Modern plastic windows are distinguished by good quality characteristics and durability. To extend their service life, it is necessary to properly maintain and operate the devices. One of the main conditions for the correct operation of systems is the adjustment of the fittings of plastic windows. A similar operation may be required when switching from summer to winter mode or after several years of operation. It may also be necessary to repair the handle if it is jammed or there is play, repairing the shutters that stop opening smoothly and effortlessly. Another popular problem is the displacement of window elements and their clinging to the frame. Let’s try to figure out how to solve these problems yourself, without calling a specialist.
What tool is needed?
Adjusting the fittings of plastic windows is quite possible to do on their own. This does not require not only the participation of a professional, but also the availability of special tools, the main thing is a desire and understanding of the functioning of the system.
Among the necessary tools:
- A key with a hexagonal tip with a diameter of four millimeters (a similar one is used when servicing bicycles and mopeds).
- Several screwdrivers with nozzles “T”, “TX” or a cross model (depending on the type of fastening of the serviced elements).
- Engine oil or wagon (WD-40).
Adjusting the fittings of plastic windows: key nodes
Double-glazed windows are adjusted at several key points:
- Setting the lower hinge of the sash in vertical and horizontal position.
- Adjustment of the angle of reclining on the upper loop according to the type of scissors.
- Checking eccentrics around the entire working perimeter for clamping forces to the frame.
- The position and stability of the handle.
The need to adjust the fittings of plastic windows may arise in the following cases:
- If clinging of the sash to the lower part of the frame is observed. There is a high probability of deformation of the sealant, which will significantly reduce the quality of insulation.
- The leaf does not press tightly to the base. This problem helps to reduce thermal insulation and the penetration of cold air into the room.
- If there are drafts and blows around the perimeter of the groove.
- If it is impossible to close the window.
- Friction detection of metal elements when opening or closing the sash.
- There is a jamming of the handle or its loosening.
Adjust Maco hardware in plastic windows
Consider examples of correcting identified malfunctions on double-glazed windows equipped with fittings of one of the most popular brands. These recommendations are relevant for most modifications from other manufacturers.
Often, such manipulations are carried out in horizontal and vertical planes. When touching the base with the lower part of the sash, vertical adjustment of the part will be required. Such a situation may also occur if the installation of a double-glazed window is carried out with a violation of technology. For example, there may be a gap between the frame and the flange of the sash of the order of 12 millimeters. This oversight is usually detected after installation, however, it is quite possible to rectify the situation without resorting to removal of the structure.
First you need to make basic measurements. For this:
- Using a sharpened pencil, draw a line along the edge of the closed sash.
- The ruler measures the distance from the drawn line to the edge of the sash.
- If the final result does not exceed eight millimeters, an adjustment is not necessary. For larger or smaller values, it is necessary to adjust the Mako hardware for plastic windows (as well as any other) as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the seal and other elements will work inefficiently and deform.
First you need to determine the reference point - it is located in the upper part of the lower loop of the sash being processed and is protected by a special cap that can be easily removed. Then go directly to the adjustment.
Sash pulling steps:
- A suitable tetrahedron should be selected from the tool kit. It is undesirable to use keys that are inadequate in size, because you can knock down the control pattern, which can complicate the further process.
- A pull-up is performed by turning the control screw clockwise, to lower the element, do the same manipulations in the opposite direction.
- When performing work, care should be taken to be careful, as the screw is quite fragile. Verification of the position of the sash is performed every quarter turn. Rotations should be carried out freely, without extraneous sounds and obstacles.
A more complicated procedure is the independent adjustment of the fittings of plastic windows in a horizontal plane. Here you have to change the position of the swing-out mechanism.
- There is a screw on the side of the bottom hinge, which should be unscrewed with a four-sided key.
- Turning it clockwise will allow you to bring the sash closer to the hinge, and rotation in the opposite direction - to move away.
- To configure the mechanism in the form of scissors, you first need to open the sash and gain access to the device. There is an adjusting screw located on a fixed part.
- Rotating this screw counterclockwise allows you to remove the frame from the sash, in the opposite direction - zoom in. Manipulation is carried out using the same tetrahedral key.
Adjustment of Maco hardware on the plastic windows horizontally and vertically is carried out using a plumb line or building level. They allow you to accurately determine the correct ratio of the wings and frame.
It is quite simple to independently check the pressure density. A piece of paper is attached, after which the window closes. When pulling, note the degree of pressing at several points. Where the slightest pressure is observed, there is a problem place. Specialists resort to more professional verification methods - using a caliper and depth gauge.
