It is known that tea and coffee are the two most popular hot drinks in the world, which have won a huge number of supporters. It is believed that the inhabitants of planet Earth can generally be attributed to the representatives of the two camps, singling out coffee connoisseurs and those who prefer tea. “Tea or coffee - which is healthier?” - An important issue to understand.
Choosing between tea and coffee, most people are guided in their preferences by considerations of taste, less seems to be thought about the effect of these drinks on health. But scientists have long dealt with this issue and in their studies have come to conclusions that all lovers of coffee and tea should get to know.
Tea or coffee - which is healthier?
However, scientists consider these both drinks beneficial for human health, since it is proved that they contain active ingredients in their composition. But no scientist can make a clear conclusion that it is more beneficial to drink tea or coffee.
Tea: Species Diversity
There are several main types of tea, differing in both taste and aroma characteristics and the peculiar effect on the human body:
- Green. It has a weak oxidation state. It has a pronounced herbal aroma. The taste is slightly tart or sweet. Valued as a natural antioxidant. In its composition: carotenoids, polyphenols, vitamin C, minerals (zinc, manganese, selenium).
- The black. A strongly brewed drink normalizes digestion, is effectively used to treat typhoid fever, dysentery, and removes harmful substances from the body.
- White. It is made from unblown buds and young tea leaves. Not subject to heat treatment. Differs in light or yellowish color of dry mix. Known as tea of health and youth. Strengthens the immune system, heals wounds, increases blood coagulation, prevents the appearance of various diseases.
- Yellow . Elite tea made from young buds. On the palate there is a slight bitterness. Increases immunity, relieves headache.
- Oolong Close to black tea. It has a bright rich aroma with notes of chocolate, honey, flowers, fruits, spices. Contains essential oils, vitamins and healthy minerals. It has a positive effect on human health.
- Puer. It lowers blood sugar, improves the digestive tract, removes toxins, rejuvenates and tones the skin.
What types of coffee are there?
Coffee also has a huge variety of species. The most common include:
- "Arabica", which grows above sea level at an altitude of 900 to 2000 m. Grains of this variety are oblong in shape, with a smooth surface, slightly curved. During light roasting of the beans, the particles of coffee berries do not burn out completely.
- Robusta with more caffeine is considered less refined in terms of flavor.
According to various estimates, these two types account for up to 98% of all coffee produced in the world: Arabica accounts for 70% of the volume, Robusta - 28%. Other varieties that do not have industrial significance account for 2% of the global volume.
What is known to science about the effect of tea and coffee on the human body?
Those who are considering a choice: tea or coffee - which is healthier, and what is still preferred, will be curious to know that both of these drinks have both beneficial and harmful to human health properties.
The most common types of tea are black and green. Most often, it is the properties of these two popular tea varieties that are compared with the properties of coffee.
Useful properties of tea and coffee
- Both coffee and tea contain antioxidants.
- In black tea, the amount of caffeine is 2 times higher than in coffee: tea from 2.7 to 4.1%, coffee from 1.13 to 2.3%.
- Both drinks: both coffee and tea (black and green) contain polyphenols that protect against cancer, heart disease, etc.
For more information on the beneficial properties of tea and coffee, see the rest of this article.
Which is more useful?
Scientists have always been interested in the question of which of the drinks has a better effect on the human body. Tea or coffee: which is healthier? It will be easier to resolve this issue for yourself by reading the following information.
Tea (especially green), thanks to the tannins contained in it, helps to actively remove heavy metals from the body, strengthens blood vessels. In addition, the substances contained in it help in the prevention of cancer, diabetes, various gastric diseases.
Coffee is indispensable in the prevention of diseases such as cirrhosis, migraine, asthma, heart attack. Thus, knowing the state of his health, and based on his own tastes, everyone can make a decision about which of the drinks is preferable for him.
About the benefits of black tea
For a long time, there was an opinion among consumers that black tea is much healthier than coffee. The drink has many healing properties, although they are less pronounced than in green. It is known that tea (black), in addition to helping to eliminate toxins from the body, is able to simultaneously excite and calm the nervous system thanks to two substances contained in it, mutually complementing each other: caffeine (theine) and tannin (tannin).
Tannin tends to have a caffeine-inhibiting effect, so it persists in the body longer. In addition, black tea is able to slow down the leaching of calcium from bones, and is therefore considered to be a good prophylaxis of osteoporosis (decrease in bone density), especially when used with milk. Doctors recommend black tea for hypertensive patients. After drinking this drink, the normal level of pressure is restored quickly enough, which in the future does not rise too high.
So, black tea has a beneficial effect on the heart: reduces blood pressure and improves the condition of arteries. Compared to it, decaffeinated coffee contains higher cholesterol.
