In our article you will learn how to make a DIY tool rack. If you are a true master of your craft, then one shelf for storing a tool is definitely not enough for you. Do not forget that the issue of storage of tools, materials and equipment is often very acute. Everything that can come in handy in repair should always be at hand. And the best way out of this situation is to make a convenient shelf.
What is a rack
Before you make a DIY tool rack, do you need to decide what it is? In fact, these are several shelves on which you can store any items. At the same time, they have maximum free and convenient access. Shelving can be:
- Floor standing.
You can also divide into angular and straight structures. They also differ in size - it all depends on what parameters the room has.
Materials for the manufacture
For the manufacture of using both metal and wood. Processing of the finished product is minimal, it is enough to apply a layer of paint so that the material is not damaged during operation. An aesthetic look is not the main thing in such a subject of a garage interior. Of course, you can get confused and make beautiful and aesthetic shelves from wood and plasterboard sheets, but is the game worth the candle? As a result, you get an expensive, non-mobile system, which will be completely useless in the garage.
The simplest rack
In any garage or workshop you can not do without at least a simple and inexpensive rack. On it you can store large tools, small ones in containers, various materials. Please note that the rack, regardless of whether it is metal or wooden, is preferably mounted on the wall. In the event that it is not possible to screw screws or wall plugs into the wall, it is better to choose a separately standing model.
We will consider a simple rack model with a shelf depth of 40.6 cm. But it should be noted that the total area of the shelves can be limited by doors and other objects. When manufacturing, it is necessary to make shelves with a depth of 40-60 cm. In this case, the rack does not take up much space in the room, and most importantly - there is enough space for storing various materials. Even an inexperienced person can make such a design, but you will have to use step-by-step instructions.
What you need to make
In order to make a tool rack with your own hands, you need to acquire materials and tools. The most important thing is the presence of boards from pine 50x100 mm, as well as plywood. The following tools are still needed:
- Screwdriver, screwdriver.
- Wood screws.
As for the boards, you will need to prepare such blanks:
- Planks of ends and front bases of pine shelves. In total, six such strips 243.8 cm long will be required.
- Trims for making legs - three pieces. The length of these planks should be the same as the height of the uppermost shelf.
- Planks for the manufacture of supports in the amount of 9 pieces. The length of each strap should be 30.5 cm.
- Plywood 40.6x121.9 cm for the manufacture of shelving racks.
Having all these materials, you can begin to manufacture a tool rack in the garage with your own hands.
Making a simple rack
And now let's move on to making the structure. You need to perform the following manipulations:
- First, make markings on the wall at the level of shelving. Check the horizontal layout using the level.
- Fasten with long screws to the wall of the strip, the length of which is 243.8 cm. They must be fixed at the level at which the shelves will be installed later. The height of the shelves is determined independently, it all depends on what you are going to store.
- You have three longest slats left, they need to be most accurately combined with those that are already fixed to the wall. Using two self-tapping screws or nails, it is necessary to make planks to simply fix the position.
- Take those slats that will later serve as legs - put one in the middle and two at the edges. They need to be connected only with the upper trims with self-tapping screws. Do not use more than 2-3 pieces in one connection. If you plan to store heavy objects, then you need to make the distance between the supports at least 70 cm.
- Remove additional fastenings for fixing from levels. As a result, the front part should be almost perfect.
- Now you need to prepare with the help of a special device pocket holes on nine slats.
- Fasten boards with pocket holes at right angles to the slats horizontally.
- Install the front part of the rack and fasten it with the help of long screws. They need to be screwed securely into pocket holes and crossbars.
- Now securely fasten the cut pieces of plywood on the frame.
Finishing is not necessary, but if you want, then apply several layers of paint and varnish. This will not only improve the appearance, but also significantly increase the life of the product.
It’s not difficult to make such a mobile rack for a tool with our own hands, now we’ll try to figure out the subtleties. It is ideal for those who do not have the opportunity to fix the entire structure to the wall. It will also be useful to those who have a need for a mobile version of the rack. In order to make the construction as cheap as possible, it is best to use wood as the basis. Pine is ideal - it is easy to process, durable and strong.
What you need to make a mobile structure
In order to independently make a mobile shelving, you need to get these blanks:
- boards with a section of 50x150 mm and a length of 2438 mm - in the amount of 15 pcs;
- boards with a section of 50x100 mm and a length of 2438 mm - 4 pcs;
- elements with a cross section of 25x50 mm and a length of 1828 mm - 10 pcs;
- boards 25x50 mm and a length of 2438 mm - 2 pcs;
- one board 50x50 mm;
- metal rods 1708 mm - 4 pcs;
- corner brackets - 4 pcs;
- furniture metal wheels at least 10 cm in diameter - 4 pcs;
- 50 mm long screws.
You will also need the availability of such materials:
- glue for carpentry;
- wood primer;
- paint or varnish.
A tool is also needed in order to make pocket holes, a drill, a level, a ruler and a tape measure, a pencil, a square, a saw, a grinder.
Cutting out the details
Before you make your own do-it-yourself tool rack from plywood, you need to cut the material according to this list:
- For shelves you need 15 boards with a section of 50x152 mm and a length of 1645 mm.
- In the amount of 10 pieces, the end elements of the shelves are a cross section of 25x50 mm and a length of 1683 mm.