Adjustment of window fittings on plastic windows for pressing is carried out in the following ways:
- Using the controller on the bottom loop.
- By changing the angle of inclination of the locking pins.
- The control screw, which is located on the rotary locking scissors.
The working process
Window fittings "Mako", like many other analogues, has a design that allows you to quickly adjust the clamp on the bottom loop. The element makes it possible to move the sash in three planes at once. The screw is located at the base of the loop and is adjusted with a TORX-15 wrench. This procedure allows you to configure the bottom of the sash.
The top is adjusted using a mechanism in the form of scissors. There is also a control screw, which is serviced by a standard hexagon. The operation scheme is simple: clockwise revolutions increase the pressure density, turns in the opposite direction weaken.
Adjustment of fittings on the plastic windows of Samara, as well as Mako, can be done using trunnions. These elements are movable heads of oval or round configuration. Details are placed on the end of the sash. The pins are interconnected by special devices, which can be verified by turning the handle with the window open.
Such a setting is advised to be performed only if the problem area is in the middle of the frame. It is advisable to carry out trunnion adjustments before the start of the winter period, since in the hot season, the constant opening and closing of the flaps leads to a weakening of the knot, which causes cold air to enter the room. In summer, it is better to loosen the trunnion, which allows even a little ventilation when the window is closed.
The regular placement of the trunnion is determined by an angle of 45 degrees between it and the vertical blade. This position refers to the medium mode. Do-it-yourself hardware adjustment of plastic windows is as follows:
- Turning the pin clockwise will increase the pressure level.
- Similar manipulation in the opposite direction weakens the clamp.
Work is performed using pliers or a spanner. Machined structure must be rotated without applying significant force. If you overdo it, the whole system may simply fail.
There is an opinion that the sash sag only in the open state. In fact, the problem can manifest itself in any position, just in closed mode it is not immediately noticeable. When the shutters are locked, the trunnions are aggregated with the oncoming levels. The result is friction that contributes to sagging.
In order to avoid this damage, manufacturers install special locks of the "micro-lift" type. This mechanism consists of a small lever, which is activated when the handle is activated. As a result, part of the load from the mass of the structure is transferred to the frame. Directly, the lock is responsible for partial braking of the handle, preventing it from opening when accidentally pressed.
Adjusting the fittings of Roto plastic windows, as well as many analogues, involves adjusting the lift-blocker during installation and during periodic maintenance. The protective element should be placed 1-1.5 mm below the bar. Correction is made using the TORX-15 key. First unscrew the lock, and then place it in the desired position. To simplify the procedure, a scale is preliminarily applied on which the unit of movement of the slider does not exceed 0.5 millimeters.
What to do when jamming the handle?
The process of adjusting GU hardware on plastic windows often includes a solution to the problem of jammed handles. A similar problem can occur due to improper location of the lock, quick opening or closing of the window, failure of the handle itself.
The problem is solved in the following ways:
- Try to turn the handle, holding the lock as close to the sash as possible.
- The second option is appropriate if the collapse occurred on scissors. The lock is gently held with one hand, and the other is trying to crank the handle. It is necessary to press the locking element carefully, it is advisable not to use your fingers, but a suitable object or tool.
It is worth noting that the use of excessive force in this case will not help. On the contrary, this can lead to damage to parts. If you cannot turn the knob following the above recommendations, there is probably a malfunction in the scissor or lock mechanism. In this case, replace the elements. The work should be entrusted to specialists, since it requires the use of a special tool and relevant skills.
Repair a loose handle
The handle on the double-glazed windows sometimes loosens. Especially this problem often arises if the installation technology of windows is violated.
It is not difficult to solve this problem by following these steps:
- First, the decorative strip, which serves to cover the inner filling, is shifted. The protection is cleaned carefully, in different ways, depending on the type of hardware (usually it is picked up with a sharp object, shifted to the side and removed).
- The screws fixing the main mechanism are tightened with a Phillips screwdriver. The force should not be excessive so that the plastic is not damaged.
- After checking the operation of the mechanism, the cover is mounted in its place.
The loosening of the handle does not play a significant role in the operation of the entire structure, however, there is a likelihood of a shortage of shutters, which reduces the life of the glass.
The types of accessories of plastic windows and their adjustment are considered above. As you can see, all these work can be done with your own hands, without special experience and skills. For carrying out manipulations, a special tool is not required. If you regularly adjust the window elements, you can significantly extend their service life and increase operational efficiency. For more complex work or in case of serious breakdowns, it is better to consult a specialist.