Dentists warn: do not use lemon and sugar when drinking tea. Packaged tea is convenient to use, but contains few useful properties.
Which tea to choose: black or green?
An interesting fact is that although green and black types of tea come from the same plant, they differ in a special process of leaf processing. When processed in black tea, more nutrients are lost than in green tea. Therefore, green tea is more beneficial to humans than black tea. It is known that in Japan, matcha green tea (powdered) is considered the most useful.
About the benefits of green tea
Many experts have recognized that the most beneficial for health is green tea, which is created from selected leaves torn from the top of the bush.
Green tea is an excellent tonic and invigorating agent that has a beneficial effect on the body in various diseases, including colds, as well as activating oxygen metabolism. Catechins in green tea increase cholesterol and blood sugar levels, strengthen blood vessels, help relieve fatigue and reduce stress exposure.
Vitamins contained in green tea enhance its healing and antioxidant properties. The drink protects cells, prevents destruction and extends their lifespan. In addition, in the heat with this drink you can quickly and easily quench your thirst. Doctors recommend drinking green tea during rehabilitation periods after serious illness.
So, green tea has a beneficial effect on the condition:
- teeth: the antioxidant contained in it prevents tooth decay;
- genitourinary system: among lovers of green tea the formation of kidney stones is prevented;
- bones: those who are interested in what is healthier, coffee or green tea should find out that green tea strengthens a person’s bones, and coffee, experts say, can cause osteoporosis;
- brain: green tea successfully prevents Alzheimer's disease;
- weight: green tea is able to enhance and improve metabolism in the body, while caffeine suppresses and decreases appetite.
What is the use of coffee?
Coffee, if consumed in small and reasonable doses, also has a positive effect on the human body. It is important to remember that coffee must be natural. Coffee lovers should not forget that the instant drink does not have natural caffeine, it is replaced by a chemical analogue of the substance. While in natural grain coffee it is contained. This drink, according to experts, is useful for people suffering from migraines, headaches, and vascular spasms.
The caffeine in the drink gives the body vitality and the necessary energy. Lovers of a cup of coffee in the morning should remember the benefits that this drink brings to their health:
- Coffee helps fight skin problems and signs of aging.
- Contributes to weight loss.
- It has beneficial effects on memory and increases concentration.
- Prevents the development of asthma and allergies.
- Strengthens hair.
- Fights the risk of developing oncology. It is known that coffee lovers are much less likely to suffer from cancer of the liver and colon. While the effect of anti-cancer tea by scientists has not yet been sufficiently studied.
- Helps to eliminate the manifestations of cellulite.
- In addition, coffee has a beneficial effect on the brain: it successfully prevents Parkinson's disease.
- The risk of diabetes is significantly reduced in those who drink up to 4 cups of coffee per day. No such qualities were found in tea.
- The use of coffee successfully prevents the formation of gallstone.
For gastritis, peptic ulcer and some other inflammatory diseases of the stomach or intestines, drinking coffee is not recommended. With hypertension, its use is also preferable to minimize, since coffee increases the load on the heart.
About the dangers of tea and coffee
With a competent approach to the use of tea and coffee, their beneficial qualities will fully manifest themselves, and the body will be guaranteed to be enriched with necessary vitamins and minerals. But we must not forget that along with the benefits of these drinks can have a negative impact on health:
- Tea and coffee, as well as red wine, compotes and a number of other drinks, tooth enamel is given a yellowish tint.
- The high caffeine content in coffee leads to a disruption of sleep among connoisseurs of this drink. Therefore, those who do not want to develop insomnia should not drink coffee in the afternoon.
- With tea and coffee, magnesium and potassium are washed out of the body, the absorption of folic acid and iron is difficult, vessels are narrowed. This is especially dangerous with atherosclerosis and hypertension.
- In addition, it has been proven that drinking large amounts of green tea is a burden on the liver.
- Those who systematically drink coffee may develop a dependence on this drink. In addition, mental health can be harmed, the pulse quickens, calcium, sodium, vitamins B6 and B1 are washed out of the body.
What is better to drink in the morning?
Caffeinated drinks are known to help wake up in the morning. Many people ask the question: what is more beneficial in the morning - tea or coffee? Experts believe that in terms of caffeine content, it is undoubtedly coffee. After all, caffeine in it: 380-650 mg / l, while in tea: 180-420 mg / l. As for tea, it is proved that it is more able than coffee to improve concentration.
The high caffeine content does not guarantee the effective performance of the drink as an alarm, scientists say. Here, an important role is played by the characteristics of the body. Coffee and tea are equally capable of invigorating in the morning. When choosing a morning drink, you should take into account your state of health and be guided by personal preferences.