Suppose that in our age of portable gadgets, walkie-talkies are not so relevant, yet it is sometimes interesting, and sometimes it is necessary to use them. Here we will look at how to make the simplest models of these devices, as well as the associated issues associated with them.
Homemade walkie-talkie: materials
Before you make a walkie-talkie with your own hands, prepare the necessary simple components for it:
- Two aluminum / tin cans, in extreme cases - paper cups.
- Fishing line, thread 5-10 m long.
Now you can get to work.
We will analyze in detail how to make a walkie-talkie at home:
- Using a hammer and a nail, make punctures in the bottom of each can and cup. The hole should be sufficient for the fishing line to pass through.
- Pass the line through both punctures. Inside cans or cups, tie it with a volume knot - so that it cannot be pulled out or pulled out.
- In order for the interlocutor to hear your voice, the line should be as tight as possible - after all, sound waves will pass through it.
- The conversation on this makeshift walkie-talkie looks like this: one person speaks inside a glass, and the other holds his can near his ear.
The application "Zello-walkie-talkie"
The most convenient and easiest way to try the charm of talking on the walkie-talkie is to install an application with this function on your smartphone. The leader among them is Zello, which can also be installed on a laptop or PC. The program is completely free for all existing OS. Zello is often used by developers of mobile software - it allows them to add the function of communicating by walkie-talkie to their applications.
Zello uses Wi-Fi or mobile Internet to transmit voice. The app also supports bluetooth headset. Your voice message is first saved by the system, and then sent to the addressee. Zello supports communication of 800 interlocutors, displays their connection status, stores the history of voice messages, creates special password-protected channels.
Voxer Walkie Talkie
Another way to answer the question "How to make a walkie-talkie from a smartphone?" - This is the Voxer application, absolutely free for owners of iPhones and Androids. Data transfer via mobile Internet or Wi-Fi will also not bring you additional waste. The application can be called a walkie-talkie conditionally - it does not provide the ability to talk in real time, but quickly sends voice messages from user to user.
Among the features of this walkie-talkie application are the following:
- The ability to record a voice message and save it inside the program at times when the gadget is not connected to the Internet.
- Reproduction of the voice of the interlocutor in two or three times acceleration.
- Storing voice message history.
- Ability to indicate your location for interlocutors.
- In addition to the walkie-talkie mode, this application can be used as a convenient messenger - through it it is possible to transfer text messages, video, audio or photos.
A Voxer-like application will be HeyTell. It is also absolutely free and works in all data transfer modes. It is distinguished by its more flexible settings and the presence of three categories of privacy for your conversations.
iPTT - walkie-talkie for iOS
How to make a walkie-talkie on an iPhone or iPad using this application, even a small child will understand - before that it is easy to operate. By the way, iPTT is the first application of this kind in the AppStore, and it’s completely free.
Using this program, you can create a direct communication channel with both a single addressee and a group of people. You can also choose the "whisper" mode - to communicate privately with one person in a group.
Similar to the iPTT in functionality, the application will be TiKL Touch Talk Walkie Talkie. It is available for free not only for gadgets on iOS, but also on Android.
How to make an antenna for a walkie-talkie
If you are the owner of a walkie-talkie, then it will not be a secret for you that homemade antennas for these devices are more effective than factory ones. The size of the homemade product, by the way, can be set within 9-25 cm. You will need:
- connector suitable for your walkie-talkie;
- a piece of any thick cable (only insulation is needed from it);
- sew wire 0.25-0.7 mm;
- heat shrink;
The manufacturing process looks like this:
- Pull all contents out of the cable without damaging the outer duct of insulating material.
- At this stage, check how this tube fits to the connector - ideally, it should fit into it.
- On the tube, departing 4-5 mm from the level of the connector, it is necessary to make a hole for the wire, where the last should be placed - inside the pipe.
- Solder the central pin of the connector to the end of the wire, and then glue it into the last tube.
- The PEV wire protruding from the tube in equal turns should be wound outward from the connector. The length of the winding is 10-25 cm. The thicker the cable, the longer the winding.
- Fix the skeins with glue so that they do not unwind.
- Test the device - if necessary, cut the winding.
How to make a walkie-talkie effect
If you need to convert any voice recording into a kind of conversation on the walkie-talkie, then you can do the following:
- Use the Adobe Audition program and the Wave4 plugin. The effect of Old Radio will help you achieve what you want.
- In the same Adobe Audition 3.0, go along the path of Effects - Filter and EQ - FFT Filter. Next is the Telephone - Receiver or Telephone - Voice Mail preset.
- Download the VST plugin AudioEase Speakerphone, which, in addition to the walkie-talkie, allows you to impose the effect of a loudspeaker, megaphone, poor telephone connection, etc.
- Via FabFilter - Saturn presets.
How to make a walkie-talkie at home and on a smartphone? The process is quite simple and fun. Moreover, today many instant messengers for phones and PCs provide users with the possibility of voice and video communication in real time via the Internet. However, in the absence of mobile and landline communications on the ground, walkie-talkies remain indispensable.