Maintaining order in the bathroom and toilet is not an easy task for the hostess. The cleanliness of bathtubs and toilets depends on the frequency of cleaning and the quality of cleaning products. One of the problems that you have to deal with when cleaning the bathroom is lime plaque on the toilet. Let's figure out how to get rid of it.
The reasons for the formation of plaque
First of all, limescale can appear on the toilet due to the high content of calcium and magnesium minerals dissolved in sewer water. In most cases, it forms on the walls of the toilet due to leaks from the tank, which can be caused by an incorrectly adjusted float. An important role in the formation of plaque plays the material of manufacture of the toilet. If it is not covered with glaze or has a porous and rough surface, then dirt will accumulate on it faster.
The best choice for a complete bathroom will be the purchase of a porcelain toilet with a very smooth surface. It is less prone to pollution, but its price is higher.
Other types of pollution
In addition to limescale, problems include rust and urinary stone.
Rust can form due to the high content of glandular constituents in the water and due to the poor condition of sewer pipes made of metal or cast iron.
Urine stone is formed due to the fact that urine falls on the rough surfaces of the toilet bowl and, in the absence of regular cleaning and flushing, dries out, growing to a very unpleasant-looking deposit.
Removing lime scale: methods and means
To effectively deal with limescale, you must first not start your toilet, regularly cleaning it. But if the problem has reached a large scale, then it must be solved immediately. The answer to the question of how to remove plaque in the toilet lies in the choice between home cleaning methods and special cleaners. It is decided purely individually, based on the capabilities and desires of the hostess.
Home methods for controlling limescale
There are many ways to clean the toilet of limescale at home, which are available to almost everyone:
- The use of vinegar. Acetic acid has proven itself in the fight against various types of pollution. To clean the toilet, it is necessary to pour 200-250 ml of 9% or 70% vinegar into a container and, having covered it with a lid to prevent the spread of an unpleasant odor, heat it to a temperature of 40 ° C. Then carefully pour onto the area affected by limescale. Under the influence of vinegar solution, the contaminated place should remain for 3-4 hours. But for the best effect, this method is better to use before bedtime, letting vinegar fight raid throughout the night. If after flushing there are traces of limescale, the procedure is repeated.
- The use of citric acid. In order to cope with limescale on the toilet, many housewives recommend using citric acid. Enough 100-150 grams of substance for one dose. The acid powder is scattered at the place of plaque formation and left for 2-3 hours. After this time expires, it is necessary to drain the water from the tank and treat the plaque-affected area with a brush or a hard brush. If this procedure does not bring the desired result, it is recommended to repeat it until the pollution completely disappears.
- Use of oxalic acid. In Soviet times, many knew the way how to clean the toilet of limescale. It consists in using a dry powder of oxalic acid. Since this drug is caustic, hands should be protected with rubber gloves before use. You can apply oxalic acid powder to a damp cloth made of dense fabric and clean the contaminated surface with it. But most often it is recommended to simply sprinkle the powder directly on the contaminated area of the toilet. Leave for an hour or two, then rinse thoroughly with a brush or brush.
A radical way to deal with limescale at home
If the limescale on the toilet is old-fashioned and the fight against it does not bring the desired result, craftsmen suggest using the most radical way. It consists in the use of electrolyte. This method requires compliance with increased safety measures: the presence of a respirator, goggles and rubber gloves. Pour the electrolyte at the place of formation of limescale in the toilet should be very careful: with a thin stream and avoiding spraying. This is dictated by the fact that during evaporation, the electrolyte emits a pair of harmful sulfuric acid, which is harmful to the respiratory system and skin. Therefore, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons before using this method.
Carbonated drinks as a means of getting rid of limescale
Do not know how to clean the toilet of limescale? Use the proven, easy and safe way. It’s enough to buy a couple of bottles of highly carbonated drinks such as Coca-Cola, Pepsi or Sprite. Pour their contents into the toilet and let stand for a couple of hours. During this time, active soda will soften the limescale, and it will remain to be washed off with a brush or a sponge treated with ordinary detergent.
