried out using wallpaper and painting.
Material Buying Tips
There are certain conditions for successful insulation. Do not save money on material. Better to buy quality products, even more expensive than we would like. Do not skip any steps in technology. It is necessary to write an action plan in advance and adhere strictly to it. If at some stage you try to reduce costs, then serious problems may arise in the future. Have to warm the walls again. It is necessary to carry out work in such a way that the invested funds and own forces are justified.
When is it better to carry out insulation work?
Warming is done only in spring and summer. This work assumes a plus temperature and no precipitation. Humidity should not go beyond acceptable limits.
It is necessary to wait until the wall is completely dry. To speed up the drying process, you can use electric heaters or heat guns. Heat minimizes humidity in the room.
In what sequence does the wall treatment take place?
The old coating is removed from the wall, even the bottom layer of paint or glue. The concrete slab should remain. It is cleaned of building dust using a vacuum cleaner or an ordinary brush.
If you notice a fungus on the wall, then you can not continue to work without completely eliminating it. To combat fungi and mold, there are a number of drugs. They are applied to the surface, waiting for some time and washed. Sometimes the fungus affects neighboring walls, they also need to be cleaned. It is better to use professional tools, although so far many people use folk remedies to combat the problem of mold and fungus on the walls.
Walls must also be treated with an antiseptic solution. The next step is the priming of the surface. The wall should dry between work. When choosing a primer, you should pay attention to the composition. It is better to choose one that penetrates deep into the wall.
When do plastering work?
When heating elements are used in the construction, plastering must first be carried out. The wall should be smooth. It is better to plaster using beacons in the process. So you can achieve a flat surface, even if there were differences on the wall.
Plaster applied even with a thin layer dries for several days. This coating can be primed. After drying, a layer of sealant is applied. It provides a good water repellent coating.
When the preliminary work is completed, proceed directly to the installation. After it, the walls are allowed to rest and completely dry.
An additional wall is mounted, after which the last coat of finish is applied. As the final layer used wallpaper, paint. The option of laying tiles. The most popular decoration option in our time is a special Venetian plaster. It turns out walls with artificial bumps. Topical coverage under “tightened skin”. Often an insulated false wall is made under "artificial brick". This coating imitates natural masonry. It has established itself in the market due to the fact that it repels dust and is excellent for washing.
When people choose high density polystyrene foam, it can only be plastered. If the installation work is carried out efficiently, then it will last more than one year.
It is important to remember safety measures during installation work. It is necessary to take care of gloves and protective masks in advance. It is necessary to carry out work in a ventilated room.
So, we found out how to insulate the walls of a brick house from the inside with our own hands. As you can see, you can choose different materials for insulation. The choice is only the owner.