Coffee is one of the most popular drinks, so coffee houses are opening more and more. There are many different varieties of it. Some are even more like dessert than drink. One popular option is irish coffee. There are several options for recipes that will reveal all the taste of the drink.
A brief history of creation
The recipe for irish coffee appeared in Ireland, which is why it got its name. The chef of one of the airport restaurants decided to treat passengers with an unusual cocktail. It included coffee, whiskey and cream. Tourists were impressed by the delicious Irish coffee and asked to make another such cocktail.
So he became popular not only in Ireland, but throughout the world. The presence of whiskey in the recipe for irish coffee makes it an "adult" drink. This cocktail has been known in Ireland for a long time. But thanks to the entrepreneurial spirit of the bartender, he became popular all over the world.
Now there are various options for Irish coffee, each of which has its own unique taste:
- Adding ice to coffee - this cocktail is served cold.
- Russian Coffee - coffee is combined with vodka.
- French Coffee - instead of whiskey they use cognac.
- Irish Cream - use liquor (most often Baileys).
Each of these varieties has a special taste. If you like a harsh and stronger taste, then whiskey and other strong drinks will suit you. If you value the soft and creamy taste more, then you should add liquor.
The subtleties of cooking
The following components are included in the classic version of the Irish coffee recipe:
- quality Irish whiskey;
- good black coffee;
- sugar - 1 tsp;
- whipped cream - 2 tbsp. l
You need to take the components in this ratio - 1 to 2 (1 part whiskey and 2 parts coffee). It is best used for making Jameson whiskey, but you can choose another whiskey that you like best. It is also important that cream is used, not milk. That is why the classic recipe for irish coffee is difficult to prepare due to the fact that you need to use fresh farm cream.
But then bartenders and barists began to experiment with the recipe in order to get new unusual taste. So, the popular version of irish cream is considered more suitable for ladies, because instead of whiskey they use cream liqueur. Also, to make the taste more saturated and vibrant, add various spices.
Glass for a drink
There are special rules for the use of the drink, which allow you to get real pleasure from its taste. Therefore, there is a special irish glass. This coffee was served in small portions. The bartender-cook served it in beer glasses simply because the coffee cups ran out in the restaurant then. Therefore, now this cocktail is served in a glass bowl.
The classic irish glass holds 220-240 ml of the drink. But you can choose dishes with a large volume. But the classic version of Irish coffee is not prepared in large portions. The glass for this drink has a rounded shape and a small elegant leg. It is completely glass with a handle. The glass should be thick enough to allow the drink not to cool too quickly, and you can enjoy the rich taste of coffee. Such a special glass allows you to make a cocktail in layers.
The composition of the irish coffee in the classic version includes coffee beans, an alcoholic drink and cream. To prepare it, you will need:
- Jameson whiskey - 40 ml.
- Freshly brewed coffee - 90 ml.
- Farm whipped cream (they should have a thick and greasy consistency) - 2 tbsp. l
- Cane sugar - 1 tsp.
- Pour boiling water into a glass. Leave it there until the dishes are warm. Then pour liquid from the glass.
- Start making coffee in cezve or using a French press. However, combine the whiskey and sugar and heat. Sugar should be a little caramelized. You can do it right in the glass.
- Put out the flame and pour over this coffee mixture.
- Farm cream must be whipped to a thick consistency in an ice shaker. The main thing is that they do not curl up and be without lumps.
- Using a bar spoon, carefully distribute the cream on the surface of the drink.
The classic version of Irish coffee is ready. Now you can enjoy the wonderful taste of this drink that has conquered the whole world.
Recipe with Baileys liquor
Irish cream is no less popular than the classic version of Irish coffee. To prepare it, you will need:
- Baileys liquor - 70 ml.
- Sugar - 1 tsp.
- Freshly brewed coffee - 150 ml.
- Whipped cream - 2 tbsp. l
- Prepare a glass and pour strong coffee into it.
- Add sugar and stir it in the drink.
- Pour in the liquor.
- Add whipped cream.
- For extra decoration, sprinkle grated chocolate on top.
This drink looks beautiful and is perfect for women. To taste, it is not inferior to classic Irish coffee.
Making a Cinnamon Cocktail
Cinnamon is often used to make coffee. Some connoisseurs believe that this spice reveals the taste of the drink, making it even more saturated. How to make cinnamon irish coffee? To prepare it, you will need:
- ground coffee - 2 dessert spoons;
- filtered water - 1 cup;
- fat cream - ½ cup;
- sugar - 1 dessert spoon;
- whiskey or cream liqueur - 40 ml;
- milk chocolate - 5 cubes;
- ground cinnamon - 1 pinch.
- You need to brew coffee, and in order for the ground to sink to the bottom, add an ice cube to it.
- Then pour coffee into the prepared glass.
- Add the right amount of alcohol to combine with sugar.
- Whip the cream to a thick consistency and spread them over the surface of the drink.
Use cinnamon and grated chocolate for decoration.
The European recipe is slightly different from the classic Irish version. It looks more like a latte. But still, it also has the main component - it's whiskey. For it you need to use more coffee - 200 ml.
- In a prepared glass, combine 200 ml of coffee and 50 ml of alcohol. Add sugar; best use cane.
- Then take a cream of thick consistency and distribute them on the surface of the drink.
This drink is softer and ideal for those who do not like strong coffee.
How to serve and drink Irish coffee
When serving and for consumption, you do not need to mix the layers - so you can feel all the taste of the drink. Coffee should pass through heated alcohol and cool cream. This will make the taste of the drink original and more saturated.
Whipped cream should be on the surface of the drink - they not only decorate Irish coffee, but also complement its taste. Also, the drink should be served hot. To enjoy the taste of this wonderful coffee cocktail, you do not need to bite it with anything. Also, Irish coffee should be drunk in large sips, and not through a straw.
Served in a glass goblet of thick glass with a handle. So the drink will remain hot, and the handle will not burn. A transparent glass will allow you to admire the beautiful appearance of Irish coffee. You can decorate the “hat” of cream with grated chocolate or other spices.
Irish coffee is a great way to warm up and plunge into the atmosphere of beautiful Ireland. It can be done at home. Some people try to replace farm creams with store creams or milk, but your taste will be different. Therefore, try to find all the ingredients you need and surprise your loved ones and guests with this great coffee drink. It does not need to serve any desserts, but if you want to complement it, then choose tiramisu.
Irish coffee is a drink for true connoisseurs who like a combination of coffee, alcohol and cream. And its beautiful serving will make this drink a real table decoration.