The purpose of the article is to explain to the reader how to make a home-made Cyclone for collecting sawdust, concrete dust and other garbage. If there is no money to buy or rent a construction vacuum cleaner, the product mentioned will be an excellent replacement for it. In addition, to create a cyclone filter, you need a few materials and a minimal set of tools.
Cleaning in the room where repairs are being carried out is a painstaking and time-consuming task. It is not enough just to brush away or sweep away with a broom sawdust, particles of plaster, grains of drywall, since the dust settles on all surfaces of the room. In this case, even wet cleaning will not help. Therefore, there is only one solution to this problem - use a vacuum cleaner.
But the trouble is that using a household appliance to clean the room of building dust is a bad idea, since the bag of the device will quickly clog, so you will have to constantly clean it. In addition, large particles (e.g. chips and pieces of mortar) will cause clogging of the pipe and other parts of the household appliance.
An industrial vacuum cleaner is a large and expensive appliance, so it is rarely used to clean the living room in which the repair was made. But the craftsmen found a simple solution to this problem. A homemade Cyclone filter is a simple product that needs to be supplemented with a household vacuum cleaner when it is necessary to clean the house of dust and not damage the device.
Principle of operation
The Cyclone uses an aerodynamic air flow to bind small dust particles to each other. In the process, a centrifugal force also acts, which presses the debris against the walls of the container. After that, the dust settles at the bottom of the chamber due to gravity. It is possible to make the indicated dust collecting container from improvised means (for example, a bucket, plastic bottle or road cone).
To make a home-made Cyclone is a simple task, for the implementation of which you will need a standard set of parts. The list includes the following items:
- capacity in which garbage will come;
- additional details: pipes, adapters, bends, etc.
An important condition is the power of the vacuum cleaner. In normal condition, the device will cope with cleaning the room, where there is a little debris and dust. But if you supplement it with a cyclone filter, in this case the length of the duct will increase several times, which will increase the load.
Before you start making a home-made Cyclone, you need to consider its advantages:
- high efficiency;
- no need to regularly replace and clean the dust bag;
- some models are quite compact (for example, a product from a road cone);
- the ability to make the case out of transparent materials, which will make it possible to control the level of contamination;
- easy container cleaning.
The main thing is that such a filter can be developed independently with the help of improvised means.
Home-made "Cyclone" for a vacuum cleaner from buckets: the necessary materials and tools
The body of the product can be made of metal containers. Before you start developing a makeshift "Cyclone" for sawdust, dust and debris, you need to prepare such devices:
- jigsaw (manual or electric - it doesn’t matter);
- a screwdriver or a set of screwdrivers;
- a grinder or scissors for metal;
- thermal gun;
- hacksaw with small teeth;
- marker and compass.
To create a product you need to purchase the following materials:
- two metal buckets (the first container should be ten-liter, and the second - 5 l);
- sheet plywood;
- corrugated hose;
- plastic water pipe (length - 150 mm, and diameter - 50 mm);
- 30-inch two-inch PVC elbow;
- silicone sealant;
- stainless steel screws.
The main thing is that the tin containers have lids (plastic containers can also be used).
Making "Cyclone" from buckets: step-by-step instructions
Having prepared the materials and tools, then we must proceed directly to the creation of the product. To make a home-made "Cyclone" of buckets, you need to perform the following steps:
- Make a cylindrical part. To do this, cut off the upper part of the five-liter bucket with scissors for metal. The result should be a capacity in the form of a small cone.
- Turn the part over and put it on plywood.
- Circle the container with a marker.
- Mark an additional circle with a compass, the radius of which should be 3 cm larger than the previous one.
- Cut two holes inside the ring with a 50 mm crown.
- Draw the contour of the curly element (insert) and cut it with a jigsaw. The result of the work is two parts of the future filter made of plywood. The role of the insert is to shape the direction of the air flow inside the device.
- Attach the ring to the back of the lid of the 10 liter bucket and bypass the marker.