- Side elements for shelves - section 25x50 mm, length 419 mm. You will also need 10 pieces.
- Side rails - 50x50 mm, length 279 mm. They also need 10 pieces.
- Vertical side posts - 4 boards with a section of 50x100 mm and a length of 1918 mm.
- Steel rods - 4 pieces of 1708 mm each.
Mobile shelf manufacturing procedure
You will need to make five identical shelves, each should consist of 7 elements. The article provides photos of tool racks. With your own hands to make a mobile structure, you need to make pocket holes in the slats. Then you need to collect three strips together using screws and glue, which is applied to the joints. Be sure to remove all excess glue immediately, otherwise after drying it will be problematic.
The drawing shows the design of the bookcase. Using it, you can make a similar design for tool storage. The separator can be used to separate some tools from others.
Further manipulations for the manufacture of a mobile shelving:
- On the short sides, place strips 41.9 cm long and 25 x 50 mm in cross section. To connect, you need to use glue and screws. Similarly, you need to connect the end faces with long shelves. After that, you can assemble the side racks using strips 1918 mm long and a cross section of 50x100 mm.
- On short slats, make pocket holes and connect using self-tapping screws and wood glue. After making the connections, you need to choose the most convenient location for the boundary rod of metal. For him, you need to prepare through holes. Drill as carefully as possible, away from the edges of the bar. Otherwise, the wood may collapse.
- Assemble the rack, you need to start by installing the upper and lower shelves. After that, in turn, attach the averages. Use self-tapping screws and glue to connect. Then you need to install the steel rods in the appropriate places. Make fasteners with nuts.
- In the place of fastening with screws, fill the recesses with putty in order to maximize the leveling of the surface. Using sandpaper or a grinder, remove all filler residues, and if there are major imperfections on the surface of the wood, they must also be removed. It is not necessary to make perfectly flat surfaces on the rack. But you need to take into account the fact that the design will be mobile, therefore, it must be safe during operation.
- After that, remove the dust and apply a protective compound to the wood (a stain is suitable). Leave to dry.
- If you wish, you can varnish the structure with wood. This treatment is not necessary, but it can protect the material from moisture, temperature changes, etc. Leave the rack for a while so that the varnish can dry.
- On the lower and upper corners of the product, use metal drills with a drill and screws.
- Gently lay the structure on the ground. Screw the metal furniture wheels to the bottom (at the corners) with screws.
This guide will allow you to assemble on your own not just a rack on which it will be convenient to store materials and tools, but a versatile, multifunctional garage interior item. If you wish, you can make some corrections. And such a rack can be put in the office, living room, in the summer kitchen.
Making a shelf rack
In the event that you regularly use tools, it will be convenient to use an open hinged rack. When working, you do not need to look for the right wrench or nuts, it will be enough to reach out your hand to get to the right tool. You can find various models - both simple and complex.
If the tool rack (photo is in the article) is used away from the workshop, then you can install the door on it. As a result, you get an aesthetically attractive design that will serve you for many years. But now let's look at how to make a shelf rack.
Materials and tools for the manufacture of shelving
In order to make a rack for a tool with your own hands, you need to acquire such materials and tools:
- Piano loops - 2 pcs., Length 762 mm.
- Magnetic latches - 2 pcs.
- Plastic containers (they must be the same) - 12 pcs. The dimensions of each are approximately 279x127x127 mm.
- Plywood - one piece measuring 200x100x19 mm, the second 200x100x6 mm.
- Perforated panel 200x100x6 mm - 1 pc.
- Device for making pocket holes.
- Screws, screws, screws.
- Joiner's glue.
- Electric drill, screwdriver.
- Miter and circular saws.
- Roulette, ruler.
It is also necessary to acquire personal protective equipment - glasses, a respirator, ear plugs.
Instructions for the manufacture of shelves
In order to make a rack for tools with your own hands, you will need to follow simple instructions:
- First you need to prepare the grooves on all the details of the main part of the structure to place a perforated panel in them. Also on the doors for fastening perforated panels, on the vertical elements of the lower compartment (on which dividing partitions are installed). The grooves should be approximately 6 mm deep. After you put the knife of the tool, you need to check the correctness of the settings on a small piece of wood.
- In order to reduce the chance of damage to plywood during the cutting of grooves, you need to apply adhesive tape at the site of the cut.
- Use screws and wood glue to assemble the frame structure. In order to avoid the destruction of wood and plywood, you need to use a special device - before connecting, you need to make pocket holes for the screws.
- Now you need to install the lower shelf using glue and screws.
- After that, through the upper part, you need to insert the perforated sheet into the grooves previously lubricated with wood glue.
- Using the pocket holes you need to attach the top cover.
- Lubricate the ends of the lower compartment walls with glue, then in turn you need to install everything in its place.
- Assemble three of the four door frame elements.
- Place the perforated plates in the grooves, lubricate the joints with carpentry glue.
- Attach the last element in each of the doors.
- Check if the hinges are the same for attaching the doors to the frame. Fit so that the hinges are about 2-4 cm shorter than the length of the door.
- Step back 1-2 cm from the edge, install loops on the screws. Attach the hinge rack to the chassis.
Now the simplest thing remains - put the plastic containers in the compartments and hang the rack on the wall. And then you can fill it at your discretion.