The use of tablets for the tank to combat limescale
As a prophylactic that helps get rid of limescale and other contaminants, tablets for the drain tank should be noted. They not only help maintain cleanliness in the toilet, but also fight odors in the toilet room. Their principle of action is based on the gradual dissolution in the water filling the flush tank. When this water is washed off, along with it, all harmful deposits from the walls of the toilet bowl (except those with a chronic character) are cleaned. Manufacturers offer a choice of a wide range of tablets for the flush tank. Among them, quite effective are:
- cubes for the Domestos drain tank, their average price is 130-150 rubles;
- Bref cubes, which can be purchased for 150-165 rubles .;
- cleaning tablets for a Chirton tank at a price of 60 to 70 rubles.
General recommendations for the selection of funds from limescale
The modern chemical industry produces a wide range of tools that help housewives in cleaning. According to the type of components contained, limescale agents can be divided into the following conditional groups:
- Abrasive cleaners. Their main component is an abrasive, which can be fine-grained elements with high hardness. They can be natural (chalk, quartz sand, finely ground, various types of pumice) and artificial origin. The main disadvantage of abrasive products is that they scratch and damage the surface of the toilet bowl, making it rough, which can contribute to the rapid accumulation of dirt in the future.
- Alkaline cleaning products. As the name implies, they are created on the basis of alkaline compounds, the ph of which lies in the range from 8 to 12. Depending on the level of alkali content, the ability of these agents to withstand difficult to remove pollution varies. But it is worth considering that alkali practically does not cope with mineral deposits, including calcareous.
- Acid-based cleaners have acid as their main component. Their ph value has a value from 1 to 5. Unlike alkaline products, they can cope with the most persistent pollution. But, using acidic cleaners, you need to carefully take care of safety measures: rubber gloves, respiratory protection and eye protection.
A Brief Overview of Abrasive Toilet Cleaners
From cleaning products containing abrasives, one can distinguish powdered: Pemolux, Sorti. Their price ranges from 30 to 70 rubles. Many housewives have long used the well-proven Sanita pasta, whose price for a capacity of 400 grams does not exceed 60 rubles. These powders and pastes do a good job of contaminating, but require the hostess to use physical force to mechanically affect the lime deposit. Do not forget that the use of powder adversely affects the surface of the toilet, making it rough, covered with microcracks. Therefore, you should pay attention to funds produced in the form of a liquid or gel. They are more gentle on the surface.
A Brief Overview of Alkaline Toilet Cleaners
The most well-known and well-proven remedy for limescale on the toilet is the popular "White", the price of which is very affordable. It contains sodium hypochlorite, an active disinfectant and antiseptic.
To clean the toilet with the “White”, you need to pump out water from it. Then pour the product into the toilet and leave it overnight. In the morning, it is enough to flush the water in several stages. As practice shows, after applying "White", the limescale completely disappears.
The most affordable for the wallet is a liter bottle of Belizna funds (its average price is 25-35 rubles), manufactured at the MMZ enterprise.
Overview of Acid-Based Toilet Cleaners
Means containing acid are highly effective and fight against lime deposits on the toilet. Using them, you will know how to clean the toilet of limescale without much effort.
According to market research, one of the best toilet facilities is Cillit Bang lime and rust toilet gel in a 500 ml package. Its basis is hydrochloric acid, which is highly aggressive. Of the advantages of this tool should be noted the convenience of packaging, high efficiency in the fight against various types of difficult to remove pollution, a very dense concentration. Of the shortcomings - a fairly high price that will have to pay. In addition, the Cillit Bang lime and rust packaging is not childproof.
More affordable and no less useful in the fight against limescale is Domestos gel, the average price of which is 200 rubles. It also includes hydrochloric acid. It has a dense concentration and is economically consumed. Its packaging is equipped with a convenient cap that provides reliable protection against children. One of the significant disadvantages of Domestos gel is its annoying, pungent odor. But according to consumer reviews, it can be said that this tool is ideal for cleaning the toilet.