- Cut the middle along the outlined lines.
- Drill holes at the top of the small bucket.
- Put the plywood ring on the container. To fix it, you need to screw the screws through the holes of the bucket with a screwdriver.
- Place a circle of the lid on the locking belt from the container with a volume of 10 l with the side up and fasten it.
- Make two holes with diameters of 50 mm on the side and top in the cyclone body.
- Cut a square from sheet plywood in which you need to make a similar opening.
- Put the frame on the cover of the filter housing, while aligning the holes. The specified part is fixed with screws.
- Set the curly insert slightly below the ring. On the outside of the container, tighten the screws, which should enter the body of the element.
- Insert a plastic pipe into the frame. The main thing is that the bottom ring does not reach the curly insert by 50 mm.
- Expand the side hole made in the cyclone body to form a drop.
- Glue PVC elbow into the resulting opening. At this stage, a thermal gun comes in handy.
- To put the Cyclone case on a large bucket, which is a garbage bin.
- Insert the hose from the vacuum cleaner in the upper outlet, and the corrugated pipe in the side to collect dust, sawdust, etc.
- Treat all joints with silicone sealant.
Homemade Cyclone must be cleaned regularly. In this case, a toothbrush is useful.
Simple "cyclone" from a bucket
In this case, a 20 liter capacity is required. To make a home-made "Cyclone" for a vacuum cleaner from a metal bucket, you need to follow this instruction:
- Cut a hole in the center of the galvanized cover with a grinder or scissors.
- Close the slots with sealant.
- Make a hole with a diameter of 40 mm in the side of the bucket.
- Insert a 45 ° plastic elbow into it.
- Connect the corrugated hose to the installed element with a pipe. It is advisable to tilt the corrugation towards the bottom, as it will turn out to direct the air along the desired path.
- Place capron cloth or other permeable material on the filter. Thanks to this, large particles of garbage will not get into the home-made Cyclone.
- Connect the filter outlet to the elbow on the cover.
- Seal all joints with sealant or glue.
If you can’t insert the pipe, then you will have to make an adapter from a rubber hose.
Road cone cyclone
This is the original option for making a filter. The methodology for developing a makeshift "Cyclone" for a vacuum cleaner for concrete dust from a road cone consists of the following steps:
- Make a plywood cover. To do this, cut a circle of the required diameter, in which two holes must be cut. To complete this step, a drill and wood crowns are required. One hole should be in the center and the other at the edge.
- Insert a plastic pipe of suitable diameter into the opening made in the middle of the cap. The joint must be coated with glue or sealant.
- In the same way, insert a pipe into the second hole, onto which it is then necessary to put on a 45 ° elbow. Thanks to the last part, the air should swirl, since the plastic outlet will be inside the cone. Glue the joint too.
- Cut the bottom and the tip of the cone with a hacksaw or saw, and then insert the device into the container in which concrete dust will accumulate. Seal the attachment point with sealant.
- Reinforce the lid on the back with pieces of chipboard, which must be fixed with screws.
Before work, it is advisable to check the home-made Cyclone for leaks. If everything is assembled correctly, during suction the dust will fall to the bottom of the tank or settle on its walls.
Before creating a "Cyclone", you need to take into account several important tips to get a reliable and powerful product:
- To optimize the operation of the vacuum cleaner, two hoses must be connected at once: for blowing and suction.
- You must regularly check the tightness of the container. If you use a bucket with microcracks, you will have to completely redo the filter, since dust will leak out through any defective places.
- It is advisable to supplement the device with a tank of water.
- It is better to use a container made of metal under the waste bin, since it is stronger than a plastic container.
To make a home-made Cyclone for a vacuum cleaner at home from simple materials is a simple task. Thanks to the information provided in this article, everyone will be able to make this product with their own hands. The main thing is to carefully study the instructions and check the operability of the finished device. The slightest violation of the manufacturing technique will cause the device to malfunction.